Anyone Seen Those Sesame Movie Like Commercials?

beaker

Reaction score
I was flipping through PBS in the morning recently, and I saw two commercials with Sesame characters that had a very theatrical film like look to them.

One had Super Grover in it, and it looked like a spoof for a Sesame movie or something. It mentioned PBSForKids at the end

The other was Cookie Monster in a Mission Impossible spoof

Has anyone else seen these?

Are they online? And are there any more? What are they promoting?

It makes me excited at the possibility of a new Sesame or Muppet theatrical film

beaker

Reaction score
This is what they're promoting

I find these hillarious, actually. Too bad they follow such weak ADD kiddy fare like Superwhy.
THANK YOU!

Those are some of the best Sesame spots ever, I absolutely love the SuperGrover and Cookie Impossible ones. Anyone know if these are online anywhere? Again, it makes me excited for a new theatrical Sesame film

beaker

Reaction score
Btw, Im confused...is Between the Lions Sesame Workshop or JHC related, ala that Australian animal show or Stinky and Jake?

As Between the Lions puppets and Sesame characters intermix on commercials and the BTL show. Strange.

Is it like the Flat Eric property, where JHC is affiliated but Between the Lions isnt officially part of the Muppet universe?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Btw, Im confused...is Between the Lions Sesame Workshop or JHC related, ala that Australian animal show or Stinky and Jake?

As Between the Lions puppets and Sesame characters intermix on commercials and the BTL show. Strange.

Is it like the Flat Eric property, where JHC is affiliated but Between the Lions isnt officially part of the Muppet universe?
Hard to say. BTl isn't a production of SW or Henson, but a lot of people who worked on that show have worked with Henson/SW in the past (and some currently). Michael Frith actually designed some stuff before he left for Afganistan in 2002.

beaker

Reaction score
Hard to say. BTl isn't a production of SW or Henson, but a lot of people who worked on that show have worked with Henson/SW in the past (and some currently). Michael Frith actually designed some stuff before he left for Afganistan in 2002.
What ever happened to the Sesame Afghanistan thing? I read on the news that the Taliban has pretty much taken over the region again.

I feel every child in the world deserves to see a localized production of Sesame Street.

Btw, theres a NEW Sesame Street documentary coming out this year thats been playing at film festivals.

Anyways, it looks like Between the Lions isnt part of JHC or SW...but, a number of Sesame characters have been regular characters on the show or in the background, Sesame and BTL characters have done a number of commercials, etc.

To the average kid watching PBS, they probably think it's all related.

And I just went on muppet wiki, wow a lot of JHC allumni working on BTL, trippy. I wonder why its not officially related. Is the show any good?

Theres been a lot of Muppet like puppet kids shows in the last few years popping up that arent related.

Im still sad Animal Jam had the worst format imaginable as the characters were so cool...luckily some of them are being revived for Puppet Up.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I have seen all the commercials for this and I just love all of them!

But to answer your question, Between the Loins is like a modern day electric company. But I think that the sets and the writing and the puppetry and the music are top notch on this program. Some people may have criticisms but it is a far cay from some of th children's programming out there. That is ones opinion on the show.

Drtooth

Reaction score
What ever happened to the Sesame Afghanistan thing? I read on the news that the Taliban has pretty much taken over the region again.
I think they chickened out and just redubbed the Egyptian co-production to the local dialect.

beaker

Reaction score
I think they chickened out and just redubbed the Egyptian co-production to the local dialect.
I usually hate defense companies, but it was the RAND corporation trying to help Sesame with this...what it looks like ended up happening is that they made a localized Afghan language series of segments with Grover that was to be put on vhs and shown
at various schools.

The problem is, the US government bombed the countries infrastructure and never really did anything to rebuild...the few nice people in the world who volunteered to help build new schools got a sour look when the few schools left ended up getting bombed and or kids were too scared to go.

This is the struggle Sesame Street faces:

Guantanamo Bay and US stations in Iraq use the Sesame Street opening song played over and over as part of torture techniques to "terrorist" detainees

The Republicans who started these wars on false premises now threaten to shut down PBS alltogether

Meanwhile, Sesame Workshop is forced to make this pro war
propaganda specials with Sesame Muppets wondering why their parents are off dying and killing people.

THEN you have what The World According To Sesame Street managed to capture: The fact that the powers that be in every country seem to want to keep their kids brainwashed into racial and tribal hate...from North Ireland to Bosnia to the middle east.

I think Jim Henson would be happy Sesame Street has tried so hard to reach out to the most impoverished war torn areas, but also saddened that his own government and world governments
really don't care about kids in the slightest.