Are reruns of Mister Rogers Neighborhood going to be discontinued?

Teheheman

Reaction score
I've said this in the 40th season thread and I'll say it now, they can run old episodes of Seseme street and basically teach the same things that they are teaching now. Save the money and run the reruns. You know, the ones WITHOUT Elmo. Elmo is a little too self-centered, calling himself by 3rd person all the time like he's a split personality. But, Mr. Rogers is an American icon. You can't tell me that this next generation would be glad to have somebody like Mr. Rogers. Although, it wouldn't shock me if PBS cancelled the show, I mean, Mr. Rogers has been dead for almost 5 years and the show's been in reruns for 6 or 7. Sometimes it's time to make room for new shows, and new blood in the kids education scene.

Daniel

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I agree, I do not buy this idea that kids don't identify with the old school episodes, it's just not accurate.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Yeah.

Also let's keep on topic here. We're talking about Mr. Rogers, on SS we already discuss old and new SS in the SS section as it as.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
In a blog posting from earlier this year, I quoted from an article that talked about the possibility of "Mr. Rogers" going off the air at a future date.

Mr. (Kevin) Morrison acknowledged that individual PBS stations make decisions about what shows to carry and FCI continues to support "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood," but he also understands the reality of the television business.

"We're on PBS and will be into the foreseeable future, but I think no one has any doubt about the fact that one day it won't be on," he said.

"I still think there's so much good about the 'Neighborhood' that I would want it to go on as long as it can, because I think it's ageless," Mrs. Rogers said. "But there are some dated things about it."

(From the article, 'Mister Rogers' Neighborhood' firm plans new TV series; Thursday, December 28, 2006; By Rob Owen, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette)

http://heroshaven.blogspot.com/2007/01/fred-and-courteney.html

It's interesting - a local PBS station here had dropped Mr. Rogers from its schedule for several months, but then picked it up again! Perhaps viewer demand brought him back. I'm very glad that the show is still around & hope it continues to run for all time in some form or another.

And so what if it has some dated stuff about it?

As long as it has an audience then it should remain.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Although, it wouldn't shock me if PBS cancelled the show, I mean, Mr. Rogers has been dead for almost 5 years and the show's been in reruns for 6 or 7. Sometimes it's time to make room for new shows, and new blood in the kids education scene.
Yeah it's complicated. Sometimes it's good to bring in new blood. Family Guy took over where The Simpsons left off, it was needed.

On the other hand, sometimes we get so caught up in doing something new, we reject the old as useless. If this keeps up, we won't have anything left that's worth preserving.

I agree, why are people so worried about things looking dated? I think a lot of it is overreaction.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here's what I have to say about the whole thing...

Why aren't kids watching Mr. Rogers? He's not a dumb blue dog, or some obnoxious little hispanic girl that talks loudly and slowly. Those are the kinds of sh.....ows that little kids think they want to see.
I do think PBS has made some strides lately. They dropped Boobah, they replaced a Thomas the Tang Engine knock off with the REAL Thomas the Tank Engine, and that new Cuerous George cartoon is amazingly well done, with great voice acting and animation (for Korean made for TV animation). But they still have Barney sucking his last teat of stardom, and the tellitubbies, which would never have been popular if that Blowhard Falwell didn't say one of them was gay.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Although, it wouldn't shock me if PBS cancelled the show, I mean, Mr. Rogers has been dead for almost 5 years and the show's been in reruns for 6 or 7. Sometimes it's time to make room for new shows, and new blood in the kids education scene.

Daniel
It's true you know? My local PBS station has had the exact same schedule for YEARS...

11:00 - Sesame Street
12:00 - Local Programs
12:30 - Wishbone
1:00 - Reading Rainbow
1:30 - Teletubbies
2:00 - Between the Lions
2:30 - Wimzie's House
3:00 - Mister Rogers's Neighborhood
3:30 - Sesame Street (Encore)
4:30 - Arthur
5:00 - Clifford the Big Red Dog
5:30 - Cyberchase
6:00 - Zoom

Then in 2005, when that whole PBS Kids "GO!" thing started, the schedule FINALLY changed, and since then, my local PBS station has NEVER had a regular channel. Here's what it is now...

11:00 - Sesame Street
12:00 - Local Programs
12:30 - Mister Rogers's Neighborhood
1:00 - Reading Rainbow (believe it or not!)
1:30 - Between the Lions
2:00 - Dragon Tales
2:30 - It's a Big, Big World
3:00 - Clifford the Big Red Dog or Clifford's Puppy Days
3:30 - Curious George
4:00 - Cyberchase
4:30 - Arthur
5:00 - Maya and Miguel
5:30 - Fetch! With Ruff Ruffman (whatever that is)
6:00 - Jakers!/Piggley Winks (whatever that is too)

See?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
This is purely my opinion, but there will always be fads that gain popularity, even when they don't deserve it. The quality work may get forgotten by the majority, but that doesn't mean they are gone. Sometimes quality survives in the hands of a few people, who work to bring their interests the praise it deserves.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Very true, very true, kind of like how SpongeBob SquarePants became such a huge fad when it really didn't deserve to.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Um well I liked Spongebob, lol. But that's ok. Like I said, a lot of it is based on opinion. That's why this will always be a never ending debate. Lol :smile: