Anyone going to see Tangled?

Redsonga

Reaction score
*lol* I just meant they were not my number one favorite, that is still Disney (not even taking into account the ones made with Pixar).

How To Train Your Dragon and Over the Hedge aside I actually like their earlier films a bit more :smile:.
Shrek 4 was actually my least favorite of the whole series, not that I love fart jokes but it's just that Shrek seemed more at home being the sort of goofiness it started out as, and even when it was being serious, The 3rd was more in tune in its tone I felt without having that 'we aren't trying to be like like a Shrek movie' 'wait, you ARE making a Shrek movie' feeling to it. I'm not in love with the pop elements ether but they seemed to hold up areas for the characters to act like themselves in ways that if you ripped them out (only in Shrek movies) alot of the goofy parts of the kingdoms they lived in just sort of fell flat to me. It is true that fairy tales are the sort of thing that shouldn't need that to be funny ( http://www.amazon.com/True-Story-Little-Pigs/dp/0590454951/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1288274183&sr=8-5 and http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067084487X/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk to name a few ) but Shrek is Shrek :\.

What I meant by people saying Tangled is like a Dreamworks style film is the main male character has a very The Road to El Dorado face (and the horse as well), but that makes sense given who made the characters, and well, I like The Road to El Dorado myself :smile:.

Drtooth

Reaction score
How To Train Your Dragon and Over the Hedge aside I actually like their earlier films a bit more :smile:.
Shrek 4 was actually my least favorite of the whole series, not that I love fart jokes but it's just that Shrek seemed more at home being the sort of goofiness it started out as, and even when it was being serious, The 3rd was more in tune in its tone I felt without having that 'we aren't trying to be like like a Shrek movie' 'wait, you ARE making a Shrek movie' feeling to it. I'm not in love with the pop elements ether but they seemed to hold up areas for the characters to act like themselves in ways that if you ripped them out (only in Shrek movies) alot of the goofy parts of the kingdoms they lived in just sort of fell flat to me. It is true that fairy tales are the sort of thing that shouldn't need that to be funny ( http://www.amazon.com/True-Story-Little-Pigs/dp/0590454951/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1288274183&sr=8-5 and http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067084487X/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk to name a few ) but Shrek is Shrek :\.
Personally, I felt the third one fell flat and felt like a wasted opportunity. It played better on TV when I saw it the second time, but it seemed that anything they tried to add to the third one was just a copy of the second one. The segment with Donkey and Puss's bodies being switched went on TOO long, and should have been solved in a minute (it would have been a cute little gag, but they drug it out forEVER). I liked the concept of the Princess rebellion force and the villains getting ticked off about having the unhappy endings, but it just felt like making another movie for the sake of making another movie.

The fourth wasn't perfect, I felt it far superior to 3, but it definitely showed a sign of maturing. It's almost as if the plot came first... and it didn't feel like one upping Disney (like the first batch were). I almost wish they did that first of all. Plus, the thing I liked best about it was... well, you know how the first three movies and even the Christmas special had Shrek basically spend a third of the movie going "Why men? It's tough to be an ogre?" In the fourth movie, his whining actually backfires on him, almost destroying everything in the process, and not even realizing how sweet he has it after the events of the first film. A nice twist and good closing for the series. Though, I still say the second one was the best.

Of course, their WORST movie was Sharktale. After seeing that bit about how Jeffery Katzenberg almost DESTROYED Toy Story by making it "edgy" (read: mean Woody threatening everybody), I can TOTALLY see where Sharktale comes from now. Trying to make an edgy Finding Nemo and failing miserably.

muppet baby

Reaction score
Great to hear that you are excited for Tangled! It's coming out in less than a month, so fortunately you don't have to wait much longer. To hold you over for a bit, you should check out this cool video about how they made Rapunzel's hair in the movie. And trust me, it wasn't easy...

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Thanks for the cool video link Disney that was just so cool.

One thing that i wanted to share with you is merchindising that you did for this flim has been so so great . Today at my local target store i found the story book pillow , i collect theme pillows disney and those are so cute you guys did a great job on the story book pillow for tagled and i got seveal more as gifts for a friends 3 little girls who love to travel with the story books .

My mom started a collection for me on disney pillows when she saw how cute the princess and the frog story book pillow was LOL . those have also been great for my bad right arm to have one under my arm at night , so happy to have that big help .

God bless disney
:excited: Hope that is not corny to tell that story about my arm kkeek but all true

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
You know, while I probably wont see it in theaters (I ish broke and has no friends who would even go:frown: ) but I would make a point to see it when it comes to...hopefully HBO since thats what we have XD

Or maybe if it comes to the campus theater I'll go

Drtooth

Reaction score
Eh... animation aside, I'm not 100% impressed by what I'm seeing with the trailers, but I'll try to see this anyway.

Disney

Reaction score
Thanks for the cool video link Disney that was just so cool.

One thing that i wanted to share with you is merchindising that you did for this flim has been so so great . Today at my local target store i found the story book pillow , i collect theme pillows disney and those are so cute you guys did a great job on the story book pillow for tagled and i got seveal more as gifts for a friends 3 little girls who love to travel with the story books .

God bless disney
You are very welcome for the video, and we appreciate your feedback regarding the merchandising.

