Any Mel Blanc Fans?

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone here likes Mel Blanc and his work? I have always been a fan of his and was pretty sad in 1989 when he passed away. Although I was only 8 years old at the time, I already knew who he was. It was really hard for me, and still is to watch The Jetson's Movie. Due to the fact that it was Mel Blanc's last performance as Mr. Spacely, and the fact that he died during the making of this movie and Mr. Spacely was replaced halfway through is pretty sad also. I am however happy that he lived to the ripe age of 81. I think he was a very talented Man, and I love all his charachters and everything he did. Just out of curiosity, how do the rest of you feel about Mel Blanc?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Of course! Who isn't a fan of "the man with 1000 voices?".

Did you know he was, in real life, actually allergic to carrots?

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
Did you know he was, in real life, actually allergic to carrots?
I think that's one of those urban legends. (It could even be one of those urban legends that he used to tell himself.) As I've heard it, the truth is, he just didn't like carrots.

They tried all different vegetables, but none of the others had the right crunch sound. So, he would bite the carrots and chew them up while recording the dialogue, then spit them out into a waiting bucket.

By the way, he didn't die half-way through The Jetsons movie. I think there are only a few lines that are covered by an impersonator. But then, a few of George O'Hanlon's (George Jetson) lines are also looped by someone else, because he died during the production, too. The reason I can't watch that movie is because they replaced Janet Waldo's (Judy Jetson) voice with Tiffany. And Janet was and is still very much alive.

:stick_out_tongue:

Xerus

Reaction score
Yes, Mel Blanc was the man of 1000 voices. And I've always admired his work. Along with the voicers of the past like Daws Butler and Don Messick. And voice artists of today like Rob Paulsen, Maurice Lamarche, Kath Soucie, and the very famous Frank Welker.

Rosewood

Reaction score
I've always been a loyal fan of Mel's.....

I have always admired the emmense talent of Mel Blanc. When I was first told, as a kid, that he did all those cartoon voices of all the different characters I watched each morning, I could't believe it! But then I started looking at the credits, and, sure enough, his name was usually the only one shown. Ever since then I've always had an admiration for this "Man with 1,000 voices".

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
But then I started looking at the credits, and, sure enough, his name was usually the only one shown.
Not to poke a hole in your admiration, or to take anything away from a very talented actor, but that single credit was contractual. He made a deal with Warners in the 40's. They wouldn't give him any more money, so they gave him sole credit. No one else was allowed to be credited. There are many other actors in those cartoons, most notably Arthur Q. Bryan as Elmer Fudd.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
I bought Mel Blanc's autobiography way back in 1988 (just before he died), and in it he confirmed that he is, indeed, allergic to carrots. Talk about irony (and carrots are a good source of iron)!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Was Once Ernie said:
Not to poke a hole in your admiration, or to take anything away from a very talented actor, but that single credit was contractual. He made a deal with Warners in the 40's. They wouldn't give him any more money, so they gave him sole credit. No one else was allowed to be credited. There are many other actors in those cartoons, most notably Arthur Q. Bryan as Elmer Fudd.

And don't forget other greats like June Foray as characters like Granny, and Witch Hazel.

F

furryredmonster

Ok, don't think I am crazy for asking this question but, who is Mel Blanc? *insert laughing smile*

Rosewood

Reaction score
Was Once Ernie said:

Don't worry, no hole poked. I had a feeling there were some voices he didn't do, I just never knew which ones (Untill now! Thanks for the info!). Here's another interesting piece of trivia: did you know that, due to his contract with WB, he was never allowed to speak certain lines, (like "What's up, Doc?"), in their character voices, outside of the WB studios? I learned this in an interview one of the major news channels did with him. They asked him to do a small performance of his talent on the air, and when they asked him to repeat one of those famouse lines, he explaned how he couldn't, due to restrictions in his contract agreement with WB.