Arthur - Where is the Show Going?

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know how much gall they have to plagiarize an episode that says plagiarism is wrong? Sure, it's self plagiarism, but...

I hate to say it but I've pretty much given up on arthur. The new episodes are just kinda...not interesting?

I haven't actually watched a full episode since they switched to flash, but even before then the episodes were just meh...
That's what happens when a show's on 16 years. They run the heck out of ideas, copy themselves, and the show's quality sinks from being on too long.

And yet, if they cancelled it last season, everyone would be whining for more episodes. That's how it usually works.

This season has some pretty good episodes. I liked the one with the computer that had the incorrect information, and there's a lot of potential in the Tough Customer episode and the one where Brain and Buster don't like the same movies (seems there's some good movie parody sequences in that one). Just, this season has all the hallmarks of a show that's past its prime trying to remain relevant.

• Introducing new characters in the most abrasive fashion possible (that was the first episode!)
  • Dramatically changing a character to promote a writer on board's pet agendas (Sue Ellen has to be a Vegan to promote a lifestyle other Vegans/vegetarians spare no time and expense shoving down everyone's throats)
  • Completely out of character moments (Arthur "bullying" Sue Ellen... hey... that brings me to)
  • Turning one character into the creator's pet. Mark my words, it's going to be the "Let's be as good as Sue Ellen" show next season.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That's what happens when a show's on 16 years. They run the heck out of ideas, copy themselves, and the show's quality sinks from being on too long.
HOW many years have I been saying this now?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
  • Turning one character into the creator's pet. Mark my words, it's going to be the "Let's be as good as Sue Ellen" show next season.
Y'know, I actually recently read somewhere (forget where though) that the character of Sue Ellen was based on a girl that Marc Brown had a crush on as a boy, so that could have something to do with it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've been saying that about a number of shows
As I've always said...

• You can't have a long runner
  • You can't have anything new
  • And it's a travesty when any show gets canceled
Basically... you can't win anyway, and we can't have nice things.

Y'know, I actually recently read somewhere (forget where though) that the character of Sue Ellen was based on a girl that Marc Brown had a crush on as a boy, so that could have something to do with it.
I don't know how much clout he has over single episodes of the show. He seems to be involved in some extent, but I doubt he's pushing characters for them to use. Seems like they got someone on board (much like the Simpsons) who somehow sympathizes with Sue Ellen and wants to express that by using the character as much as possible... but that's a wild guess, since the credits didn't come out yet of who wrote what episode.

You know If I wrote the series, it would almost immediately focus on Buster and Binky.

Still, I HATE when they have to make a character a Vegetarian. And not like those one off gags where a Shark or Crocodile eats a main character and spits them out and says "I'm a Vegetarian." I mean a big dramatic change where they have to use the character to push some agenda by one of the writers. I did like the episode where Lisa turned into one, but then they lost the whole message of "We'll be tolerant to you if you're tolerant to us." That said, I like how they did it much more subtly with Beast Boy in Teen Titans, getting into fights with Cyborg and saying "DUDE! I was some of those animals!" I just hope with this Arthur episode it's a matter of (quoting Raven from said Teen Titans) "I respect you don't eat meat. Please respect I don't eat fake meat."

mostlikemokey

Reaction score
Oh no! They canceled Word Girl? That was one of the only good shows left on PBS.
* cries*

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't know if they've officially cancelled it. I saw it on the show's wiki... I dunno how official that news was. Knowing PBS, they'll rerun it for years after... but I'm just ticked there isn't going to be another Learnerer episode and they're not going to give Birthday Girl an origin.

mostlikemokey

Reaction score
Personally, I'm going to miss the guy in charge of screaming, "Help!" when Word Girl needs to be alerted. The one with the glasses and the really shaky voice.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Even though Season 17 hasn't even aired yet, some seem to be speculating that Season 18 may, perhaps, finally be the final season... nothing's been confirmed yet.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Another preview of one of the big anti-bullying episodes this season:

I'm sorry, but Slink seems out of place as a Tough Customer... he wasn't even a Tough Customer to begin with, I don't know why they suddenly just threw him into the mix. And what happened to that other Tough Customer? The brown dog, I think he wore an orange shirt with the sleeves torn off.