Arthur - What Did the Kids Grow Up to Be?

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Here's a question that seems to pop into the minds of a lot of Arthur fans. What do you think the characters grew up to be?

Arthur - Probably remained the average Joe that we all know and love. Though I can see him having contacts by high school. And being a ladies man (did you see how much attention he got from the girls in the episode with D.W.'s blankey?). I can see Arthur becoming a teacher, maybe taking Mr. Ratburn's place after he retires.

Buster - Remains the best of friends with Arthur. Becomes pretty popular in high school, and keeps his sense of humor. Maybe he became a stand-up comic. While in college, he's abducted by aliens for about a week.

D.W. - I can see D.W. winding up with Mr. Ratburn as her third grade teacher. In fact, what if D.W.'s presence caused Ratburn's retirement? Actually, I can see D.W. becoming very successful in life (she is pretty smart). Though she'll still have a bit of a temper (especially as a teenager). I can see her dating James, much to his reluctance.

Francine - What if Francine lost her tomboy personality as she grew older? Or maybe she keeps that part of her character. I can see her trying out for high school sports. She probably became an athlete. And I can see Francine and Arthur as a couple.

Muffy - I can see Muffy still retaining that 'high and mighty' attitude in high school. Possibly even rejecting her friends. Not sure what she could go for as a career. One almost expects her to spend a good part of her life living off of her dad's money.

The Tibbles - Became juvenile delinquents.

Prunella - Stopped hanging out with Arthur and co. when she entered middle school. Became a phone psychic.

George - His talent with Wally got him a lot of attention. So much so that the two later got their own TV show.

Sue Ellen - Went back to traveling around the world, but still keeps in touch with her friends.

The Brain - I can see Brain losing some of his 'study habits' in high school. In other words, becoming a bit more of a slacker. He later wins the Nobel Prize, and gets his own TV channel (a reference to the "Magic Toolbox" episode).

Binky - Lost more of his 'tough' image and expressed more of his artistic image.

Fern - Got involved in performing arts, and eventually became an actress. She appeared frequently on Brain's channel, and eventually married him.

Jenna - Became and athlete and married George.

Kate - I wanted to put a joke about those awful "Pal and Kate" episodes, but it might be a bit too dark.

Emily - Moved to France. Continues to ignore D.W.'s letters, e-mails, and Facebook friend requests.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Oh brother, I could have a field day with this thread!

One thing that I find VERY interesting is that in a number of fanfics I've read, Buster seems to grow up to be a stoner and a pervert... I don't know why, but somehow, I can see that happening actually... either that, or he's going to grow up to be like a George Costanza-esque character: his mother has basically been smothering him, he's not going to be able to go out into the world and get a job or live on his own or anything.

Everybody seems to feel that Arthur and Francine are destined for each other in the future... I can't really say whether I agree or not... I have this feeling that Francine will actually end up questioning her sexuality as she gets older, and may even feel some attraction towards Muffy (heck, they she pretty much had a borderline Les Yay Imagine Spot that she and Muffy were literally a match made in Heaven); Arthur on the other hand, he is so not going to be lucky in the romance department, he's just not... even if canon says he and Francine get together, I think that's more wishful thinking than anything.

I don't know about the adult world, but I can actually see D.W. becoming something of a high school bimbo (as in hooking up with a boy and breaking up with him on a weekly basis)... I only predict this because when my niece was little, she could be a little on the bratty side like D.W. is now, and even though she's only in middle school, I hear she's gotten into a phase where she hooks up with boys and breaks up with them constantly, lol.

Brain will certainly go on to work somewhere like NASA, NOAA, or somewhere like that, but his intelligence will more than likely make him a billionare.

Fern will probably be responisble for the next saga craze that makes teens (especially girls) go ape.

George will either probably become a craftsman since he likes to design and build things, or he may even try to become a blues singer.

I can see Binky as the next Billy Elliott.

Muffy will probably TRY to become a successful fashion blogger/designer, but her lack of common sense otherwise, as well as her ridiculous standards will probably set her up for failure... but then again, she's independently wealthy, so what does she need to work for anyway?

Sue Ellen will either go to work as a politician, dabbling in foreign policy, or probably become the female equivilent of Chuck Norris.

I agree about the Tibbles though, they'll definitely spend some time in juvy, then afterwards, they'll get involved in some kind of crime while they're still teenagers, but will end up being tried as adults because of their past.

Hubert

Reaction score
Cool thread...you guys know I'm an Arthur fanatic, so this will take a while...

