Anyone Seen The Anipals?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the Anipals? They're from Comedy Central's "TV Funhouse" and they are the (very) rude hosts of a fictional kid's show.

I don't get Comedy Central in Canada so I was wondering if anyone has seen this...all I have seen is a few clips on Comedy Central's website.

solo409

Reaction score
I saw one episode once. They are very crude but rather funny. I saw the Chrismas episode and the animals were injecting some sort of paralyzing poison into the show's host, who was dressed as one of Santa's elves (minus shirt & pants).
The puppets themselves are very crudely made (similar in form to that Insult Dog on Connan O'Brian) I think the lobster puppet is really just a plastic lobster toy on a stick!
---Nate :stick_out_tongue:

Jackie

Reaction score
Originally posted by solo409
I saw one episode once. They are very crude but rather funny. I saw the Chrismas episode and the animals were injecting some sort of paralyzing poison into the show's host, who was dressed as one of Santa's elves (minus shirt & pants).
The puppets themselves are very crudely made (similar in form to that Insult Dog on Connan O'Brian) I think the lobster puppet is really just a plastic lobster toy on a stick!
---Nate :stick_out_tongue:
The insulting dog is Truimph!

radionate

Reaction score
TV Funhouse was one of my favorite shows on Comedy Central. It was cras, crude, and vulgar, but I loved it. It was pretty funny, as it spoofed those great shows of days gone by like Captain Kangaroo and the Bannanna Splits. The puppets were very simplistic, but it worked. And the Robert Smigel cartoons (the voice of Triumph the Dog) were great as well!

If you ever have a chance to see any episodes, check them out.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I think there is a new series and/or new episodes of it coming out.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Well Buck, you know my feelings on these kinds of puppets (hehe). The real problem here is that the puppetry wasn't good on the show. At least with Crank Yankers the puppetry matches with the speaking and flows nicely with the vulgar crud the show spews. With TV Funhouse, it was just like little animals who just kind of wiggled when they talked, rather than having their mouths move. Maybe this is a puppetry style I'm unaware of...:smile:

-Matt

radionate

Reaction score
I really think the whole deal with the puppets was that they weren't supposed to be quality puppets or puppeteers. It played into the whole context of the show, which was poking fun and lampooning the very shows so many of us are fond of. i.e. Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers, Captain Kangaroo, Bannanna Splits, etc.

The puppetry was never intended, nor should have been, of any quality on the show. That was the whole point.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Originally posted by Cantus Rock
Well Buck, you know my feelings on these kinds of puppets (hehe). The real problem here is that the puppetry wasn't good on the show. At least with Crank Yankers the puppetry matches with the speaking and flows nicely with the vulgar crud the show spews. With TV Funhouse, it was just like little animals who just kind of wiggled when they talked, rather than having their mouths move. Maybe this is a puppetry style I'm unaware of...
They're not supposed to be good, that's kinda the point of it. :smile:

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Well I never watched more than 5 minutes of it so I didn't really know the premiss of the show. I don't think its very cool to poke fun at shows like the ones Nate mentioned either. Oh well, they haven't made new episodes in a while, so maybe I won't have to see it again anyway...:smile:

-Matt

radionate

Reaction score
Hey Matt,

I take it you've never seen the Johnny Carson skit where he made fun of Fred Rogers and Mr. Rogers Neighborhood. It's a classic skit, and absolutly ludicrous and funny. I took a lot of barbs at Mr. Rogers, and Fred Rogers actually saw it and thought it was funny. It's perfectly alright to hold a mirror up to things and poke a little fun at them from time to time. I think its all in the motives behind the humor. If its just ripping it to shreds, thats not talent as anyone can do that if they wanted to. Wittingly jabbing at cultural icons with a wink and a nod to the audience is the best way to do it, and is the premise for a ton of my favorite shows over time (the simpsons, SNL, the critic, TV Funhouse, South Park, etc etc.) I think there is a little green frog who we all adore that is just as guilty of it.