1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Arthur - Where is the Show Going?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by D'Snowth, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

Arthur is still airing in my local station, I mean it's still making new episodes so I don't see why they'd stop airing it. It's more weird how they air Clifford the Big red Dog repeats when the show went off the air 13 years ago.

Mr Snrub likes this.
  2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Clifford's been off my PBS for a good many years now. Go figure.

Muppet Master likes this.
  3. Muppet Master

Well I guess stations differ. Does your station still air Between the Lions, Zoboomafo, or Mr Rogers? Just curious since all 3 shows haven't been on for probably 10 years.

4. Mr Snrub

Mr Snrub Active Member

It's a decent show and I'm sure kids might still like it, so it kinda makes sense

I don't understand why my local station still regularly airs Maya and Miguel.

5. D'Snowth

No, gosh, I can't even remember the last time I saw any of those shows.

6. D'Snowth

Apparently, ARTHUR has, supposedly been moved to 5:30 in the afternoon, but I wouldn't know about that, because that's when my PBS airs local programming. That, and it's also apparently on during a 6:30am death slot.

7. Muppet Master

On Friday, my local PBS station aired the Sleepover/Arthur New Years. Both still hold up and are as funny as ever.

8. D'Snowth

I would have watched that myself (as I still have the episode on tape after all these years), but I somehow didn't think to, lol.

9. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

A season 1 episode? I thought those were forbidden by PBS! Just imagine all the melted faces of the kids who happened to come across it! :eek:

Muppet Master and Pig's Laundry like this.
  10. D'Snowth

They still reserve that one for New Year's, but hey, if you can believe it, they actually have been airing Season 1 episodes again this year . . . on rare occasions, but still. Heck, I believe they actually aired the first episode sometime this year, IIRC.

11. Muppet Master

Ugh, I could imagine kids today preferring season 19 episodes to these s1 episodes.

12. D'Snowth

I honestly cannot believe how so many people out there actually thought Arthur and the gang really would be moving on to Grade 4 this season. ARTHUR's one of those shows that TV Tropes would describe as Status Quo Is God: there's been episodes in the past that would show the kids are moving on, only to be back to where they were afterwards. "The Last Day" wasn't the first episode where they were going to be moving on to Grade 4, and this season is supposed to include a TV movie about D.W. turning five and moving onto kindergarten, which already happened in a much older episode that has since been retconned.

13. D'Snowth

Supposedly, a future episode will almost completely rehash the Chicken Lickin' episode, only this time it's the library Sue Ellen tries to save instead of the Sugar Bowl.

14. D'Snowth

Oh wow. I know a lot of fans have been speculating about this for years, but apparently Marc Brown recently made an appearance at a school, where a student asked him if Francine is gay, to which he said that he's thought about it before, and that "she could be."

If this happened ten years ago, you can bet the house that ARTHUR would be boycotted right and left by morality and parental groups about this: remember how much outrage there was over J.K. Rowling revealing that Dumbledore was gay?

15. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Or remember how Postcards From Buster basically got pulled just because a kid very briefly mentioned that she had two moms.

16. D'Snowth

Well, just that one episode never made it to air nationally (Drtooth swore WGBH in Boston aired it once). But in this case, I feel like the backlash would have been on a much larger scale, considering Francine is a major character in the franchise.

But interestingly, a lot of fans have been wanting the show to introduce a LGBT character for quite some time now . . . then again, they've also been wanting a goth character, an emo character, and all kinds of characters you can imagine would be controversial for a kids show to include.

Flaky Pudding likes this.
  17. Pig's Laundry

Welp, this happened:

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  18. D'Snowth

What is that instrument Jon is playing? I haven't seen anything like that before. Looks like a trumpet with a keyboard that sounds like a harmonica.

19. Pig's Laundry

It has many names. I've always heard the term "key harmonica" used, but it can also be referred to as a melodica, a melody horn, a blow-organ or a pianica:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melodica

20. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

Looks like that video got deleted. :(