Any Bronies on here?

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Yeah, put me in the camp that season 3 just wasn't up too snuff. However, that might have to do with just cramming too much into 13 episodes. One thing I've noticed occurring throughout all the episodes this season is that an episode will focus on a character, and essentially all the other characters get demoted to extras. An example of this is Wonderbolts Academy, where the majority of the episode just featured Rainbow Dash and a bunch of one-shot antagonist characters we don't care about. Apple Family Reunion literally just had Applejack and the other main Apple family members with all these new characters we won't likely see again with any real substance. Even my favorite episode of this past season, Too Many Pinkie Pies, really was a 100% Pinkie episode where the other main characters are essentially cameo roles. That sense of an true ensemble cast every episode was gone from this season. Hopefully season 4 will have a better balance.

And on an unrelated note, can they just make Princess Cadance a main character already so I won't feel so annoyed with Hasbro pushing her as such (seriously, on one of the discs of the season 1 Amazon-exclusive box set, Cadance is on the disc art for a season she didn't even appear in)?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I swear that all these shows rush these seasons out into production so there's not even so much as a month's wait. That could be the problem. I mean, we're used to seasons being 3-4 months apart, after episodes are slowly spread out over way too many months. Now we get all 13 episodes almost airing one after another. Adventure Time was only on like 2 or 3 years, and it's well into it's fifth season now, for example.

Not that I liked the wait. Kids' WB constantly killed me. And what's worse, when you missed an episode, there was no guarantee you'd see it again ever. I had to wait years and track stuff down on youtube to see certain episodes. Now everything's completely rushed out with no wait (with the unfortunate exception of Gravity Falls. 3 months wait for one episode, then almost another month for the next one?). probably what's going on here.

I don't really notice quality changes since, well, I've been watching them completely out of order, and I've missed quite a bit of them. So they all seem pretty much pretty much to me.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Now everything's completely rushed out with no wait (with the unfortunate exception of Gravity Falls. 3 months wait for one episode, then almost another month for the next one?). probably what's going on here.
Yeah, the scheduling is really screwy for that show. I really hope it doesn't hurt it in the long run.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd hate for it to be Chowdered/Flapjackked... the show is so popular that they rerun it over and over, yet refuse to show any new episodes thus killing its own ratings. But then again, I know networks that burned through 2 seasons of material in a single season.

I don't mind a wait as long as it doesn't hurt the show and they get a nice long time to get these things into production so the stories don't feel rushed.

Seriously... if viewers think Season 3 of Ponies wasn't great, they have to check out season 3 of the old TMNT cartoon. For every good, well written, memorable episode, there's like 3 that they completely rushed through. Mr. Ogg goes to Town? Bad ripoff of Mr. Mxyzptlk? Check. Terrible forced Pee Wee Herman impersonation? Check. :rolleyes:

And DON'T get me started on the Polarizoids!

snichols1973

Reaction score
If they decide to produce another season, it would be interesting to see a few more Cutie Mark Crusader stories, as they begin to discover their callings and possibly put their talents to good use in the community; as for now, the future is to ultimately be decided by the writers and other creative staff members....

mr3urious

Reaction score
Okay, I actually broke down and started watching this show from the beginning, and I'm enjoying it so far (I'm at the 5th episode at this posting).

I commend Lauren Faust for developing a positive show for little girls that doesn't hammer the messages of friendship down their throats, and making it well written enough so that older audiences can enjoy it, too. Plus, it doesn't feel too obviously like a giant toy commercial.

Just don't call me a Brony, for I don't consider myself a hardcore fan of MLP to call myself one. :big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm a casual fan, and I'd shudder to call myself a Brony. Much like I like Star Trek, but I'm far from a Trekkie (among other things, I like the new movie... like the rest of the natural world). I agree. This is one of the great girl's shows, right up there with Pepper Ann and Jem. Shame they don't get more. Bratz was atrocious. That really seemed like a toy commercial.

But then again, most well done cartoons get the unexpected adult audience because a good cartoon is written by people who love cartoons themselves and write what they want to see. This is one of those shows.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I'm almost scared to ask this but what are good episodes to watch?

I've only seen episodes with the young ponies and while they were ok, I didn't really think they were anything special.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I'm almost scared to ask this but what are good episodes to watch?

I've only seen episodes with the young ponies and while they were ok, I didn't really think they were anything special.
Eh, yeah, Cutie Mark Crusaders episodes aren't really good to start with.

If I were to really recommend an episode, I'd either go with the first 2-parter episode:

Or this episode if you want a gist of how the show has evolved now:

And these two are just fun episodes to watch (the latter of which was my first):

Drtooth

Reaction score
Eh, yeah, Cutie Mark Crusaders episodes aren't really good to start with.
I guess they're adorable, but they're not too much fun. At least, not as much fun as the one where Pinky clones herself.

And for those who haven't watched the show... Pinky Pie is the most hyper character on television. Like straight up tripping on Ecstasy hyper.

What? You think I'm not going to watch a cartoon with a crazy character like that?