Any George Harrison Fans?

DisneyNut

Reaction score
Hello! Just wanted to see if there were any George Harrison fans out there on this board. There's been so much stuff to buy recently with "The Concert for George" and the reissues and the box set and all that. Plus the Grammy win and the Rock n roll Hall of Fame induction. I'm a huge fan of George Harrison and The Beatles in general. Any other fans over here?

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Indeed I am. I even have his appearance on Rutland Weekend Television (but only the part where he does the "Pirate Song").

It's about time they released a box set of the Dark Horse releases - they've been OOP for what, a decade? Really good music that's sadly been overlooked. And the bonus DVD, with the videos? DROOL, DROOL ... it'll be nice to replace the VHS copies I have. It's just too bad the DVD doesn't have "Blow Away," "All Those Years Ago," "Save The World," "True Love" (directed by his chum Eric Idle and featuring a cameo by Neil Innes, I hear) or any Wilbury videos - now those I would dig having on DVD (my copy of "True Love" is blurry and the sound is outta sync; hopefully I can work with the sound). Despite its minor flaws, I still can't wait to get this set.

Oh, and Ryan, I still can't believe you haven't heard "All Things Must Pass" - you ain't no Beatles fan unless you've heard this. Get the remastered version w/ the color cover - a much better bang for your buck. :wink:

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
Which is the video of him in a baby carriage? Is it True Love? If so, that one is extremely rare.

I've been meaning to pick up the Concert For George but we're moving next month and we can't spare the cash. But soon. You're right about them leaving so many videos off the compilation....why couldn't they just all come out at once? I love the Wilbury video's. He was always very proud of putting that band together it seemed! They always looked like they were having a ball.

My favourite clip I have of George is his appearance on Saturday Night Live in 1975 when he appeared with Paul Simon. They did Here Comes The Sun and Homeward Bound duet style, with Paul doing a solo verse in George's song and vice versa. I actually like that version of Homeward Bound better than the S&G version (sorry Erin, if you read this, but have you heard it??? Shivers!!!!!!)

I had most of his stuff on vinyl at one point, and wouldn't mind indulging in some of the reissues.

eric

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Smy Guiley said:
Which is the video of him in a baby carriage? Is it True Love? If so, that one is extremely rare.
You're thinking of the video for "Crackerbox Palace."

Oh, and speaking of Concert For George, I think that's airing on PBS this Wednesday at 9 PM.

DisneyNut

Reaction score
I love CFG. I watched it in the theaters when it was out and have watched the DVD a bunch of times. I haven't got the box set yet...have to wait for my next pay check. I can't wait though. I think with the missing videos, we can proably count on a future release of video material like the Lennon Legend DVD. That would be wicked cool!

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I like George Harrison a lot, though I'm not that familiar with most of his solo work. I think he had a really nice personality and his contribution to the Beatles was underrated. He just seemed really calm and humble and spiritual, and I think he was a great musician.
Erin

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Also, when I was a newbie here, my old signature had a quote of his:

"Beware of sadness. It can hit you ... it can hurt you ... make you sore and what is more - that is not what you are here for." Good advice.

DisneyNut

Reaction score
If you'd like to listen to some of his music, Radio@Netscape (or AOL) has an all George radio station celebrating his induction into the HOF. It's pretty limited as far as his catalogue goes (it plays off of Brainwashed, All Things Must Pass, and the two greatest hits discs) but it is featuring a lot of his best work. Give me Love, Give me peace on Earth.

Beebers

Reaction score
George Harrison and his music timeline followed my own life timeline.

When the Beatles first came to the U.S. to appear on the Ed Sullivan Show, and we all went crazy for them, we had just been through the Kennedy assassination and we knew we were in for very rough times ahead. We needed their cheer, their style, and their homages to American blues and pure rock and roll that wove themselves through every song.

Here Comes The Sun came along when I was teetering on that perilous ucky brink of Teenagerness, and when every young man in my town and whom I cared about had no future other than a draft number for a deadly fiasco in a jungle far away. This song's quiet optimism and calm assurances -
and I say, it's allright . . .
were desperately needed.

The Traveling Wilburys, those guys had a blast, gave us great music, and only ended due to Roy Orbison's early death. The Wilburys gave Orbison new hope after his wife and children had passed on.

That cover of Homeward Bound, it's ethereal. I too find it superior to S/G, and nobody does S/G better than S/G with that single exception.

Harrison's gifts to us of music timely and timeless are unmatched.

Whatever

Reaction score
My mom always talks about how awful Ed Sullivan was. I bought the Muppet Magic DVD of Muppets on his show and she was so shocked that he threatened to give Big Bird the bird. She says it would've been a huge deal back then. That's all she can remember from that DVD.