ANOTHER "The Office meets. . . ." Sitcom? REALLY?!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
http://www.nbc.com/superstore

Why? Why do we need to have another sitcom that's "THE OFFICE meets. . . ."? When is this trend going to end? The format is played, it's played, enough is enough already. And why does this one have to be "meets FAMILY GUY"? Is comedy officially dead? Oh, and surprise-surprise, one of the aspects of this show is . . . sex! Whodathunk? A sitcom that has sex in it. That's a new one. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, and a sitcom that takes place in a store? Yeah, I had that idea back in 2006, so they stole my idea, I ought to sue them since you can apparently sue people for stealing ideas (there actually was a lawsuit over a stolen idea recently).

Drtooth

Reaction score
Still sounds better than that horrid "Odd Couple" remake. And really, Thomas Lennon is actually funny in other things. Here, he's just a poor man's Niles Crane.

That said, I wouldn't worry about anything with a "Something Meets Something Else" description. Those are for idiots anyway, and things are very rarely like those two things crossed together. It has the nasty little side effect of making everything seem like a ripoff of something when it's not. In fact, I once read that putting "Something Meets Something Else" as a description on an application for an adult swim pilot, it gets thrown out.

Plus, let's face it. It's a sitcom on NBC. It's not long for this world anyway.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Still sounds better than that horrid "Odd Couple" remake. And really, Thomas Lennon is actually funny in other things. Here, he's just a poor man's Niles Crane.
Dude, you and I both know that there's no other Felix Unger than Tony Randall. Walter Mathau was a pretty good Oscar in the movie (then again, Walter Mathau's good in those curmudgeonly roles), but he's no Jack Klugman. Matthew Perry as Oscar looks more like a deadbeat than a slob.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The original movie and TV roles are the characters. The movie versions of the characters have always paired greatly with each other. Look at the Grumpy Old Men films. The TV show is one of my favorite 70's sitcoms. This just seems like every lame attempt at a laugh track/audience style sitcom that didn't land in the past 10 years. There's something special about the traditional style sitcom that no one really gets anymore. It's all cheap laughs and obvious one liners without a real story to give them context. While I do like the new film style sitcom, I think the main reason why is that they value story over lame jokes (for the most part). If we want a good classic style sitcom, they're gonna need to put character and story and make the jokes naturally flow that way.

As for this series, I didn't see it and I really don't care much to see it. If it's actually good then getting attached to it will inevitably result in it being cancelled for some banal garbage that doesn't get an audience either. These more experimental office workplace comedies usually tend to disappear within a year or two Still bummed about Better Off Ted. Maybe it was too subversive for its own good.

But if it's rammed down the throats of the remaining Non-The Voice NBC viewers, it'll look like an even bigger failure than it could be. Remember Animal Hospital? No. Didn't think so.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Is NBC desperate for people to watch this show? I see promos for it everywhere on cable, irregardless of the channel, and they're talking about how even though the show hasn't aired yet, they're pushing you to watch the first three episodes online.

TV trivia fact: before a show can go to air, you have to have a minimum of three episodes completed.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Well "You,Me and the Apocalypse" is a new british show thats going to air on NBC on January 28 . I've watched it before,it's a pretty good show and very different from any of their other show,so hopefully that'll bring in the viewers even if "Superstore" fails.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Interesting, because that UNBREAKABLE KIMMI SCHMIDT was like some kind of an apocalypse cult being busted up by the fed and following the life of one of the cult members who decides to pursue a normal life again afterwards - it was supposed to be an NBC sitcom (basically by the same crew that did 30 ROCK) but they dumped it so it went straight to Netflix instead.

Anytime a show claims to be "different from any other show," it almost always turns out to be a lie, which is why I've pretty much all but given up on modern television.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Interesting, because that UNBREAKABLE KIMMI SCHMIDT was like some kind of an apocalypse cult being busted up by the fed and following the life of one of the cult members who decides to pursue a normal life again afterwards - it was supposed to be an NBC sitcom (basically by the same crew that did 30 ROCK) but they dumped it so it went straight to Netflix instead.

Anytime a show claims to be "different from any other show," it almost always turns out to be a lie, which is why I've pretty much all but given up on modern television.
I watched the first three shows and loved it.