Any Laurel and Hardy fans?

Ziffel

Reaction score
Dantecat had a thread a while ago asking if there are any "Three Stooges" fans so I thought I'd inquire about "Laurel and Hardy." I really liked this duo a lot. I'd have to give the slight edge to the Stooges because the laughs just came so constantly. But I loved "Laurel and Hardy" too. Hardy was my fave. It was a pleasure just to hear him talk. (I felt the same way about Jackie Gleason, of whom there are some similarities).
Some lines I loved by Oliver Hardy:
(1) "That's another fine mess you've gotten us into" - He said that a bunch of times.
(2) "Why don't you be more careful?!" - Ditto!
(3) "I really couldn't care less." - Hopefully that's not what some of you are thinking right now!
(4) "Hardboiled eggs and nuts! Hmmmph!"
(5) "A jigsaw puzzle? I'm getting married this afternoon. I won't be having time for such childish balderdash!"
(6) Hardy: "I have a lot of work to do." Laurel: "Mind if I help you?" Hardy: "I don't mind; that is, if you'll HELP me."
(7) (After Laurel bumps his head against a sloped ceiling five times in a row) "How anyone could be so dumb, as to stand there and repeatedly bang their head against the wall, is beyonnnnd me!" - And then Hardy bumped his head too, which was the main joke. But to me, the biggest humor was in the way he said that last line!
(8) "Dohhhhhhhhh hohohohoooooo!" - many,many times when Hardy would get hit with an object, slip and fall, etc. I felt sorry for him whne this happened but at the same time absolutely LOVED the sound he made!

Okay, eight is enough. :smile:

And an inside joke from the other day: Lefty the Salesman to Ernie: "And if you want to know how many times Ziffel quoted Hardy ... you look at the 8."
Ernie: "Oh! Eight quotes!" Lefty: "Shhhh shhhhhhh!" Ernie: "Eight quotes."
Lefty: "Riiiiiight."

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Great comedy duo.My favorite memory is watching their version of Babes in Toyland(March of the Wooden Soldiers),the Bogemen used to frighten me.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Yeah they did a great job with that movie. Generally though, I preferred their short movie films to their later full length feature movies. They were at their best then. All of my quotes above come from the shorts except the one about banging the head against the wall, which was in "Flying Deuces."
I've heard a lot of people over the years say their favorite L&H short was the one where they carried a piano up a huge flight of stairs (called "The Music Box"). That was a fun one but I thought several others were funnier, like the hospital one. Absolutely riotous!

Ziffel

Reaction score
Well here's a little different twist. I post a thread about "Laurel and Hardy" three days ago and now I am reading one of my online daily devotionals I like to read (The "Today" devotional) and the comic duo is mentioned in the first sentence. :smile:

Here's today's Today in its entirety for anyone who would like to see it:

1 Peter 1:3-9 MONDAY, JULY 4
THE GREATEST COMBINATION
You believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy. 1 Peter 1:8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Many of us have heard of these famous combinations: Laurel and Hardy. Rodgers and Hammerstein. Bacon and eggs. Peanut butter and jelly. Fish and chips. Some of us can hardly think of one without the other.
The Westminster Catechism highlights another famous combination when it asks about the main purpose of being human. The answer: "To glorify God, and to enjoy him forever." "Glorify" and "enjoy" are holy affections, and together they make up the greatest combination we can ever experience. To do either one rightly is to do the other. Pastor and preacher John Piper suggests the following connection in his book Desiring God: our purpose is to glorify God by enjoying God-so that in our enjoyment of, delight in, desire for, and satisfaction in God, God is glorified now and forever. And as God is glorified, our joy is multiplied!
Jonathan Edwards, commenting on our passage for today, said the following about the early Christians to whom Peter was writing: "Their joy was full of glory. While rejoicing with this joy, their minds were filled with a glorious brightness. It was a most worthy and noble rejoicing. The anticipation of the joy of heaven raised their minds to glorious bliss, and filled them with the light of God's glory, making them shine with the expression of that glory."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PRAYER
O Lord, "satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love, that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days." In the name of our Savior, Jesus, we pray. Amen.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
I've heard a lot of people over the years say their favorite L&H short was the one where they carried a piano up a huge flight of stairs (called "The Music Box"). That was a fun one but I thought several others were funnier, like the hospital one. Absolutely riotous!
This one was called "County Hospital". Not sure if you've seen this one, Janice, or anyone else here but I rewatched it yesterday on the VHS tape I have of it. And just wanted to say that this is Laurel at his densest best! Wow what comic brilliance he displays in this one! As he does hilarious stupid things over and over, his clueless, blank, pale faced expressions are just perfect. And the music background does a great job of giving the sound and mood effect of, "Boy this guy is just about the biggest simpleton in the world, huh?". LOVED it!