Ask the fuzzy old coot something while he's still awake

Old Thunder

Reaction score
I'd give Animal Farm the nod over 1984, for the creation of this line:

We are all created equally, but some are more "equal" than others.
I prefer Animal Farm too. Such an involving book 1984 is good, but I can't say I appreciate the slowness as much as some. Animal Farm I've read at least thrice and will probably do it again in future.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
It sadly looks like this is a skit we'll have to rely on Sesame Workshop to upload. But yeah. I already imagined the troll had Jim's Dr. Teeth voice.
I can say this much about the skit, if the English version ever surfaces.
Frank was Red Riding Hood.
Jerry was the mother, the bird, and the old man (who I completely forgot about)
Jim was the troll and Prince Charming (Guy Smiley with a generous dab of Bryllcreem)
Joe Raposo played the background music on a celesta (a cross between a piano and chimes)
Season 2 or 3, not in rotation much past that.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
@Old Thunder on the subject of Beatle records up to Rubber Soul:
It's amazing how good any of them are, considering how little time they got to spend making them.
Cranking out two LP's a year (the later one so they have a product for the Christmas rush) was a grind.

But in spite of unbelievable pressure, each album was good, if not great. At least good. Two days to record twelve new songs. Was incredible.
Starting with Rubber Soul, and continuing after they quit touring, they really showed what they can do in the studio.

Ironically, they were making better records, their live act went downhill. It was frustrating that whenever they played live, they got drowned out by screams. And all they had were the puny Vox amps. Fine in the studio, but weak against 60,000 screaming girls. And Marshall stacks were not perfected yet.

Some live bootlegs were okay, some of them were garbage. Just as well they couldn't hear themselves.

I rate Hard Day's Night pretty high, first album of all originals.
Yellow Submarine excellent film, but the songs were rejects from sessions they really didn't care about.

Sgt. Pepper vs White Album: Pepper had some mediocre songs, but fit together in a seamless package. White Album had better songs, but no flow to it. And rather than being a group effort, it was John songs, Paul songs, George songs, etc. And from Pepper onward, John didn't even play on George's songs. Piggies, While My Guitar, Something, etc. were pretty much done by the other three while John and Yoko stared at each other.

Let it Be- I have a number of bootlegs which were pretty decent. long and Winding Road without being buried under Spector's Wall of Sound is pretty good. But again, hard to make good music when everybody is getting on everybody's nerves. George quit halfway through. But the rooftop gig showed some strong moments.

Abbey Road- very close call with Revolver. But both are as close to perfection as you can get.
13 albums in seven years. Good work ethic.

Last edited:

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
I prefer Animal Farm too. Such an involving book 1984 is good, but I can't say I appreciate the slowness as much as some. Animal Farm I've read at least thrice and will probably do it again in future.
Have you seen the 90s version of the movie?

fuzzygobo

Reaction score

This is up on YouTube if you haven't already seen it.... Unfortunately, it's not in English.

But yeah, I thought he also looked like Mahna Mahna/Bip Bippadotta in his orange days.
Okay, yes. The Girl, the Tree, and the Terrible Troll. I was surprised it was as late as Season 4, but how much do you remember from when you were five?
Overdubs in any language, although serviceable, really can't compare to the vocal inflections of Jim, Frank, and Jerry.
Still, the colors are sharp.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Time for some music questions.

1. Besides The Beatles, what other bands do you like?

2. Instruments you would like to learn how to play?

3. Instruments you have played or play?

4. What was your class song?

5. Favorite songs from your favorite year of your life?

Old Thunder

Reaction score
@Old Thunder on the subject of Beatle records up to Rubber Soul:
It's amazing how good any of them are, considering how little time they got to spend making them.
Cranking out two LP's a year (the later one so they have a product for the Christmas rush) was a grind.

But in spite of unbelievable pressure, each album was good, if not great. At least good. Two days to record twelve new songs. Was incredible.
Starting with Rubber Soul, and continuing after they quit touring, they really showed what they can do in the studio.
This is very true. The Beatles - like Death and Iron Maiden :3 - never actually made a bad album. It's just a matter of which one you like better.

I rate Hard Day's Night pretty high, first album of all originals.
Yellow Submarine excellent film, but the songs were rejects from sessions they really didn't care about.
For me, personally, despite that fact, there are two bona fide classics on it - Only A Northern Song and Hey Bulldog are incredible, the latter of which has always been in my personal Top 10 from them. Sometimes throwaway cuts are better than the rest.

Sgt. Pepper vs White Album: Pepper had some mediocre songs, but fit together in a seamless package. White Album had better songs, but no flow to it. And rather than being a group effort, it was John songs, Paul songs, George songs, etc. And from Pepper onward, John didn't even play on George's songs. Piggies, While My Guitar, Something, etc. were pretty much done by the other three while John and Yoko stared at each other.
I kinda disagree here. IMO both had great flow. The difference obviously is that one had a lot of band effort into it and the other was mainly solo efforts done as a band. Which gives Sgt. Pepper a typical album feel and the White Album a fractured album feel - and I kinda think it makes for a better record that way.

But of course, Abbey Road, when they finally decided to do one last effort not at each others' throats before throwing in the towel, is one of the greatest albums in music history for that very reason.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
This is very true. The Beatles - like Death and Iron Maiden :3 - never actually made a bad album. It's just a matter of which one you like better.

For me, personally, despite that fact, there are two bona fide classics on it - Only A Northern Song and Hey Bulldog are incredible, the latter of which has always been in my personal Top 10 from them. Sometimes throwaway cuts are better than the rest.

I kinda disagree here. IMO both had great flow. The difference obviously is that one had a lot of band effort into it and the other was mainly solo efforts done as a band. Which gives Sgt. Pepper a typical album feel and the White Album a fractured album feel - and I kinda think it makes for a better record that way.

But of course, Abbey Road, when they finally decided to do one last effort not at each others' throats before throwing in the towel, is one of the greatest albums in music history for that very reason.
Hey Bulldog, Northern Song, and It's All Too Much were fantastic. And I dug George Martin's score on the other side. But All Together Now...lame.

George actually wasn't too happy with Pepper because there wasn't much for him to do. It was mostly Paul's trip.
Only A Northern Song was supposed to go between Fixing A Hole and Mr. Kite. But got ditched for She's Leaving Home, which I never liked.
John, despite his contributions, dissed Pepper til his dying day. Paul's trip. Ever see pictures of him during the sessions? His eyes look like dead fish. Took more acid than Syd Barrett.