1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Anything Muppet Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by Pig's Laundry, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

The AMs have had a lot of memorable moments over the years, but because they're not all defined characters we often forget about them. AMs can be, well, anything, thus the name. They can be construction workers, game show hosts, celebrity caricatures, kids, adults, sometimes even animals.

The sketches when the performers are able to perform one shot character are great because it really showcases the puppeteer's versatility. And for newer puppeteers, it allows for them to grow as a performer.

These are some of my favorite AM moments:

So what are your favorites? And don't forget, monsters count as AMs too.

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  2. Censored

Censored Well-Known Member

3. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

4. Pig's Laundry

I love all of your picks! I can't believe I forgot to list "Fat Cat" on my original post. Also, you listed the "Brotherhood of Man" scene from season 1, I noticed in that sketch Frank Oz performed the little boy, but Caroll Spinney was his singing voice. This seemed to be a common practice during that season, for instance during "Mahnna Mahnna" (Mana Mana? Mahna Mahna?) the two girls voices somehow got switched around.

Anyways, I really love watching these AM sketches because you really get the sense that the performers were having a lot of fun while making them.

And while it's really rare these days to get an AM sketch that isn't a parody, when we do, they're usually pretty nice. For instance, "I Love My Hair" and "Spanish Me and English Me" are some modern classics in my opinion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M084SkP1i8

Meanwhile, I still really love the parodies. They have a lot of the same cleverness, humor and charm as the classic AM sketches:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmICU1gMAAw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhWUFXvaZjo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1zL106SGZ8

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    JT Yorke likes this.
  5. Censored

Censored Well-Known Member

I know that when we talk about "Anything Muppets," we are usually referring to the nameless extras used in the skits mentioned above. However, technically, almost all of the traditional well known Sesame Street human Muppets are "Anything Muppets" because they have a head and body that can be arranged as other characters. Guy Smiley is one of the "Orange Gold" Anything Muppet variants, along with Prince Charming, Don Music, etc. Sherlock Hemlock is one of the "Green" Anything Muppet variants, along with Farley, Little Jerry, etc. The same can be found for many others. Ernie and Bert are not Anything Muppets because they have unique heads and bodies created just for those characters.

Source: http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Anything_Muppets

6. D'Snowth

I know I've brought this up before, but now that we have a thread dedicated specifically for AMs:

It's somehow easier for me to accept the lavender pattern as a true AM, mainly because it has such a generic and indistinct shape that I don't really see much in the way of associating an actual character with it like the others; for example, whenever I see the fat blue pattern, I immediately think of Mr. Johnson; when it comes to the gold pattern, Guy Smiley comes to mind; pointy green makes me think of Sherlock Hemlock.

The Mini AMs like pink and pumpkin to a lesser extent, because I know they served as bases for certain characters like Prairie Dawn and Betty Lou, but they're often used for little kids as well.

7. Pig's Laundry

Well, I think for the sake of keeping things organized, we should keep this thread about the one shot characters or AMs who only appeared in no more than a few sketches.

8. D'Snowth

I always enjoy these inserts that use semi-blank AMs - there's something fascinating about the appearance of blank puppets, I don't know what it is, but it intrigues me. I guess it has something to do with what Kermit Love said about less is more when it comes to puppet building, as there's been times where I've finished the base of puppets and actually don't want to add any features because I like how they look when they're blank; one of the reasons why one current project I've been working on has semi-blank characters in it (all they have is hair).

9. Pig's Laundry

Yeah, I concur, i'm the same way. Sometimes the same can be said about drawing, depending on the style.

10. D'Snowth

Now that I tend to be the opposite with, I get so caught up in so many tiny little details when I draw it's not even funny. ><

But, back to the topic at hand, as far as parodies go, I have a special fondness for this:

I went through a phase when I was younger when I watched a lot of LAW & ORDER: SPECIAL VICTIMS UNIT, then I just kind of stopped, so I was able to know exactly who the characters were that were being spoofed here (all that's missing was an AM caricature of Ice-T, that would have been cool).

11. DePingPong

DePingPong Active Member

Ooh, great idea for a thread on AM's.
    My favorite AM skits usually tend to be the ones that tell a story like these ones;

12. DePingPong

DePingPong Active Member

13. Pig's Laundry

Frank Oz's king voice and his delivery crack me up every time. Also, I love Jim's little ad-lib when he brought in the girl

14. Pig's Laundry

Here's one I discovered today:

Now, this one surprised me because, as a Sesame Street sketch, you'd expect it to have a happy ending, but it doesn't. The whole sketch is basically about a bride and groom who are on two opposite sides of a street. The groom can't get to his wife (or soon to be wife) because the "Don't Walk" sign is on. I thought the sketch was going to end with the sign changing to "Walk" and the couple happily meeting up again, but nope. It just ends with them being sad because they can't get to each other.
    Now, obviously, it's not played too seriously, especially since it's obvious that all they have to do is wait for the sign to change or at the very least wait for traffic to clear up. But it's still a little sad.

And that's what I like about it. It takes an unexpected direction, and it's funny, sweet and sad all at the same time. Also, you gotta love Chris Cerf's vocals in this. I don't think there's ever been anyone on the show who's voice was as lovely as his.

15. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

While I don't think I've ever seen or heard of this episode, I just love the design of this Evil Sorceress.

[​IMG]

Really went all out on her costume. She looks particularly Flash Gordon-y

16. Pig's Laundry

Yep, Hooperfan just uploaded that episode on YT. I saw it, and she's great. Her her design is great, I love her voice, and the way the performer performed was perfect for the character, everything about her is just awesome. Although, i'm not quite sure who played her, sounds like it could either Alice Dinnean or Kathy Mullen.

17. D'Snowth

This may be Telly's song, but it's the Egyptian AMs that make it for me:

18. D'Snowth

I wanted to praise Louise Gold in this one, considering the British performer was able to pull off a convincing southern accent without it being such an over-the-top and exaggerated drawl like many people tend to do. Makes me think of how Cary Elwes can do a decent southern accent, but can't seem to keep up a New York accent without traces of his natural British accent slipping in.

19. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

Not sure if anyone's brought this up, but c'mon...this is one of the best segments I've ever seen on Sesame Street. Featuring some familiar Anything Muppets such as Prairie Dawn, Roosevelt Franklin, Farley, Mr. Johnson, etc.

sesamemuppetfan likes this.
  20. D'Snowth

I love the peasant girl in this, especially how they did her eyes, making them all big and wide, but also glassy to make them look all the more sad and pitiful - like they do in cartoons whenever a character has big, sad eyes.