Are the Muppet films out of print?

gobofraggle

Reaction score
Hi, all.
I just picked up "The Muppets Take Manhattan" DVD at the Wal*Mart 1/2 price bin, and also noticed that only used copies of "Great Muppet Caper" and "The Muppet Movie" are available through Amazon.
Does this mean these are out of print and I missed my chance to own them? (The used ones on Amazon are just way out of my price range).
That being said, I also wish that TMTM had a commentary track by Frank Oz. That would have been cool.

Whatever

Reaction score
Yeah, the contract with whoever was producing them just ran out and now we have to wait for Disney to produce them.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Most of the 1999-2002 Columbia-Tri Star DVD/VHS releases have gone out of print and are getting hard to find. Including The Muppet Movie, The Great Muppet Caper, The Muppets Take Manhattan, Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas, Rocky Mountian Holiday, and Muppet Family Christmas (just to name a few). Rumor has it that Disney may be releasing some of the classic Muppet films/specials in new (or "Special") edition DVD/VHS in the coming years (but nothing has been announced yet). But HIT Entertainment is releaseing a new DVD of "Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas" later this year. The Muppet films on DVD are getting tough to find, if you do happen to find any of these DVDs in stores (or even on online stores) consider yourself lucky.

Xela

Reaction score
Aww...I still need The Muppet Movie! I've found Muppets Take Manhatten and The Great Muppet Caper in stores, but I like the first one best.

I keep renting it from Blockbuster, but I can't rest until I own it!

christyb

Reaction score
My suggestion is check rental places like Blockbuster to find these items. Sometimes they'll sell movies that aren't rented often enough. Also I know Best Buy (or at least the one here in MT) is carrying MTM and MTI. If you buy items via the internet I think walmart.com still has a few copies of GMC and TMM left. Best of luck in your hunt!

BigTiny

Reaction score
eBay sure seems to be the place for Muppet-related DVD's these days. I have stumbled into a few locally, but eBay seems to be the best bet. That is if you willing to pay... Seems Muppet Movie brand new on eBay will run you between 30-45 bucks...

I really want Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas, but the going rate is aboue 50-75! I guess I'll wait for Hit or Disney. :smile:

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
BigTiny said:
I really want Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas, but the going rate is aboue 50-75! I guess I'll wait for Hit or Disney. :smile:
HIT is planning to re-release Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas on DVD this fall.

Xela

Reaction score
You can get some of them on Amazon, but the ones I see are always used copies. Not that I really mind, but I'd like to try to find a copy that isn't used..