Artistic Suffocation

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Artistic suffocation: It's a phrase I use sometimes as living in Memphis there's no real/serious outlet for cartooning and puppetry.

Are those styles of art better accepted in other regions of the country than others? I know that Atlanta, GA, has their Center for Puppetry Arts (?) and there are puppetry festivals all around in different regions; also, there are comics conventions all around (and my friends and I are developing one for this fall).

Or, is it an excuse? Is that term I created an excuse since there IS the internet to produce for?

Do you suffer from it because your family may not be fully supportive, or is it something someone suffers from because they are psychologically afraid of success?

The last question refers to a guy who answered an advertisement to be in a blues band I was forming as drummer saying, "We can all get together and jam at my place, man! I have a soundproof room out back and everything!" Then, when I got the 9-piece ensemble together and sent out the phone list to everyone and directions to his place he backed out saying, "I didn't know how many folks there would be?" I said, "Dude, you thought it would only be drums and harmonica? Or are you afraid to succeed in something you're good at?" He hung up on me, no answer.

So, what do you think? Are we artistically suffocated by our region, our family, or ourselves?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I know how you feel Fozzie! I hate having to leave...well...the same state, but on the opposite side just so I can go to an art college. I'm going to have to go to SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design) just because they're the closest art college around. Well, there's Watkins College in Nashville, but apparently they don't offer what I "need" to know my cartooning. I just hate you leave you know? I've lived in ********* all my life...it's home! I love it here! Plus you know how hot it gets in Savannah? You guys know how much I can't tolerate heat! My mom does have a perk about it though, as Savannah is where her favorite TV chef lives.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I'm selfishly on the other end of the spectrum. Where you use the term "artistic suffocation", here in NY and NJ, I use the term "artistic saturation". There are so many outlets for art and theatre here that; while there's always opportunity to develop, learn and express these artforms; there are very few positions available to make a living at them. The area is so heavily saturated in the arts that standing out is very very difficult. I made a living doing freelance work for three years, but the comfort I have now in holding a position at work is so much more satisfying and less stressful.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
That raises a good question, Vic.

While I feel suffocated for no outlets, how do the rest of you feel for there being too many outlets?

Barry Lee

Reaction score
There is NOTHING here for cartooning, which upsets me deeply. I am planning to go to SCAD, I visited there a few months ago and fell in love with the school, that's my goal to get there. And D'Snowth, stop wining about Savannah College of Art & Design man, there's plenty other colleges but it's a great college man... :smile:

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Also, I just re-read your reply D'Snowth, and you know, we all have to move on, we all have to get out of home, we can't be close to home, it might be hard but that's life, and sometimes you have to sacrifice what you love (like your home) for your dream.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
That raises a good question, Vic.

While I feel suffocated for no outlets, how do the rest of you feel for there being too many outlets?
It's wonderful. You're always a hop skip or jump away from being greatly entertained. Having so many artists of all genres, you're subjected to some of the best in the bussiness, and it attracts outside artists as well from all around the world. In the summer there are always outdoor concerts, art shows and street performances EVERYWHERE. It makes for a very colorful and exciting atmosphere. There are many times though where you'll see a spectacular performance and think; "Gees, I should be doing that." When it comes to performances and shows, artists of genres are thrilled to talk and share with you, but there is a limit, it is how many people put bread on the table, so while there's always an outlet, it's not always a paying or high paying opportunity.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Jack of all trades, master of none

I think sometimes people who are artistically inclined have trouble deciding on a single thing that they want to pursue. I have a friend who does beautiful mosaic work, but often laments the lack of time for drawing, or who writes beautiful poems on ther lunch hour and bemoans the lack of time for writing stories.
I often feel pulled in more than one direction artistically. This summer I played a principle role in an amatuer theatre production and was one of the major costumers for the 30+ cast. I literally sewed costumes between rehearsal scenes and actually did costume repair/tweaking during intermission at three different performances. Was I in heaven? YES! Miserable? YES! And none of that helped me finish writing the great Americian novel.
Most creative people I know are artistic in more than one way--whether or not they are working (i.e. gainfully employed, for pay or notoriety) in their field of interest.
Do you find this to be true for you, fellow creative folk?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Well, we can't forget George Burns' famous quote: "I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate."

When I read this:
Was I in heaven? YES! Miserable? YES!
Do we suffer for our art? I know I do. I spend more doggoned money on my production work and never get anything accomplished, it seems. I sacrifice both time and effort, but I sooner or later get there.

What do you all think? Does that same thing affect/effect you?