Anyone Remember Camp Candy?

CBPuppets

Reaction score
I remember this show a whole lot back when I was young. It was so funny and it used to be on NBC and ran in Syndicated shows on Fox Family (Which we all know changed to ABC Family).

Son of Enik

Reaction score
Yeah, I remember Camp Candy...funny show. It's such a shame we lost John Candy, he was a true comic genius!

wwfpooh

Reaction score
We've lost a lot of beloved ones and not just Henson, Hunt, or Candy. And we miss 'em all something awful! :frown:

karamazov80

Reaction score
That was one of the many cartoons from my younger years that I never had any interest in watching. I vaguely remember it.

unclematt

Reaction score
Cam Candy was very loosely based on the Great Outdoors (very good movie). I enjoyed Camp Candy. And we did lose John Candy way to early. Part of the Belushi curse.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Sadly, this aired during the height of the main three networks, and thus, IMO, didn't get enough of the exposure it needed.

unclematt

Reaction score
Do you mean during the height of the Saturday Morning Cartoons war?

unclematt

Reaction score
young heavy set comedians passing away. John Belushi, Sam Kinison, John Candy, Chris Farley

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
okay what exactly is the "Belushi Curse?"
Popular, larger-than-life comedians who died too young maybe?

OR...

"The Curse of Atuk," which supposedly claimed the lives of many funny men, including John Candy.

Atuk is a screenplay for a proposed comedy about an Eskimo who winds up in New York City, and finds it challenging to adapt to city life. The script is considered "cursed," because several comic actors who were up for the role of Atuk, died shortly after reading it.

John Belushi read the screenplay, and was interested in playing Atuk. He died shortly after.

Sam Kinison read the script, and even shot test footage. He was killed in a car crash soon after.

John Candy was said to be actually reading the script when he died of a heart attack.

The same year Candy died, former National Lampoon and SNL writer Michael O'Donoghue died of a cerebral hemorrhage. O'Donoghue worked on SNL with Belushi (the two appeared in "The Wolverines," the very first sketch on the very first show), and was a friend of both Belushi and Kinison. O'Donoghue had read the script, and did some work on it. He was supposedly the one who brought it to the attention of Belushi and Kinison.

Chris Farley planned to star in the film at the time of his death. He showed the script to his friend and SNL co-star, Phil Hartman, who also read it, and was considering a role. The year after Farley died, Hartman was tragically killed.

Some believe this is an urban legend, while others do believe the script is "cursed."

Anyway...

I never watched Camp Candy. I knew of it, but I guess I wasn't all that interested in checking it out.