For Arthur, I definitely doubt that he would be heavily involved in romance as he gets older. Even if he was, I think he would try to keep it as low profile as possible. I can see him becoming a teacher, as Mo sort of already mentioned, or maybe something else that is more normal.

Buster: Originally I thought that he would pretty much maintain his basic personality, but now that D'Snowth put the pervert thought in my head, I can't get it out. I do feel that he would go on continuing to being funny, or at least trying to be funny...however, I can see him as someone who isn't motivated to get a job or anything...someone who just spends his life eating and sleeping and slacking off on life. Romance-wise, for some reason I feel that his mother would have some problems with him dating...

Francine: I saved this for Francine's paragraph, but I really do see Arthur and Francine eventually getting married. I don't have much more to say on that, other than I don't know what D'Snowth was thinking when he wrote about Francine. I do think that she would become a horseback rider, or maybe something else sports related. She just seems like the type of person who would want to be an athlete.

Muffy: I have no doubts that she will constantly be trying to be famous and the best at everything, working in fashion, running an advice column...I really see her trying to run some kind of TV show, whether it's a talk show or a fashion makeover type show, or even a show like Fashion Police. Whether or not she'll succeed...well, that's a different story. I also see her being really involved in romance, and being a typical girly, spoiled, girl as a teenager.

Binky: I think Binky is going to become a musician, and ironically and extremely nice and easy going one at that...with the occasional nasty prank here and there.

Brain: Obviously he's going to be something in the sorts of a scientist or something very sophisticated and scientific.

Prunella: I think being a fortune teller or something in that line would be a possibility for her, but I'm wondering if maybe she'll grow out of that stage and become something more normal, maybe a teacher or something.

George: I see him as a construction worker or carpenter or anything that involves building things, with possibly being a musician on the side.

Jenna: I feel like Jenna is destined for something really sophisticated. Don't know what.

Fern: There's no question in my mind that Fern will become some kind of writer, and a good one at that.

D.W.: I do like D'Snowth's idea of her constantly dating/breaking up and complaining over it. She does seem like she could become that...as for a furure career, I can't think of anything.

Emily: I'm sure she will succeed in doing something grand that involves France or something like that...

Tibbles: I can really see Tommy growing out of his misbehaving/annoying thing, and becoming a very smart and well mannered person. Timmy, on the other hand, I can see him spending his whole life in jail.

Molly: Molly has a good side to her, and I can see her becoming someone that does end up making a positive impact on people, possibly even running some sort of advice show or something like that.

Sue Ellen: I can see her becoming some sort of archaeologist and expert on ancient civilizations in other countries.

EDIT: I just realized, that was my 2000th post!

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Those are some really good ideas!

Actually, I recently tossed around an idea for an Arthur fan fic. What if Arthur and co. just lost touch by high school? That seems to happen a lot with kids that you knew in elementary school, but just drifted away from for one reason or another (going to different middle schools is probably the most common). Arthur and Buster just no longer being friends is a bit of a sad idea. I guess I kind of imagine Buster being the popular kid and Arthur being the school 'nobody'.

Hubert

Reaction score
Another thing that I could also see would be neither of the two being popular, but instead being the non-popular friends.

Drtooth

Reaction score
They all become the President. Every single one of them. Every time.

Such delusion of grandeur, those kids have.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I can see Arthur and Francine marrying because Francine made him marry her and Arthur had no other luck with girls. Or maybe marrying Molly

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Another plot device that is REALLY popular in fanfics when the kids are older, despite how rather far-fetched it is, is that Ratburn, under whatever circumstances, ends up being promoted to a high school teacher and, you guessed it, most of the kids end up in his classes again.

I really wish I can remember this one fic I read that had this hilarious subplot involved Buster always being high because he was a druggie, and the kids had to do book reports, and he did one on a book about, of all things, colors... he stood there giving his report, and babbled on and on and on and on about how he had yet to, "Master the wonders of secondary colors." :laughs: I'm pretty sure there was also one scene where he impulsively decides he try and fly, and ends up jumping off his apartment balcony and has to be rushed to the hospital for a broken leg.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
You know, I just thought of something. Has there ever been a 'hybrid' character on Arthur? In other words, one that's a cross between two different species? I'm wondering if the kids would wind up marrying those from their own species.

Hubert

Reaction score
You know, I just thought of something. Has there ever been a 'hybrid' character on Arthur? In other words, one that's a cross between two different species? I'm wondering if the kids would wind up marrying those from their own species.
Emily's mother is a rabbit and her father is a monkey. James and Molly's mother is a rat and father is a rabbit. But somehow or another, neither shows any traits of both species.