Are the Simpsons showing signs of wear?

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
Not all of the new ones are bad, just the majority of them.

The one where Lisa goes to college is hilarious; definately one of the best.

ScottMonster

Reaction score
Originally posted by Boober_Gorg Like SNL, The Simpsons is just begging for laughs these days
And we all know why that is, right?:big_grin: Make no mistake: SNL needs to bring back Scred, Ploobis, The Mighty Favog and all the other "Land Of Gorch" Muppets - 'nuff said!

Erine81981

Reaction score
I would agree with everybody. I like the Simpsons. I haven't watched them in so long (since I get the dish) I still have cable I just don't watch them but every now an then I'll watch'em. I can't wait for the 3th season comes out. DVD.

King Prawn

Reaction score
Originally posted by Erine81981
I can't wait for the 3th season comes out. DVD.
I know me neither but they take so long to release them, we got Season 1 in September 2001 and now come August 2003 will still be on Season 3, although if they were to come out sooner with all the Muppet Stuff i'm buying i probably wouldn't be able to get them as soon as they came out.

Beakie

Reaction score
I don't really think The Simpsons is the funniest show on tv anymore, I don't think there are any funny shows on anymore.. Of course, I don't have cable.

The last Simpsons episode that I really liked was in season 8, and the last whole season that I thought was mostly good was season 7. And now they just finished season 14 (which I thought was by far the worst yet).

Lame plots, the same plots over and over again, cop-out endings, too many guest stars who don't really do anything interesting, characters acting out-of-character and losing their uniqueness, good characters disappearing while boring characters that no one likes are focused on more, too much South-Park-style disgusting humor, too many Family-Guy-style ridiculous things happening (not that I don't like those shows, but why is The Simpsons suddenly trying to be just like them), too much singing, too much making fun of itself, too many stupid jokes that make no sense, *rambles on for hours*. It's obviously changed a lot from how it used to be... if you took away all past episodes and the newer ones were the first, I probably wouldn't have ever watched more than one episode.

Just my opinion.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I'm not an avid Simpsons fan, but I do catch about a third of the shows every season. Simpsons has always been hit or miss, but they're still funny. They've had some rough patches, but that's to be expected after so many seasons. What's great about the show is that the whole tone has matured through time, but it still has remained true. It's just that the show periodically runs out of steam and then finds a new spark. Many predicted the show's death a few seasons in and then it got better. I think their peak is over, but it's one of the highest quality shows on television - ever. It has ten times more laughs and gags per minute than Seinfeld. I'm amazed it still has such momentum. I hope they eventually make it an even two decades. That might not be likely, but if any show deserves it, they do.

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
Hey, with their new contract, they'll already pass up OZZIE & HARRIETT as the longest running comedy on television. That in itself is an honor!

Beakie

Reaction score
oh yeah, almost forgot about That 70's Show. I don't think the newer episodes of that are as funny as they used to be either, but still, I kinda prefer it to the Simpsons :smirk: though I know a lot of people hate it, for some reason..

homerthegreat

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that all the greatest Simpsons eps are written by the same guy? The great John Swartzwelder? Let's see, he's written:

Krusty Gets Kancelled (the Gabbo one)
Homer the Great :smile: (the Stonecutter one)
Homer's Enemy (the Frank Grimes one)
The Catridge Family (when Homer gets a gun)

Aren't those great episodes?

Oh, about the "Simpsons losing their flare," sure they are, but remember: they've been on air for over 16 years! Many thought it would last past season 3!