Any Green Acres fans here?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This show was such a hoot, it was funny! Oliver and Lisa Douglas aren't exactly the perfect couple, but they provide laughs. Eb is always clueless, but he's my fave! (especially when he calls Oliver and Lisa, Mom and Dad). Mr. Haney is a funny character, being the con-artist that he is, but Pat Buttram has always been one of my favorite actors. All of the Hooterville citizens have there place on the show, Mr. Drucker, Hank Kimbell, the Monroe Brothers, and The Ziffels. Anyone else here like this show?

McFraggle

Reaction score
Yeah, I like Green Acres. It's the place to be!

P

Princeton

As far as TV Land shows are concerned, it has the best theme song I've ever heard!!!!! :sing: Darling, I luv ya, but gimme Park Avenue! :sing: :wink:

Ziffel

Reaction score
Oh yes I LOVE this show. "Green Acres" is my favorite show of all time. It's why I chose my name here to be Ziffel. Arnold Ziffel the pig is great, but I get an even bigger kick out of his "father" Fred Ziffel! And Doris rocks too.
Just like SS, Green Acres is loaded with lots of well developed characters like Mr. Drucker, Mr. Haney, Eb Dawson, Newt Kiley, Hank Kimball, the Monroe "brothers", and so many more! And the two leads, Oliver and Lisa Douglas, played by Eddie Albert and Eva Gabor were fantastic. Eddie Albert is a great classic actor anyway. But the interesting thing is that he usually had more serious roles. And yet in this show he was extremely funny!
Kind of like Carroll O'Connor was really a great serious actor, but in "All in the Family" he has one of the most hilarious roles in television ever.
I never get tired of "Acres". It's a great pick-me-up. If I'm a little down and pop in a tape of this show, the numerous belly laughs are on the way!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Wow, you ARE a big fan. I agree, Eddie is a great actor. I saw him this one time in a mini series where he was an attorney, I thought of Green Acres and thought "well, I guess once a lawyer, always a lawyer.) I'm sure you probablu have both seasons 1 and 2 on DVD huh? Clear as a bell, and UNCUT!!

Ziffel

Reaction score
You betcha! I have both seasons 1&2 on dvd. I had preordered season 2 on Amazon in February and was eagerly awaiting my copy to arrive on April 10th. As soon as season 3 becomes available, I'll put in my order.
Yeah, it's great to have complete uncut shows and in such good quality.
Here's one of my favorite episodes from season 2:

Willie the well witcher! Oliver discovers that every time a farmer digs a new well it causes someone else's water supply to dry up. That person's only recourse is to utilize the services of Willie the well witcher to try to locate a new well. Mr. Drucker explains to Ollie that it was a 1912 Hooterville law. It reads, "If person A digs a new well and it taps into the water supply of person B, then person B is just plain out of luck." Oliver says, "That sounds pretty high handed." Mr. Drucker says, "That's what it was called - The high handed act of 1912." Great stuff! But the ending gets even better. Ollie tried to do the sensible thing and have a water reservior built in Hooterville to eliminate the constant drying up of water. But it doesn't work out as planned, so the town enacts an update to the 1912 law. It now reads the same as before but with the following addition, "And if anyone ever tries to change this law he will be subject to a $5000 fine or 6 months in jail." Oliver says, "Well that's a stupid and ridiculous law!" Sam Drucker says, "That's what it's called - The stupid and ridiculous law of 1966." I love it! Loved the frequent surrealism of Green Acres too. Great show!
By the way, do you have the book "The Hooterville Handbook: A Viewer's Guide to Green Acres"? It came out in 1993. I bought it at the time. An obvious must for fans of the show. Well, not a must. Well, yeah actually it is a must. Then again... ( Just kidding. A little Hank Kimball for you there! :smile: )

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I haven't seen the handbook, no. But then again, I've only been a Green Acres fan for about a year now. My parents always introduce me to these wonderful, clean, classic sitcoms they grew up with, but Green Acres is a little different, a little special. I can't wait for season 3 either, I have a lot of favorites from that season.

ceecee

Reaction score
I watched "Green Acres" on Nick@Nite when I was a kid. Love it! It has one of the greatest tv theme songs ever. I also like how they had to climb up the telephone pole to use the telephone.

Tim Kelly

Reaction score
One of my all-time favorite shows. Found it on a UHF station when I was a tween back in the early 80s, and am thrilled that it's out on DVD!

Ziffel

Reaction score
Green Acres avatar!

Woohoo! I like this avatar of Fred Ziffel I have now. Been wanting something like this by my name. Now that it's here, let me quote what Fred would say: "Well I'll be doggoned!"