Any Comic Book Readers Here On Muppet Central?

MGov

Reaction score
I've got a ton of Marvel and DC stuff from the 80's and early 90's. Mostly Spider-Man stuff, some X-Men and a lot of Fantastic Four. I'm really a fan of John Byrne's writing and art. Followed him over to DC when he re-launched Superman and then to Darkhorse for the Next Men.

I'll occasionally page through a few books every once in a while now but I really stopped buying comic books when they began being about making money and and well written stories and art were secondary.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I'm all about comics. Mostly I'm a Marvel man because DC tends to have story lines that include way too many dimensional portal storylines that are hard to follow. I was big into DC until they temporarily changed Supes outfit to that "Electric Blue" fiasco. However I just started picking up the "Superman/Batman" title because Ed McGuiness is one of my new favorite artists. Otherwise, DC's too out there for me. And I don't care for their new All Star line at all. Frank Cho's "Liberty Meadows" I only get for the art, but I love when he does a mini series with Marvel like the Shanna The She Devil story he did last year. I love every F4 title, even the Ultimate F4. I used to love independent comic books until so many hacks got into it that it's too much time to look and find what's good and what's not.

The problem with comics is that I don't believe they're hooking new fans. Most devout collectors/readers are guys in their late 20s to early 40s. Kids'll pick up an Ultimate Spider-Man here and there, but I don't see any new fans coming out in the hundreds. I think it shows too, because Wizard seems to be more about movies nowadays then comics. I just don't see comics carrying on and creating new fans like it used to.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
From my experience, Dave, the bulk of young comic fans these days have latched on to Manga books. I taught a few cartooning classes recently, and that's ALL the kids wanted to draw, and frequently brought in countless Manga books (read 'em back to front!) as reference material. At least they're reading comics, I guess.

But I tell ya, it's miles away from my own childhood reading experiences, sitting in my bedroom pouring through issues of Marvel's Star Comics imprint, enthralled by the adventures of Spider-Ham (my favorite!), Muppet Babies, Fraggle Rock, Ewoks, Madballs, Top Dog and Heathcliff. As far as I'm concerned, those were the best comics for kids EVER, and sadly, also the last hurrah for kid's comics.

Maybe I'll try to revive Spider-Ham myself and see if Marvel bites...?

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
I personally LOVE Sonic the Hedgehog. I read some manga from time to time, but they are kinda expensive for my tastes. So I read, just don't own it yet. I love to draw and try out comic paneling. It's quite relaxing.