Attention Chris Farley Fans!

Frogster

Reaction score
I just found out today that they are going to make a 10th Anniversary DVD of Tommy Boy, with a second disc labeled "Holy Shnikes!" which has two hours of footage of the greatest comedian Chris Farley doing what he did best; making us laugh. I can't wait to see it!
I remember being ten years old, going with my Dad and brother to see Tommy Boy for the first time. Even at a young age, I knew who Chris Farley was. I was already a big fan of him from SNL, and the first sketch I had ever seen of him was on the Sally Field episode where he played a "Motivational Santa" in front of a bunch of kids at the mall...

"T'was the night before Christmas
And all through the van
Your old buddy Matt
Fell asleep on the can!

"His children were asleep,
Two timezones away
With his ex-wife and her husband
In sunny L.A.

Matt woke up Christmas morning,
And realized with a chill and a quiver,
That he was livin'
In a van down by the river!"

Chris Farley had such a huge impact on my life, and he was such a big part of my life. To me, he had such a huge impact on the audience that, whenever you saw him walk on stage, you just started laughing, cuz you knew you were going to laugh when the sketch was over because of him. I was wanting to know if you people wanted to list your favorite Chris Farley moment, whether from SNL or his movies, in memory of the best comedian ever. I'll tell ya what, I sure do miss him.

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Best PHYSICAL comedian, maybe. I've never really understood why people call him a genius. That somewhat changed when I recently saw the 1997 SNL episode he hosted. It was clear that he was on his way out - he always spoke in a roaring voice, and he milked each performance for all it was worth - which explains why the loser idiots at my high school seemed to idolize him.

It was a good episode, but I didn't find it as funny as I thought I would. Maybe the fact that this was to be his last SNL appearance kind of ruined it for me - either that, or reading/hearing about what a junkie he was. (One of my former social skills assistants told me he used to give tours in Hollywood, and that he caught a glimpse of Farley in a rehab clinic.)

Then, towards the end of the episode, there was a sketch where he played Hank Williams Jr. His character gives a moving speech which I think represents the impact he's had on his fans (including Luke):

"Listen, man.. I sing music for working people. I know it ain't the most sophisticated stuff in the world, but.. it comes from the heart. ... We must look pretty ridiculous to you folks. The truth is, people like us don't have many role models. My career's important to many people. ... That's all I'm tryin' to do, in my own kinda awkward way is.. bring people together."

Replace "sing music" with "do crazy stunts" and I think you get the idea.

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
I don't think Boober Gorg is hating Chris Farley with that post. All that is being said is that Boober Gorg does not think Chris Farley is as great as people make him out to be, and I agree. Was he funny? Yes. I'm one of the few people I know who would voluntarily watch Almost Heroes. However, his act, though rowdy and rambunctious, did get stale after a while because it never seemed to evolve.

As for his addictions, what can anyone say about that? He was a hard partyer and his body couldn't handle it. I was not surprised when I learned he had died. When a person is as big as he is and lives the way he lived, it means big trouble. I was sad when he died, but it wasn't as shocking as Phil Hartman's death. All anyone can hope is that maybe someone learned from Chris' mistake and will choose to refrain from drugs and excessive alcohol consumption.

The Tommy Boy special edition DVD doesn't sound like a bad idea, though. I like that the second disk will have that bonus footage. Movies would have been Chris' chance to really shine. The few that he did (Beverly Hills Ninja, Tommy Boy, Almost Heroes, Black Sheep), he always played a bumbling, accident prone idiot. However, it was the sweet demeanor and desire to do good for others that would have been his answer to success. Adam Sandler found the niche and now he's a bonified A-list movie star.

There is no doubt that many comedy fans love Chris Farley and his work, and that he will always be remembered.

Mandie

Reaction score
I love Chris Farley I was heartbroken when he died I remember that day very well, I got home from the mall with my dad and I saw it on "Inside Edition"

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Chris Farely was a funny guy. He was great in Tommy Boy along side with David Spade. He was also good on SNL. But he did get kind of old after awhile. However, I think he would have been one of the top comedians today if he actually stopped with the drugs and all. He, like John Belushi, would have been great if they stopped with all the junk they were doing.

ryan

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
ryhoyarbie said:
Chris Farely was a funny guy. He was great in Tommy Boy along side with David Spade. He was also good on SNL. But he did get kind of old after awhile. However, I think he would have been one of the top comedians today if he actually stopped with the drugs and all. He, like John Belushi, would have been great if they stopped with all the junk they were doing.

ryan

Here here!

Or is it hear hear?

Or is it hear here?

Either way, I agree with you.