Articulated hands

Karrion

Reaction score
Does anyone make cable controled hands? I learned a fairly simple method using poly tubing. I thought I'd give it a try.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Grant Harding (I can't remember his handle here on MC) has done a really cool, really simple articulated hand. There is a post about it here somewhere if you want to do some searching and the video is online at http://www.youtube.com/?v=1Dz3bhDwwKQ

There's also diagrams for a decent cable controlled hand made using toggle bolts at http://www.clevelandfx.com/crazylou/tutorials/hand.htm (he's also got a eye design on that site people might want to check out if they're interested).

Karrion

Reaction score
The one in the vid is interesting. The other one seems like it'd be super heavy. That's a lot of steel in there.
I'm going to try a quicky hand based off of the info i have. I'll shoot some picture as I go. The basic system is polypropelyne(sp?) tube. This forms both the 'bones' and the joints. The tube is cut to almost the length of ther hand and finger. At each joint a half circle chunk is removed from the tube about 1/3 the way through on the side you want the finder to bend. Cleaner the better I understand. I'm figuring on using a dremel with the little drum sander bit. Fishing line it run up inside the tube an secured to the tip of the finger.

Phantom

Reaction score
There's actually some fishing line made from Kevlar that's available. It's super strong and thin as compared to equivalent monofilament. (65lb test is about the same as 4-6lb test monofilament) You have to cut it with and exacto or razor blade...scissors won't do it.

Iokitek

Reaction score
I made one of those hands once. I wanted to make a full gorilla suit. But it needed longer arms so I thought it would be fun to make some huge hands out of rubber tubing. It worked great but I never made the suit.