I wanted to share another great video with you guys. This one is a character profile for Maximus (Flynn's horse and sidekick). We've been hearing some great things from fans about this character, so I thought you guys might also enjoy it. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Mupp

Reaction score
I just wanted to briefly pop in this thread and say that I saw Tangled tonight at a D23 event, and I enjoyed the movie.

Make no mistake, this film does NOT try to be "hip", and it is NOT at all trying to be another Shrek.

The style of Tangled is very much in the same vein as Snow White or Cinderella.

In fact, a "hair-fighting" sequence that was featured heavily in the first trailer is not even in the finished film. (as well as the shot of Rapunzel's hair falling on Flynn from above.)

Let that be a lesson, very often you cannot judge an animated film from the very first trailer, because very often some scenes and bits of dialogue in them do not even make it into the finished film.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
Hmm. I'm kinda on the fence about seeing this film.

On one hand, I've got two free passes from buying Toy Story 3 and Beauty & the Beast on bluray, plus my Son isn't even 2 yet, so there's no out-of-pocket.

On the other hand, the recent article I read about Disney not doing any more fairy tale films really, really, REALLY upsets me, and I feel like boycotting anything from Disney right now.

What to do?

What to do when you've been a Disney fan your whole life, and in the last 10 years: storytelling has gone down the toilet - the company decides to not make any traditional hand-drawn animated movies (only to turn that decision over a few years later with a new department head) - then that same department head deciding to forget fairy tale films and only focus on original stories? ! ? WHY CAN'T YOU DO BOTH LIKE YOU ALWAYS HAVE DISNEY? ! ?

Also, your target audience for so-called "princess" films is not just little girls, it's EVERY KID WHO EVER SAW ALL YOUR CLASSIC-ANIMATED FILMS - BOYS AND GIRLS, AND EVERY ADULT WHO GREW UP WITH THEM, THE SAME ADULTS WHO SPEND THEIR MONEY ON THEM NOW! ! !

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I've expected "Tangled" to at least be a quality film. They've been trying to repackage this fairytale film since "The Princess and the Frog" performed under expectations. That's why they altered the title, but I didn't think that Tangled would really have Pink's "Trouble" song playing on the soundtrack (they have "The Little Mermaid", "Beauty and the Beast" and "Little Shop of Horrors" songwriter Alan Menken). Nor did I think they'd go the Shrek route. In fact, I've heard this film was created in response to how unattractive many artists found the original Shrek's animation and how trite many of the writers found the story. I wouldn't go that far, but I understand the direction.

I also understand why Disney's leaving the land of fairytales, but believe me it's probably as final a decision as when Cher does yet another farewell tour. They're taking a break for a while and making direct to DVD "Princess" and Tinkerbell films for little girls to enjoy. They'll never abandon that market. Eventually everything cycles back. I even think Disney will take another stab at traditional animation. Beautiful foreign fare like the "Illusionist" show just how palatable and vital that art form can be.

I'm just glad to hear "Tangled" will at least meet my minimal expectations. :excited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
On the other hand, the recent article I read about Disney not doing any more fairy tale films really, really, REALLY upsets me, and I feel like boycotting anything from Disney right now.
I've been saying this for years. After Pocahontas, Disney took flack for doing Princess movies. When they stopped and did stuff like Atlantis, they took flack for NOT doing fairy tale films. It's quite the balancing act, isn't it? Then you look at The Lion King. It had very fairy tale like elements to it, but it wasn't one... And look how good that did. It even had a DTV sequel that was HIGH quality (didn't see 1 1/2 yet), not to mention a pretty decent run of a TV show. And it didn't need an Ariel/Jasmine/Belle type figure. The of course the 2002 surprise hit, Lilo and Stitch. Who would have thought a movie about a murderous, violent alien life form dancing to Elvis music would have been a hit? Japan LOVES Stitch and has their own Stitch cartoon series. Heck, Lilo and Stitch had 3 DTV movies... 2 for the animated series, one for the actual movie. And you couldn't punt a football without hitting a Stitch doll.

We can all agree the movie Shrek was an obvious stab at Disney, mocking fairy tales as a specific outlet. Of course, the parody fairy Tale genre exploded with copies, including the HORRIBLE Happily N'ver After films. There's just something about the trailers they made that seems to accentuate "This is a Fairy Tale with an attitude." And even if that isn't the basis of the movie (the Disney movies always had some contemporary jibe to them... from Pinocchio's reference to at the moment jazz music to Aladdin's Genie), it sure looks like they're exploiting that angle. I like the design as far as CGI goes, and I like the softness of cartoony looking characters.... something about the realism of Shrek is bordering on uncanny valley, so glad they dumped that look for other films.

And goodness knows, when Disney comes up with their own tales, it's hit or miss. At least with the audience. The Rescuers did pretty well, Oliver and Company did mehmmehmmeh even though I LOVED it... The Disney Princess thing came out of the fact their first big rejuvenation hit was Little Mermaid and they rode that success with Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin (as it did have a princess to it)... of course, Lion King, while it did have a royal standing, Nala isn't considered a Princess for some reason and therefore, it wasn't a princess movie. Then came a few more before they branched out into mythology and adaptations of written works and those just didn't fare as well. I'm one of the few people that LIKED Hercules (though the romantic angle seemed a bit forced). That said, their 1980's animated movies have become a cult thing. And it's too bad they couldn't make a better Ducktales film. I'd LOVE to see a Scrooge McDuck movie at some point (it's bound to do well in Europe).