Applause Bunny Picnic Puppets Question

MarieIsabella

Reaction score
Hi Everyone:smile:

I was wondering how much these puppets are worth? I have seen them on ebay a couple times and Twitch went for over $40 dollars and she was only on as bunny puppet, with no mention of henson or the movie in the title.

I was lucky enough to get twitch and great great grandmother bunny recently and though I am not going to sell them, I was just curious if they had a value for a rare collectable, or is it just from ebay that I can base their price since other people want them also?

I was also curious who else on muppet central has these puppets, does someone have the whole collection?

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I have the Bean puppet. I don't know the collector's value of them, but I was told by Steve Whitmire himself the ones that were produced during the mid 1980s when Tale of the Bunny Picnic came out, that those were the harder to find ones. I also found mine as a fluke years ago at a local gift shop that went out of business around Easter time where there was a barrel full of a variety of stuffed Easter rabbits. After digging through them, I came across Bean and his sister. My mom said she wasn't buying both for me at the time so to pick one and I said well I have to have Bean because it's one of Steve's characters, blah blah blah. I proudly have him sitting in my room with the rest of my Muppet collection :smile:

MarieIsabella

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your story!:smile: What a great find! Too bad your mom wouldn't let you get both though!
I hope to find Bean Bunny someday, He is my favorite as well. I am constantly looking on ebay, and I found someone got him for $15 in a completed lisiting, so jealous! lol I also check out flea markets and Yard Sales.
But if I find Twitch or Great Great Grandmother again you can be sure I will offer them on here, because I want to help out fellow fans, ebay is a battlefield that no one really wins at, and I hate how people wit money always win, I want people like me who can't spend a lot getting my finds:smile:

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Yeah I know, Ebay it's everyone on their own :smile: I would've gotten both believe me, this was before I was working and stuff so I had to rely on mom for stuff :smile:
I heard they sell Bean Bunnies at Disney World I think (or at least they used to) but these were not the same ones. The Applause ones are much rarer and the originals that they made. Good luck in your search though!!

MarieIsabella

Reaction score
haha:smile: I remember those days, but I definately got more on my own, not like my mom wouldn't buy me things, but I felt better using my own money and would buy more. Although my mom is the one who started off my Dark Crystal and Labyrinth Collections:smile:

Yeah I guess they made two of them one small one (bean bag plush) and a larger one, I got the information from good old muppet central:smile:

I might get one of those, but I am not sure yet. I try to get the best deal because I don't have much to spend and so far all I could find was 17.95 lol.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Yes, mine is definitely the hand puppet although I find I can only get my finger in the bottom of his mouth to move it and the other fingers in his arms. But he's adorable and to me looks very much like the actual puppet :smile:

MarieIsabella

Reaction score
Yeah! I know what you mean, Twitch I can move her mouth easily but Great Grandmother I can't really get my hand in, wonder why that is? I guess it was really intented for children:smile:
Twitch's face looks like her but the puppet is way off, in the movie she is white with a yellow dress and the puppet is light brown with a pink dress, grandmother is right on, and Bean looks accurate from pictures, but the Father Bunny is another twitch situation. He just doesn't look right, lol.
I saw the father on ebay a couple years ago and I didn't even bother to bid because he looks so bad, maybe the picture didn't do him justice.
Have you seen the movie recently?
I watched it when I got the puppets and it just confirmed how much I really love it. Since it was a childhood favorite I remember it and I still find it funny to this day. Perhaps one of my favorite parts is when bean devises the plan and gets all the other bunnies together and he goes to get the one bunny, and the bunny goes back to him room the mysterious music plays and he grabs something from the bowl.
And I love Be Bop with his little sun glasses and the Storyteller cracks me up with the way he says "follow me"
Oh yeah and how the Dog says the wrong parts of his body: "I am going to sink my doggy eyes into this food, and then close my doogy teeth and forget all about it"
Pretty much the whole movie has me laughing, what are your favorite parts?

I was watching it with my husband and he was just looking at me, giving me a weird look. The whole time I was telling him how funny it was, but he didn't get it lol:smile:

For an hour TV Special, It was really well done.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
You know i haven't seen the film in years to be honest and I believe i only saw it once or twice. I don't own a copy actually. I saw it when Nickelodeon used to run their Muppet Matinee thing on the weekends which I used to love because that's how I started taping the Muppet Shows again and ended up seeing a lot of Henson stuff I had never seen like Monster Maker, etc. I agree though Tale of the Bunny Picnic was a wonderfully done special, the characters were adorable, (I love Bean imagining he's a dragon, etc.) and I love the dog performed by Jim Henson. Also was great to give Steve Whitmire a real huge chance to shine...