ATTENTION Fan Artists!

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Hello fellow fan artists! I am a big supporter of fan art at MC and all of your works inspire and intrigue me, and it's because of this that I'd like to invite you to help me with a project that we can call "our own".

What I'm proposing is a group shot of us, so to speak, each with our own Muppet. In other words, each of you fan artists would pick a Muppet of your choice (first come first serve on this one so we don't have a thousand Kermits, Gobos or Big Birds!), and then you would each draw and color a self portrait with your Muppet and I would then encorporate all of us into a group shot to display as one of my weekly creative visuals titled "The Art of Muppet Central".

So here's the deal, first let me know if you are interested or not via PM along with which Muppet you want to pose with. Then begin drawing your full bodied self portrait along with your Muppet. Create them in your usual or favorite medium and be as creative as you want. Stand next to your Muppet, hold them, have them hold you, do whatever you want! Then send your images to me at standard web resolution (72dpi) as a standard RGB jpeg or if you color or draw digitally, I can accept PSD files as well. The physical image size shouldn't be taller then about 1024 pixels (10.5 inches) and include your approximate real life height so that we're "to scale".

Please leave the background white (or if you're Photoshop buffs, leave 'em transparent). The idea of this is to show a family within the family of Muppet Central, and that we as artists support eachother's gifts and abilities.
Please respond by December 31, 2005 if you are interested. All artwork will then be due by January 31, 2006. I've already PM'd many of our fan artists here, and we'll use this thread as updates of who's available for this project and which Muppets they've selected.

I think this will be a fun project for all of us to work on, as well as an inspiration for more artists to jump on board.

Dave:smile:

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Excellent; the project has only been announced and already :sing: & :concern: have been claimed! Get in on it, this is gonna' rock hard.

F

furryredmonster

Oh... I can not wait to see all the drawings. I hope someone draws Elmo. I would if I could draw :smirk:

Vic Romano

Reaction score
All right! Response is going even better then I thought it would! We have Muppets going like crazy, so hurry! The following have been claimed:
  1. The Great Gonzo
  2. Floyd Pepper
  3. Rowlf the Dog
  4. Animal
  5. and possibly a Penguin

Just to clarify; here are some more specific details about the project:
Any Jim Henson character is up for grabs!
Whether they're from The Muppet Show, Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock, The Jim Henson Hour, Bear In The Big Blue House, The Dark Crystal, Labrynth, The Ghost of Faffner Hall... if Jim did it, that character can appear with you, but it must be a Henson creation; no puppets of your own or other productions.
You have full creative liscense!
Neither you nor your Muppets have to look exactly like the real thing. Whether it's a caricature, realistic illustration, anime, cartoon, comic style, whatever! I'd like to reference my Anime Muppets as an example; they're clearly Muppets, but with my own twist to it. While it's not a rule, I'd suggest though that both you and your Muppet are in the same distiguishable style.
Be obscure if you like!
Your Muppet does not have to be a "standard" Muppet, although there's no shame in that either (as I plan on having a "standard" myself). One PM asked about a dragon Muppet, why not the dragon puppet from "The Monster Maker"? I'd suggest a Muppet you're comfortable drawing, one you've drawn before or known for drawing (I'd give examples but the ones who are coming to mind haven't signed on yet!:smirk: <- hint), as well as one that fits your personality.
Don't let the deadline fool you!
December's a LOT closer then you think, so don't procrastinate. The sooner the artwork is selected and completed; the "big picture" can come together quickly. I'll update those who have selected Muppets and signed on with who's got what, otherwise (until we may decide otherwise) we'll keep who's doing what and in some cases who's signed on a secret.:wink:

This is gonna' be a fun and great project and I can't wait until next year to see the final piece! YAY!!!:excited:

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
Cool, thanks for clearing that up (about the style).

And yeah, I'm really big into procrastination. Expect my submission at exactly 11:59:59 December 31st.

:smile:
Anthony

*kidding of course*

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Newest update:
  1. The Great Gonzo
  2. Floyd Pepper
  3. Rowlf the Dog
  4. Animal
  5. a Penguin
  6. possibly PePe
  7. Beaker
Also I thought I'd update with another twist/idea: If you'd like more then one Muppet, preferablly a well known group (i.e. :stick_out_tongue: & :frown: ) or Muppets that show up in groups (i.e. Rats, Penguins and Chickens) these characters can be done by several members. Once again, I'm really excited by the reaction to this thread AND I can tell all of you reading that the above characters have been selected by real worthy talent and you will all be very pleasantly surprised!:excited:

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
This is a cool idea Dave! I'm excited to see how it turns out. One question, is there any way to be involved if you're not much of an artist? Or would it matter if it's not totally professional looking work? Just curious, I think it's super cool but I can't draw real well! Either way, I think it's really going to be neat and I know there are some excellent artists out there who are going to make this rock!

Vic Romano

Reaction score
It's a fan art project, and while some artists may be more "skilled" or "experienced" in the field, the key thing is to remember it is fan art; i.e. - art is in the eye of the beholder, so don't think of your work as being bad compareitively to someone else's; it's just your unique approach to theirs. This project gives you some real exciting opportunities though;
One - You have the chance to collaberate with succesful artists who are in the "trade" in a project that you normally wouldn't have opportunity to do so! Without mentioning his name (yet), a particular artist has signed on who has been influencial to me (yes, he really has been influencial in encouraging different ink mediums to me) and I'm thrilled that I have the opportunity to work with him so to speak on this. Ah screw it; I'm talking about lowercasegods :zany:
Two - This project brings a sense of unity to the fray here at MC. It shows that fan art isn't a competition, but rather a family gathering in a sense. Art is not about who can draw and who can't; it's about expression and imagination. Your Muppet does not have to be an exact replica (although it should be recognizable :smirk: ) neither does your portrait have to be a perfect likeness! Create! If you've doodled a sketch of Kermit in your notebook, or painstakingly wood carved a silouette of Frank Oz and you're willing to post it on the web; do it here too. All I ask is that you put some effort into it and take it seriously.

UPDAT:
Artwork has already started to come in!!! Hurry and add your name and get started, this is gonna' be a great piece of artwork, I promise you that!