1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Arthur - Where is the Show Going?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by D'Snowth, Oct 15, 2009.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

They should have tacked on a little stinger at the end of the episode at the Crosswire party:

RATBURN: Oh, Mr. Crosswire, I thought you'd like to see the spring reading. . . . oh! Are you having cake? :excited:

Dominicboo1 likes this.
  2. D'Snowth

Supposedly - and this hasn't been confirmed or denied - this is what the new animation will look like:

[​IMG]

Clearly, this is 9 Story's model: Arthur's face is really long and his glasses are really high up his face, but the lining has a rough, squiggly look to it that's very reminiscent to Marc Brown's illustrations.

3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Hey...Uhhhhh... Remember that episode "Buster the Daredevil" and Toby and Slink were playing that odd Beavis and Butthead...errrr... "Peabrain" and "Nuthead" arcade game?

Turns out the Arthur writers were accidentally onto something...

There was a Beavis and Butthead arcade game! It just never turned into anything beyond a prototype is all.

4. D'Snowth

Remember twelve years ago when we supposed to pretend Elmo wasn't the ringbearer at Maria and Luis's wedding because Grover took him back in time to show him what SST was like "before he was born," including Maria and Luis's wedding?

Well, now we have to pretend that "D.W.'s Perfect Wish" never happened, because not only is D.W. going to be having her fifth birthday again, but they're making a movie out of it.

Jared DiCarlo likes this.
  5. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Have they been doing that a lot lately? The show used to be pretty good at keeping with the continuity.

6. D'Snowth

Oh yeah, quite a bit. Remember the episode "Buster Baxter, Cat Saver"? Remember how Buster actually lavished in the attention he was getting for being a hero, so much so he was even contemplating his own Cat Saver movies and TV series? He actually brought all that up not too long ago in a recent episode, but this time he said he hated all of the attention he got and having people thinking he was some kind of a big hero when he really wasn't.

7. Pig's Laundry

It seems a bit odd to me that they would continually mention past episodes as if most of the current viewers have seen the older episodes when PBS almost never shows them.

8. D'Snowth

Oh boy, an entire week of classic episodes! An old favorite was on today: "Arthur's Family Vacation; Grandpa Dave's Old Country Farm."

One of the charms of these older episodes are the tiny little details that you'll miss if you blink, such as how Sharky's expression changes throughout the episode, depending on what D.W. does to him: he looks in pain when D.W. slams him ontop of Arthur in the hotel, he looks absolutely ****** when she crams him into the tiny pool, and he looks happy when they go see the JAWS-inspired movie.

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  9. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

They're airing some older episodes like the one when Buster becomes amish, finally. Though, I caught some of those new episodes, and they were awful. One had the Cousin Oliver of Arthur, Lydia, wanting to buy a dress for the play, Muffy gives her one, and she *gasp* ruins it, and surprise she's worried Muffy will be mad and she isn't, what a plot twist. Seriously, what has happened to this show, it used to be hilarious.

10. D'Snowth

Slight correction: Ladonna is the "Cousin Oliver" of ARTHUR of which you speak, Lydia is the wheelchair-bound girl.

Muppet Master likes this.
  11. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

Oh ya, sorry Ladonna, as for Lydia, I thought she was actually an enjoyable character, too bad she didn't appear much.

12. Drtooth

Ladonna, I'd say is more of the Poochie of the show, considering how she was introduced. I'm glad the writers slowly toned her down and made her more approachable as a character. But the fact she never freaking shut up in her first episode really wasn't the way to go to introduce a character.

Sigh...

Arthur and Buster never got to go to the fireworks factory.:(

Mr Snrub and D'Snowth like this.
  13. D'Snowth

OMG, another Season 1 episode on today! Interestingly enough, "Arthur Goes to Camp" was the first episode of the show I ever saw, but this was before my PBS actually aired the show regularly (usually for special occasions like pledge drives, or summer filler).

Interesting, yet odd bit of trivia: the cartoon version of "Arthur Goes to Camp" was actually written by a former LAUGH-IN writer.

It still strikes me odd that Brain is written more like a nerd than a smartypants with his massive comic book collection that's never mentioned again.

Mo Frackle and MikaelaMuppet like this.
  14. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

If memory serves, the book version of "Arthur Goes to Camp" mentioned Brain's love for either comics or trading cards... Can't remember. I believe the character made his debut in the book, as well.

15. D'Snowth

I suppose it's a case of Early Installment Weirdness and Characterization Marches On.

Another example of odd, early Brain was the episode, which title escapes me because I rarely ever saw it on TV, where Brain was sleeping over at Arthur's house, and he was all neat, polite, and well-behaved, but we saw that at his own house, he's actually quite a slob. And, again, like the comic books and trading cards (I remember he collected baseball cards in "Arthur's First Sleepover"), it's never mentioned or showed ever again. Then again, characters like Brain are usually depicted as being compulsive neat freaks who are OCD about cleanliness and organization - Double D from EEE is another example. Dexter is another subversion, however, there was that one episode where he hated washing his hands and taking baths, so he had himself laminated so dirt and grime would just slide off of him.

16. Pig's Laundry

I saw the episode today. It was pretty odd to watch, I guess because I haven't seen the first season in a long time. It was so quiet and awkward, I guess because it was slightly slower paced than future episodes. It's kind of frustrating that PBS or whoever's in charge of DVD/streaming releases, makes it so hard to find older episodes anywhere. The show is 20 years old this year, now would be the perfect time to make the first few seasons available in some way.

17. D'Snowth

It seems almost sadistic that "The Short, Quick Summer" aired Friday, considering school started back for kids early this year. I can remember as a kid it seemed like no sooner did summer vacation start then everybody had to start reminded us and rubbing it in that school would start back again soon enough anyway. It seemed like school kept starting back earlier and earlier every year when I was in school, but I can't remember it ever starting back this early (kids already went back last Monday).

18. Drtooth

If memory serves me, as this was one that if I didn't own I took out of the library an awful lot as a kid, Brain was actually introduced in the book Arthur goes to Camp. He had that huge collection of comics he carried with him in the original source material, and it did tie into the girls pranking the boys with the comics' swamp creature.

19. D'Snowth

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  20. D'Snowth

The number of episodes per season is being dropped from ten to seven. Not sure how they plan on spread that odd number of episodes out over time.