Are The Dvd's Different?!

shark

Reaction score
Not to sound silly or demanding, but it's an important question (that could, I'd think, be included in a FAQ)

Are there or are not differences between the Time Life and Columbia/Tri Star discs. I'm waiting to buy one or the other based on this info, so you can imagine how rabid you'd be to get muppet stuff...:smile:

thanks, sorry to be poopy.

shark

Reaction score
if nobody can or is willing to answer this, is there another muppet board that I can go to to find out?

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Shark,

I don't have both versions of the DVD's personally, but the side and back packaging does differ very slightly. The same pictures and content is basically there. There are some extremely minor differences though on the back cover.

Can someone who has the Columbia DVD's confirm the following? Are their Columbia trailers on the disc for other Columbia products? Obviously Time-Life's discs won't have these. Also do the Columbia DVD's include these extras?

Disc 1
UK Skits - Any Old Iron, Borneo, Fit as a Fiddle
Muppetism - Floyd (the Groovemaster) and Kermit (amphiboogie danci-frog)
Movie Mania - Flipperdance
Archives - Swedish Chef sketch

Disc 2
UK Skits - Three Little Fishes, Veterinarian's Hospital, Marvin Suggs Interview
Muppetism - Miss Piggy (the Diva)
Muppet Screen Test - Star Wars: Yoda
Archives - Angus McGonagle sketch

It's most likely the Columbia episodes are uncut. If they weren't someone would've commented on it by now. Personally I recommend getting the Time-Life discs (unless Time-Life doesn't ship to you in your area). Time-Life has the rights to the DVD episodes for the first year before Columbia can release them. So the volumes 11-15 which Time-Life will be releasing on DVD in October 2002 won't be available from Columbia until October 2003 at the absolute earliest.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I am not sure what is so different. Mayhaps the UK skits are deleted, or maybe some episodes are cut, (like a certain Christmas special). I am not sure, since I do not have a DVD or do I wish to involve myself with any Time Life type of video ordering service!

However, word has it that the Timelife ones are better. Hope this is of some help!

towels

Reaction score
I think part of the problem is that the info that Columbia gave out regarding these discs turned out to be false. I'm not sure that anyone has done a detailed check to compare and contrast.

shark

Reaction score
thanks all for the reply - it's obviously far easier (here in Canada) to buy the first 2 discs at retail - it's the difference between 80 and 85 minutes that concerns me, of course.

The discs are selling for $25 cdn, around $16 US - cheaper even then if I bought the bulk deal from Time Life.

I've noticed on Ebay a number of retailers selling all the discs, sometimes for less than the deal at T/L - any other means to get those titles? I agree with your point that T/L is likely to have the discs for a year or so before Columbia is likely to release them.

I'm looking for two complete sets (of the 15, or eventually 20 I guess) for me and a fellow Canadian. T/L doesn't ship up here for those products, obviously a rights issue. Ebay works, but is a bit of a pain - if anybody has any info it'd rock.

Sorry to be so pushy with the question, I was patient - had to get through the clutter! :smile: I think it's a question that a lot of people are likely to ask.

cheers

Luke

Reaction score
I've actually noticed that Canadian DVD's are sooooooo much cheaper than either UK or USA ones. For the price of one UK DVD i can get a Canadian one released a lot earlier including the shipping and still have change in my pocket !

Walker Boh

Reaction score
Originally posted by Phillip Chapman
Can someone who has the Columbia DVD's confirm the following? ...
The Columbia DVDs have all of the extras you listed. The trailers are for Muppets From Space, Muppets Take Manhattan, Kermit's Swamp Years, and Bear in the Big Blue House. I hope this helps.

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
do the Columbia DVDs have any muppet moments on them? i thought i heard the the Time life one's have one on each disc. and then something about muppets facts? i don't know?

so the Columbia's have the brian henson intro's and the UK parts?

Zack)Rowlf the, oh i've been away from the computer for ten days...no i didn't go anywhere, i did rush out and bought the new muppet cd on the 17th, but, i took a little break from the net...plus i bought a new video game...Kingdom Hearts, it's great!..bye!...Dog.