1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Archaia Comics Labyrinth Tie-In to deal with how Jareth became Goblin King

Discussion in 'Fantasy Worlds' started by Rachael, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Rachael

Rachael Member

I have just found a reference in this article to the upcoming Labyrinth tie-in comic by Archaia, it doesn't reveal a great deal but does say that the comic will deal with how Jareth became Goblin King-

http://blogs.laweekly.com/stylecouncil/2011/08/jim_henson_archaia.php

I'm quite excited for the comic in light of this. While there were a lot of good elements to Return To Labyrinth (the series any new comics will inevitably be compared to), I don't think it hung together very well and ultimately it suffered from too much going on. All the sub-plots detracted from the whole, and it didn't help that Toby wasn't a particularly gripping protagonist. Jareth is a far more engaging character, and a comic focused on him should at least be an interesting curiosity if nothing else.

RTL is quite an interesting case, as quite a few fans must have brought it (it sold quite well) yet it has had little to no impact on fandom. I have maybe seen four of five RTL influenced fanfictions, as opposed to 1000s that follow original, fan-created story-lines (which are, let's face it, for the most part straightforward (and often dull) Sarah/Jareth fluff). I find it really interesting how fans of a franchise/film/TV series create their own mythology, and that often over-shadows story-lines and plot-points introduced in material sanctioned by the copyright holders.

What do you think about the prospect of a comic dealing with Jareth's origins? Does it appeal to you at all?
    jvcarroll likes this.
  2. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Heh, you haven't read the stuff by RedPiggy yet have you? Look up either her RTL VG fic, Comeback King Saga, or her RedPiggy's Realizations articles. There's more from her tieing in the Henson-verse and RTL, but the recommended reads above are good starting points. :jim
  3. Rachael

Rachael Member

Thanks, I looked it up quickly and it appears quite interesting. I must admit that I'm not that big a fan of crossovers for the most part, but at least all the fandoms in the story full under the JH umbrella!
  4. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

*sneezes*
    Thanks for the shout-out, Ed. It was a rough day at work. :)
  5. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Any time Kelly. :D
  6. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

Thanks for the info!
    I dont know... I think I dont really want to know how Jareth became the Goblin King. I mean, it can kill the whole magic feeling of Labyrinth. But who knows, it depends how they make it.
  7. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

I actually already know how one becomes the Goblin King...

...you have to successfully wed a Burger King with a Dairy Queen. Bonus points if the happy couple produces a Carl Jr.
  8. RedPiggy

9. Rachael

Rachael Member

Lazlo - I know what you mean, sometimes these projects can end up as information over-kill and end badly. However, Archaia have a very good track record and it seems like their A Tale Of Sand was very thoughtfully put together, so I trust them to do a good job.
  10. mewcowardlylion

mewcowardlylion New Member

Any idea if the story idea comes from something Jim Henson wrote down or said? Or Brian Froud?
  11. Rachael

Rachael Member

12. Scooterforever

Scooterforever Active Member

If this comic comes to pass, I hope they also delve into the pasts of other characters like Ludo, Hoggle, and Sir Didymus. I'd like to know how Didymus got the eyepatch.
  13. RedPiggy

It sounds like an epic story. Imagine Sir Didymus battling hordes and hordes.

But I get the feeling he accidentally poked himself in the eye with his own sword. :p
  14. Scooterforever

Yeah, I guess that's more in keeping with his personality. Certainly, it would be interesting to see what roles Ludo, Hoggle, and Didymus played in the Goblin Kingdom before Sarah came along. Also, maybe it will explore something I've always wondered; were the other goblins in the Labyrinth once human?
  15. RedPiggy

Hard to tell. Jareth threatens it, but we never see any evidence humans turning into goblins ever happens. :)
  16. Rachael

Rachael Member

We have a new article on the project, which largely embellishes what we already know. The most intriguing new detail is that it says that the story will be 'tragic.'
  17. RedPiggy

I MUST get my hands on these....
  18. Rachael

Rachael Member

We have the first teaser image from the prequel, showing a teenaged (and brown-haired) Jareth-

[​IMG]

The art is by Cory Godbey, the same artist who's doing the 'Hoggle and the Worm' short story for Free Comic Book Day.
    jvcarroll likes this.
  19. RedPiggy

I MUST get my hands on these ...

wait, now I'm repeating myself :D
  20. Scooterforever

Is this out yet? Why isn't this out yet:grr::mad::boo:?