Arthur: The Classics

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's one of the older episodes they seem to rerun endlessly. Actually, that's due in part to it being one of the episodes they used when they used to have kid's pledge month. They had a limited amount of these because they actually cut out the "Talk to some Kids" segment to make room for more pledging, and that's apparently work.

Unless I'm thinking of D.W.'s Fire Drill. Yeah. THAT was the one that was on every time it was pledge month AND fire safety month.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think "The Contest" is a holy grail, if not THE holy grail episode, because let's face it, this episode really put the "Furry Confusion" trope into play here: "If they're animals, does their cafeteria serve bugs and garbage for lunch?" "How can a mouse have a pet dog, wouldn't the dog eat him?"

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
LOL, that's very true, but what stuck out for me in that episode is that it was the first and only time they showed an actual timeline! My little child mind just exploded when they showed what the characters would be like at thirteen. And they never returned to it again and they are still 8-9!

Greengables95

Reaction score
I'm 17 and I still watch Arthur religiously! My favorite episodes are:
1. And Now Let's Talk to Some Kids
2. Arthur Vs. The Very Mean Crossing Guard
3. The Fright Stuff
4. Just Desserts
5. Arthur's Chicken Pox

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Why do people always need to announce their age when talking about cartoons? No offense to you. Its just a pet peeve of mine.

Was "The Contest" really written by that girl as part of a contest? For the life of me I do not remember any Arthur writing contests :/

Greengables95

Reaction score
^None taken. It annoys me as well, but I can't change the past.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think "The Contest" is a holy grail, if not THE holy grail episode, because let's face it, this episode really put the "Furry Confusion" trope into play here: "If they're animals, does their cafeteria serve bugs and garbage for lunch?" "How can a mouse have a pet dog, wouldn't the dog eat him?"
Dude... How about this...

is a dog, but so isn't

Or in Arthur's case, Binky's a Dog and Pal's a dog... how come Binky can walk and talk like a human and Pal's a pet? I really like how they mentioned that in that episode.
Was "The Contest" really written by that girl as part of a contest? For the life of me I do not remember any Arthur writing contests :/
I don't remember one either, EVEN though my local PBS is the show's producer. And I don't think she so much wrote the episode as much as wrote a concept. And basically her concept was only taken because it was so obvious that it was brilliant. Only contest I can remember is the one with Lydia Fox, who hasn't been in a SINGLE episode since.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Maybe I got into too deep of thinking last night, but something doesn't quite make sense to me...

In "Arthur's Almost Boring Day", Arthur and D.W. are sent to Grandma Thora's house, where she shows them some of the things their dad had from his childhood, including a pair of bell-bottom pants, which he appeared to wear when he was Arthur's age. Now, I believe it was the 1970s that bell bottoms were "all the rage", so considering he was possibly Arthur's age during that time, that would mean that present-day (1996 or 1997, whenever that episode came out), he would have only been in his twenties, which doesn't seem to make sense, because it seems like Arthur and D.W.'s parents are supposed to be at least middle-aged or so.