1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Anybody think you're weird for watching Sesame Street?

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by nickanap, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I watch SS and Care Bears and My Little Pony and all sorts of 80's cartoons and anime :excited:
  2. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

My Little Pony is trippy!:eek: The Care bears are cool, but their no Sesame street to me, though.
  3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

That sums up what makes the Muppets special to me. I know they're puppets, everyone knows they're puppets... and yet, the suspended disbelief of seeing them perform... they come more alive than most living, breathing, human actors. Even if you see them perform them in person, there's someone holding them up... they come alive. It's not just magic, but talent on the parts of the puppeteers and puppet artisans.

I find that rediculous myself. Care Bears is purely for a younger audience. Much as I like Mr. beastly, I pretty much want to disavow the fact I liked them before I was in preschool. Of course, if the kids that watch Care Bears are girls, then they get away with the cuteness factor.
  4. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I have never disavowed any show I started liking when I was little save Romper Room. Everything else, Care Bears, My Little Pony, Fraggle Rock, Punky Brewster, JEM, Strawberry Shortcake, Rainbow Brite, Tiny Toons, Shining Time Station, Welcome To Pooh Corner etc I still watch with just as much fandom as I ever had. Not just for the cuteness but for the plot, yes, plot. I write fanfic after all, and many of them have fandoms of many many people :). My Little Pony alone has tousands ;)
    For this reason I guess I am use to people thinking my watching something is weird. To me Sesame Street is on the same level because it is looked at as just as odd by people outside the fandom, but I don't mind :). I don't judge them against one another I just enjoy them all...
  5. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

The only things I really grew to not liking when I was older were the girly shows I watched when I was really, really, really young. pre-preschool young. It's those colors. They were so bright and happy. I also want to point out, I'm a Dude, so your milage may vary.

That said, I also watched quite a lot of classic cartoons like Bugs and Popeye, and especially Terrytoons when I was younger. I miss being able to see those kind of cartoons in syndication.
  6. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I eat bright and happy like candy :). But then I have always been a bright and happy girl by nature ;). You proably would not like me :p.

Sometimes I guess what we see as weird for someone to watch has a lot to do with what we feel the show stands for... :\
  7. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Well I like all the shows you names, but I guess the ones targeted at girls I've just not been that interested or into. But I guess boys always grow up with a stigma to turn to liking things targeted at boys or both genders so they end up liking those things...

But I like Strawberry shortcake, though!:)
  8. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I watched the GI Joe cartoon when I was little to, and I never felt like I should'nt watch it. My daddy had been in the army though, so I was use to the whole idea. I also watched X-Men, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles...
    You know, I don't think I ever was given a 'this show is just for boys/girls' talk at all. My parents were never like that :)
  9. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

This thread is supposed to be about SS not GIJOE or Strawberry Shortcake.

Can we please stay on topic?
  10. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

The subject of how people are brought up to see tv shows a certain way does have alot to do with SS. If we were brought up to see it more as a collection of talent rather than just a learning show more people might not think we were weird for watching it. There was so many deeper levels to 'preschool' shows that hardly anyone ever looks at :). We all bring different backgrounds to liking it to...
  11. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

I'm sure this is probably true for girls too, but it's also societal pressures and friend that can sort of put you down for liking things that are targeted at girls or for them. It's like you just don't fit in or are normal it you life things for girls. There are show for boys with elements that are targeted at a girl audience more the there are show for girls that have things targeted at boys. But Sesame Street is a very neutral, and that kind of thing according to society is okay for boys. But it was originally decided that sesame should be more targeted from a boys perspective because that appeals to both boys and girls both. And it was decided that shows that are targeted toward a female audience done really attract or appeal to boys as much. So that has a lot to do with it. All I know it if a boy ever played with dolls at any point in his life, he is usually more likely to be looked at funny by males and females both then it a girl played with action figures.
  12. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Hmm..I gave my best friend a Barbie because he had never had one and did'nt think anything of it, but then I was an only child who never had others to play with :\.
    I have always had toy cars and action figures to :coy: .
    I guess the boy pov is true of SS..I never thought of it that way though. Somehow the most of the SS muppets being boys idea did not seem to equal it being a boys perspective show...Hmmm..maybe because most of the characters are'nt human?
  13. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Well, I mean with things like say a clip about children playing with or watching frogs or cars or something instead of playing with dolls or something that's seem more a a girl activity. Things that boys and girls generally have more in common with. I personally have never judged a boy playing with dolls, but I know a lot of people who have...
  14. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Well there is also that factor that at a certean age boys dont like girls and girls dont like boys, so that would sometimes make it hard to shoot things with kids playing the same thing all the time.
  15. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I've always liked boys :3 They did what I said, other girls were mean to me :cry: . So every case is different...
    The good thing is it does'nt matter because SS is so good at what they do :)
  16. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Oh I've been there! I put up with a lot of clique-ish nonesense from girls and prefered to hang out with boys. Of course, some attempts were successful in this area, and some weren't. Boys often go through that cruel phase of not liking girls, heh.
  17. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Well i always liked girls and played good with them, and i still do to this day. I love ladys and i hope they at least like me back.

On that note when i was looking for a date i would be more scared telling them i watch Sesame Street then my age or anything else.
  18. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I don't normally have a reason for telling anyone...
    I don't hide it but most of the time they don't have a reason to bring it up...
  19. BobThePizzaBoy

BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

I guess I'l just 3peat the post I've posted a couple times.
    It's amazing to think the same people who are tearing about my interests, labeling it "immature" are the ones watching Family Guy and Shrek movies. It's really a pain that I wish people could just get over and see the true colors of us.
  20. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

Ewww. Just...ewww. It's bad enough that this jerk insulted you for being a Muppet fan, but the way he used it as a starting point for more serious harrassment is downright evil. :eek: