Aquarium closing unless we get help!

RubberDucky

Reaction score
"Friends Of The Belle Isle Aquarium Need Your Help!

Detroit is planning to shut down its historic 101 year old aquarium to save money. The Belle Isle Aquarium is located on historic Belle Island and is home to many endangered species of fish, some of which are extinct in the wild. It is also the oldest operation aquarium in the United States.

Friends Of The Belle Isle Aquarium are trying to stop the city of Detroit from making another historic building a deserted eye sore. Please visit www.belleisleaquarium.com to post comments, make pledges, write representatives....or if you live up here go visit Belle Isle!

I apologize if this is not the proper forum to put a thread like this in, but I can't stand the thought of them closing this place. It's a beautiful building and home to many charming creatures. If they shut it down there will homeless seahorses, stingrays, and my favorite "Grandpa" the giant gourami! :cry:
So if there are any friends of fish out there...please take action or pass the info on. We have until April 2nd to save the BIA and its residents

chestermcdragon

Reaction score
im sorry to hear that.can you make donations?i can see this place is important to you.i know how it feels.there used to be a flower factory close to my home.it had a wirey shape on top of it that reminded me of a giraffe.i really enjoyed seeing it when i was 6-9.but sadly there was a malfunction and it just fell down one day.100s died :cry:

RubberDucky

Reaction score
Yes, they're taking donations trying to raise the funds needed, though unfortunately I'm not in a great position to help financially. I've volunteered my art services and I'm trying to spread the word and get more support. My mom runs an aquarium business so i've also offered a home if they can't place some of their rare fish (in the case the aquarium gets shut down). I really hope the city takes notice of all the work we've done. For being a hodge podge group of citizens we've made good progress.....but the $ is still way short of the total needed.