Any Green Acres fans here?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That's pretty cool! The number one thing that people believed that jump the shark was Alf and Ralph. The last time I visited jumptheshark.com was when I was checking out Rocky and Bullwinkle, and I remember saying to myself "these people are upset just because they added a laugh track?"

Ziffel

Reaction score
A little surprising that the Monroe brothers lead the jump the shark votes. Everyone I've ever heard comment on them likes them. On Sesame Street, however, it's not at all surprising what by far made the jump the shark list - ELMO! But I would have voted for, "When they got rid of the vintage stuff".

Ziffel

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
Other news sources are also reporting his birth year at 1906, making him age 99. Maybe I spoke too soon at saying he was 97. A time almanac I have says he was born in 1908, though. And so does my "Hooterville handbook" Green Acres book from 1993! As well as IMDB.com.
D'Snowth said:
TVTome.com also states his year of birth as 1908.
Looking at a "Green Acres" site today I found this explanation given for the age discrepancy:
"According to his birth certificate, he was born April 22 1908, however according to recent reports, his mother may have changed his birth certificate because she was single at the time of his birth, so he may have actually been born on April 22, 1906. That would have made Eddie 99."

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Hey Ziffel, maybe you can help me out...I was watching Green Acres reruns on TV Land the other night where they were having a tribute to Eddie Albert. In one episode, the front porch had two support beams, one at each end of the railing. Then in the next episode, there was a third beam that sandwiched the right porch railing. Was there an actual episode where Oliver puts it up, or did it just appear out of nowhere.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Nice observation there, D'Snowth. I never noticed that. I'll have to look for it. I don't recall Oliver ever adding another beam on the porch. Maybe the set directors at one point thought it appropriate to add a third one. That railing on the left hand side that Oliver kept having to fix because it would fall down was a riot. As was the doorknob that kept coming off. And the hole in the porch that Mr. Kimball's foot fell through and was sprained. That episode was really cool because Hank was in it the whole show and not just the usual 2 or 3 minute appearance.
By the way, check out this neat comment in "The Hooterville Handbook: A Viewer's Guide To Green Acres". In their chapter on the stars of the show this is the first thing they say about Fred Ziffel:

"Fred Ziffel looked a bit like a Jim Henson muppet that's seen one show too many."

Wow! Comparing Fred Ziffel with the muppets! And here I am a member of Muppet Central with the user name of Ziffel! You can't beat that!! :big_grin:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
Nice observation there, D'Snowth. I never noticed that. I'll have to look for it. I don't recall Oliver ever adding another beam on the porch. Maybe the set directors at one point thought it appropriate to add a third one. That railing on the left hand side that Oliver kept having to fix because it would fall down was a riot. As was the doorknob that kept coming off. And the hole in the porch that Mr. Kimball's foot fell through and was sprained. That episode was really cool because Hank was in it the whole show and not just the usual 2 or 3 minute appearance.
By the way, check out this neat comment in "The Hooterville Handbook: A Viewer's Guide To Green Acres". In their chapter on the stars of the show this is the first thing they say about Fred Ziffel:

"Fred Ziffel looked a bit like a Jim Henson muppet that's seen one show too many."

Wow! Comparing Fred Ziffel with the muppets! And here I am a member of Muppet Central with the user name of Ziffel! You can't beat that!! :big_grin:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Poor Fred Ziffel. I've noticed that third beam was in a very latter episode if that helps.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Wow, I was just looking at Amazon.com and clicked in the 1993 "Green Acres" book "The Hooterville Handbook: A Viewer's Guide to Green Acres".
The lowest price used or new that this book is being sold for is $42.00. I bought it for $12.95 back at the time. Must be a fairly rare book. Also is another great testament to the show! On Ebay, however, someone is offering it for $9.99. But also at Ebay someone is selling it for a whopping $200 because it is autographed by Eddie Albert, Alvy Moore (Hank Kimball), Sid Melton (Alf), Paul Henning (the executive producer), and the book's author and cover artist.

An aside: Speaking of Paul Henning, I loved how the show would often have the characters see and talk about the names of the director, writer, and executive producer at the opening of the show. One of my fave lines in this regard:
Lisa: (After Oliver dries off with a towel that says 'Executive Producer - Paul Henning' ) "You used to shwipe towels from hotels, now you shwipe them from executive producers!"

Ziffel

Reaction score
You must mean the Hooterville book, not the television show "Green Acres" right Mrs. Pepper? Heh Heh.
Yeah it's not surprising that it might be a rare book and that a lot of people wouldn't have heard of it because I remember it didn't last long on the shelves of the local Waldenbooks back in 1993. Good thing I happened to walk in the store one day shortly after its release so I could grab my copy.
Oh, and it's a paperback, by the way. Another reason why the minimum $42 price at Amazon impressed me.