Any mentions of Mr. Hooper after he died?

Brian Kendig

Reaction score
After the Goodbye Mr. Hooper episode so long ago, have there been any mentions of Mr. Hooper in the show? Anyone saying anything about him, remembering him fondly, mentioning him in idle conversation, anything at all?

I saw the segment where Gordon makes an egg cream for Telly and does a brief but fun impersonation of Mr. Hooper. What year was that episode from?

Is Big Bird's drawing of Mr. Hooper still on the wall beside Big Bird's nest?

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Hello, and welcome to Muppet Central. Last I checked the picture is still there, and yes there have been mentions one time some rich bird offered Big Bird thousands of bird seeds for his drawing of Mr. Hooper..and another time in the 35th anniversary special Grover took Elmo on a tour of Sesame Street before he debuted, and he sees Mr. Hooper outside his store. Another almost reference is Little Red Riding Hood going to Sesame Street and mistakenly call Alan "Hooper"...Alan tries to explain, but she keeps interrupting.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
In 2001 A&E ran a special on Sesame Street, and Mr. Hooper was briefly mentioned, as were his successors- Mr. Handford, Gina, and Alan.
I would imagine Mr. Hooper's picture is still hanging by Big Bird's nest (Carroll Spinney drew it himself).

There is a place in New York, on 5th Avenue by 23rd street, called Eisenberg's. This deli is the closest I've found to have the same atmosphere as Hooper's. It's been in business since 1929, same decor, there's a long counter with swivelling barstools, a soda fountain, and yes, you can get an egg cream too ( great for washing down their Pastrami sandwiches).

Brian Kendig

Reaction score
Thank you all. :smile: The character made a big impression on me when I was a kid, and I've always missed him.

I will go add the information y'all provided to Mr. Hooper's wiki article!

Bridget

Reaction score
Awwwwww! It is isn't it? That's great!

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I believe it was 1983-84, but it was David trying to make an egg cream like Mr. Hooper.
After a number of botched attempts, he made a good egg cream, not like Hooper's but uniquely his own.

You can make one yourself:
In a tall glass, put in a splash of milk, enough to cover the bottom of the glass.

Add a generous amount of chocolate syrup (Purists insist on Fox's U-Bet syrup. but Hershey's will do just fine. But stay away from Bosco!!!!)

Slowly pour in seltzer, stirring as you pour. By the time you fill the glass you should have a thick, frothy head. Do not overflow.

Cheers. You created a New York favorite, it's that simple.

Bridget

Reaction score
If I hate it, I'm coming after you LOL.