Anybody visit their old schools?

Vic Romano

Reaction score
My ten year high school reunion is coming up, and I'd like to go there. The Vocational school I went to for art has asked me to come back and talk to the classes there, but my teacher is no longer there, so I haven't decided to go or not.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I used to go back and visit every now and then. My mom worked in my elementary school for about 8 years, most of which were after I left there so I had many opportunities to visit. I have not been back to high school much at all. Most of my teachers actually retired the year I graduated or the year right after so I don't even know anyone there anymore! I do go visit my college as I'm still involved with things with my sorority and things like that.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
My ten year high school reunion is coming up, and I'd like to go there.
Yeah this past summer was my 20th and I didn't go to that. A part of me really wanted to. Maybe I'll go to my 25th in 2010. :smile:

I enjoyed visiting my old childhood area in Maryland a few years ago and one of the places I stopped at was my elementary school (where I had attended K through 3rd grade). The same secretary was still there in 2001 as was there in the early 70's! She said she was in her last year. So it was pretty neat to get updates from her about all of the teachers I had. (Let's see, my kindergarten teacher is okay but is now widowed, sadly. My first grade teacher is also widowed and moved down to Florida. My third grade teacher is deceased (but at age 88, at least). And my second grade teacher is fine. She was the youngest of the teachers I had. The principal is fine and moved to Florida. The vice prinicpal is now hard of hearing but still with us. (Hope the loud vocal chords of us elementary students didn't contribute to that!) ).

janicegroupie

Reaction score
I still have 2 siblings in elementary school so I go back there for concerts. I just went to my old high school for the first time since I'd graduated to pick up my transcripts and wow had that place changed. They built on to it trying to make it look all fancy or something. It was weird to be there again I felt so old. I still have so many vivid memories from h.s. yet it also seems like a totally different time.

jediX

Reaction score
I always planned to go back and visit the marching band last year since some old friends were the drum majors, but I never got around to it. I did visit the school to film something, though.

superfan

Reaction score
teenintosesame said:
Well, would you visit with any old teachers that are still there? Once all the teachers I had are gone, I won't be able to visit anymore because it will be all new people and they wouldn't know who I am.
Ummm, I don't know if the teacher's I'd want to see would be alive or if they may have long since retired. There'd be two I'd like to see. As for the others, I have my doubts if they'd recognize me at all. We had a huge school. Plus I was a very average student...I participated in after school theater sports, but that's about all.
Oh, and on top of this, I went to school in Nova Scotia...being in Ontario, I can't afford to go back home maybe but once a year. And then the time is filled up with family obligations.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
After graduating high school & college,I used to visit my elementary school(it's right across the street from my neighborhood),junior & senior high school.I've been wanting to do that again for awhile,just haven't made the time.Plus,after 9/11,I'm afraid the security in the schools may have heightened.For me to just go into the school and say,'Hi,I graduated here 17 years ago..is such and such teacher still here?' It seems kind of sketchy to me,like anyone from off the streets could just say that.But,I am curious to know how certain teachers are doing,especially my 5th grade teacher & my 8th grade Spanish teacher,miss them both a lot.:smirk:

Sylinde Bren

Reaction score
Let's see... Well, I visited my old pre-school building a long time ago... Didn't get to talk to anyone but seeing the building again and the outside of it where we used to go as a group to see the old house across the stream with the geese and ducks brought back warm memories that I wish I could relive.

I've visited my old elementary school once or twice. It felt so weird. Back in the hallways that I had always remembered being so vast, I felt like a giant. But talking to my kindergarten and 1st grade teachers was nice.

I only ever visited my old middle school once, to see my name engraved on a plaque for an award I won in graduating year for Creative Writing. But, only for that and never again. No overwhelmingly good memories ever came from that place, for me.

As for highschool, I haven't been back there since graduation but I still do talk to some of my old teachers via email. My old English Literature teacher has told me that he's convinced that our class was the last teachable one. -grin- He says that all classes that have come after us have been nearly impossible to impart any knowledge to and that they don't take their studies way seriously enough. He probably says that to all his graduated students. ;P But, something that disturbs me... He also says that, since my graduation, there's had to be police security in the building's hallways. That just makes me so sad and unsettled, because that was never the case when I was there...

Whatever

Reaction score
JaniceFerSure said:
Plus,after 9/11,I'm afraid the security in the schools may have heightened.For me to just go into the school and say,'Hi,I graduated here 17 years ago..is such and such teacher still here?' It seems kind of sketchy to me,like anyone from off the streets could just say that.
Yeah, I know. Some of my friends tried to sign in at the office and visit their teachers, and they weren't allowed to. So when I go I pretend to be a student and avoid figures of authority. The teachers who know me don't mind, and the one who don't know me think I'm a student. It's only the councilors and principals I worry about.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
I went to my high school reunion in 1998(10 yr.).Interesting to see who changed the most(with kids,married,etc...).I won a case of soda for being the first person to R.S.V.P. to the reunion.:zany: My 20 yr. is in 3 years,wonder how that one will go.