Asian Eyes

Phantom

Reaction score
Any suggestions?

I was looking at spoons on a slant, but I just don't like it. The closest thing so far is a half "tear drop" shape out of a black foamie, but this seems "too stereotypical".

SesameKermie

Reaction score
Puppet Planet has a tutorial on making muppet style eyes. Perhaps you could combine that with the slanted spoon idea and cut a curl out of foam to be like the eyeliner at the corner of the eye, cleopatra style. I think that's what they did for Kiki from the Puzzle Place, who I think was supposed to be Asian.

Hope this helps.

Jason

Jenny

Reaction score
Hi :smile: Kiki was the Spanish girl, Julie ( I'm pretty sure) was the Aisian girl. Not that it is really important. When I was going to make a puppet, I found this interesting slanty shape that I thought about using for the eyes. It was a piece of plastic that was in a video game controller package, I think.

Melonpool

Reaction score
What if you got some of those little black plastic oval nose things they sell at the craft stores? They have a post and everything. If you got two that were about 3/4 inch long and put them on at an angle, that might work. You could even paint them white if you wanted and add pupils.

More of an idea than anything else. They also make oval-shaped buttons.

Steve

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
The illusion of "Asian eyes" can be created through careful eye placement and the shape of eyebrows. You really have to be careful not to caricature too much, as some people can find that offensive.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
Sound interesting. I would imagine you would have to be extremely careful when creating puppets of different nationalities, you might mean totally no harm with it but theres people that go a bit far with racism even when someone isnt trying to be racist.

When I saw this post I thought I'd better have a look at it as it sounds interesting, I thought it could have been a bad post! lol.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
I havent seen it! I was just thinking if someone had an asian background and made puppets of typical Australian or american people it wouldnt seem offensive at all so shouldnt be if its the other way round.

Iokitek

Reaction score
Sometimes when people are offended it doesn't mean that they have anything to be offended about. It's just nitpcking. I wouldn't make it my problem if I don't see what's offensive about it. It's their problem then.