Are records making a comeback?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I saw on the front page of the paper today that records (y'know, those large, round, flat, black vinyl things with the grooves on the surface that you used to listen to music on before CDs were invented?) are apparently making a comeback, listing such vinyl albums from the likes of The Beatles, Michael Jackson, Jimi Hyndrix and more have sold like thousands of copies in the past year...

But uh, is this seriously happening? Because, if records are suddenly becoming popular again, and people are buying thousands of vinyl albums, then I guess this is yet another sign that my town is a hundred years behind while everyone else is ahead, because the only place I know where you can find records is Goodwill, and I NEVER see anybody looking through records there.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Records have been making a comeback for a while now. I first noticed about 3 years ago when I went to Best Buy and saw they had Re-issues of assorted albums that I thought were calendars XD

Heck, even new releases by artists have been increasingly released on vinyl. It also makes it easier to find a record player as you can buy one new for like 200 bucks with a cd burner

Hot topic also sells records...I thought about buying Joan Jett's Greatest Hits, but one, I dont have a record player, and two, I dont want to give my money to that soul sucking company :smirk:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Why does Ed feel the need to constantly change the title of every single thread I post? It's annoying, and somewhat insulting.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Records are definitely making a comeback, which is awesome. Especially when it comes to the gorgeous original album covers.

At lot of people may disagree with this, but personally I'd love for cassette tapes to make a comeback, lol. :insatiable:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
One thing I'd like to see make a comeback by the time I'm able to like to call myself a considered pro is this...

Being able to shoot a show or movie on 35mm film.

TSSD

Reaction score
Wait, what are these "record" things you speak of?:big_grin:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Wait, what are these "record" things you speak of?:big_grin:
Lol.

I'm not gonna lie, one time in science class in Grade 9, our teacher asked us if any of us knew what laserdiscs were; I was the only one who did, and I answered "Like giants DVDs before DVDs were actually invented."

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm not gonna lie, one time in science class in Grade 9, our teacher asked us if any of us knew what laserdiscs were; I was the only one who did, and I answered "Like giants DVDs before DVDs were actually invented."
Lol, well that's accurate!

My family never had laserdiscs and I never knew anyone who did, even when they were popular. Everyone had VCRs and VHSs. In fact the first time I actually SAW a laserdisc was in college years later, lol. And yeah that was basically my reaction as well, a giant DVD, lol.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
My elementary school had laserdiscs. Actually, only in the science classroom. They had these "Windows on Science" educational disks.

But yeah, this was of course before dvds so my reaction as a kid was "thats a big cd!"

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
And of course, as so often with technology, being bigger did not seem to equal better. The laserdisc I first saw was for Star Wars and it seemed like more chapters would be able to fit on your typical puny DVD than on this gigantic Laserdisc!