Any Green Acres fans here?

Ziffel

Reaction score
Thanks :smile: And I can honestly say that I look MUCH younger than Fred Ziffel!

Ziffel

Reaction score
R.I.P. Eddie Albert

Aw man what a thing to come home to. An ap story that Eddie Albert died today. :cry: The ap story got his age wrong too. They said he was 99, but he was really 97 (born in 1908). The amazing thing is earlier today at work I was talking about Eddie Albert with someone. I told them he has just three more years to go until he is 100. We were saying maybe he'll achieve that feat like George Burns did. Sadly, he didn't. Still, the Lord blessed him with a very long life.
"Green Acres" is my favorite sitcom of all time and Eddie was so spectacular in it. Also on the way home from work I heard someone on the radio talking about the remake of the 1974 movie, "The Longest Yard". That was a real good movie and Eddie Albert was really good in it as the cruel warden.
R.I.P. Eddie. I'll continue to enjoy you on my dvds!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
My glasses must be dirty or something, because I thought you just said Eddie Albert died.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Sadly, your glasses are squeaky clean. : (
Often when I watch Green Acres (which is often itself!) I feel good as I see Eddie on the screen thinking of the fact that he is still living 40 years later. Sigh. I thought he was going to make 100 like George Burns and Bob Hope. Other news sources are also reporting his birth year at 1906, making him age 99. Maybe I spoke too soon at saying he was 97. A time almanac I have says he was born in 1908, though. And so does my "Hooterville handbook" Green Acres book from 1993! As well as IMDB.com.
Well at least we still have Eb and Mr. Drucker with us! Eb is 67 now and Sam is 90. And the Monroe brothers are also still here! (Alf is 85 and Ralph is 80).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Eddie, you will be sorely missed. :sympathy: :frown: :cry:

TVTome.com also states his year of birth as 1908. I knew he *was* living to an old age, I read at the Green Acres homepage that he had a visit from a fan who said he was 93, and doing great.

Like Barbara Eden is best remembered as Jeannie, and Alan Alda is best remembered as "Hawkeye", I will always remember Eddie as Oliver Wendall Douglas. I now know, I'll always be proud of my scale model of the Green Acres farm.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Yes definitely, he will be best remembered as Oliver Wendall Douglas. He did a great job developing that character. It's the same with Jackie Gleason best being remembered as Ralph Kramden, Carroll O'Connor best remembered as Archie Bunker, and Don Knotts as Barney Fife (although Knotts' Ralph Furley was also extremely popular and rightly so. He was VERY FUNNY!)

D'Snowth said:
I can't wait for season 3 either, I have a lot of favorites from that season.
One of the first ones I am going to watch when I get the third season is "The Rutabaga Bowl" , one of my favorites. :smile: And in the fourth season I will eagerly be looking for "Old Mail Day." That was so funny. Sam Drucker cleans out his store once a year and then distributes any mail he found that got lost in the shuffle, dropped behind the counter, etc. And on this 'old mail day" he is pleased to announce he found a letter going way back to 1918! It was addressed to Fred Ziffel! Fred opens it and says, "Well I'll be doggoned! I've been drafted. It says here I'm to report to Fort Yapank." I think Oliver asked him who signed that letter and Mr. Ziffel says Woodrow Wilson!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
My all-time favorite from season 3 is the one (I can't remember the title), where two bankrobbers, Barney and Clyde hold Oliver, Lisa, and Eb hostage in their house, while Arnold goes to the rescue. There's nothing that Arnold can't do!

Ziffel

Reaction score
That one is called, "Arnold, Boy Hero". The bank robbers robbed the Pixley Bank as Arnold was trying to open up an account there. :smile:
Yes, Arnold could do it all. As Fred would proudly say, "That's my boy!"

Ziffel

Reaction score
D'Snowth and you other "Green Acres" fans, take a look at jumptheshark.com and the comments on "Green Acres". 80% of people voting say it never even jumped the shark. That's a super high percentage. Just about any other show I've seen has a majority of people specifying a time it jumped the shark. A great testament to the greatest show of all time! Also, the comments themselves give extremely high praise to "Green Acres" (And I do mean EXTREMELY!) A lot of fun reading some of those. Just like it's great at this site reading all the praise and appreciation to Jim Henson and the muppets and the rest of the SS cast and crew!