Anyone here seen The Last Unicorn?

Johnboy

Reaction score
:smile:

It's an underappreciated but brilliant animated 1982 fantasy about a unicorn who thinks she is the last of her kind as she wonders in the dark but magical world beyond her to find the others. Along her way, she meets a handful of characters including a wizard who magically changes her into a beautiful human maidan to fool the bad guys who have the unicorns of the world hostage, a local prince falls in love with her and she must make a 3 day decision of weither to love the prince or save the unicorns.

It's a unique and one-of-a-kind animated gem with good animation, cool theme song, tears, humor, a hot animated chick for the guys, and the voices of Alan Arkin, Jeff Bridges, Mia Farrow, Christopher Lee, Angela Lansbury, Tammy Grimes, and Rene Aubejenos.

I highly recommend this movie! it's on DVD now to own and a live-action remake is coming next year in theaters.

Similar movies recommended to watch with The Last Unicorn: " The Secret of NIMH" ( Another 1982 animated fantasy classic), " The Dark Crystal", " Labryinth", " The Princess Bride", " Harry Potter", " The Lord of the Rings ( Both animated and live-action)", " The Wizard of Oz", "Return to Oz", "Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory", " Legend", " Krull", " Big Trouble in Little China", " Mulan", " The Black Cauldron", " Fire & Ice", "Wizards", " Rock & Rule".

fruitbat

Reaction score
Wow, this must be a good film! Just been on to http://uk.imdb.com (an excellent movie site!) and found this comment on it.

Either I had no life, was poor,

or this film had some sort of supernatural power over me...I think all three are true because I saw this film once when I was 3 or 4 and fell so deeply in love with it that since we didn't have a VCR I somehow found out when it was on again, mashed scotch tape over a cassette I found, shoved it into my new huge Fisher Price tape recorder and audio recorded the entire movie. At that age I already knew this film held the secrets of the universe and if I could get that on tape I had it made. Well I lost the tape and haven't seen the film since, so someday I'll watch it again and see if I was right....wow...the soundtrack must've been awesome because I can still hum the song in my head(!)
Now I'm not saying everyone has the same opinions on it but any film that can make this much of an impact...wow :excited: . Will keep my eye open for it, sounds the sort of film I'd love...thanks for the tip :smile:

Whatever

Reaction score
It's also a really good book. I don't remember the author, but it was in the Classic section of our library.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever seen it, unless it was a really long time ago, but I've heard a lot of great stuff about it. And it features a song by Art Garfunkel! :big_grin:
Erin

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
I've never seen it but my wife has, says its really cool. I can't wait for the live action film to come out next year! Looks really good, and the original story (which they're gonna stick to) sounds awesome! :excited:

Fozzie Wozzie

Reaction score
I have never seen this film but it sounds neat and original. It reminds me a lot of a novel I read a couple years ago called 'Into the Land of the Unicorns' by Bruce Coville.

Do you know if the film coming up is going to be a limited release (only show in select theaters) or is it going to open nationally/internationally? :zany:

Sylinde Bren

Reaction score
Whatever said:
It's also a really good book. I don't remember the author, but it was in the Classic section of our library.
Peter S. Beagle is the author. :smile: He also is responsible for writing the screenplay to the animated film and has authorised the making of the highly-anticipated live-action version.

Fozzie Wozzie said:
I have never seen this film but it sounds neat and original. It reminds me a lot of a novel I read a couple years ago called 'Into the Land of the Unicorns' by Bruce Coville.
That's an excellent book and, in case you haven't realised it, the sequel is out entitled 'Song Of The Wanderer'. Have you ever read 'The Unicorns of Balinor' by Mary Stanton or 'The Secret of The Unicorn Queen' series? Both are excellent.

Klonoa

Reaction score
I saw the cartoon/anime/whateveryouwannacallit a looooong time ago.

--Klonoa