1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Authentic, Fully Licensed, Muppet Replicas Coming!

Discussion in 'Muppet Replicas' started by BigDumbWookiee, Oct 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. lowercasegods

lowercasegods Member

Back when I was in elementary school I wrote the Jim Henson company and asked them innocently enough if they had any old Muppets they were throwing out and if they'd mail me one.

What I got back was a very nice form letter stating that the Henson Company could not, for legal and copyright reasons, sells any puppets, new or used, or any patterns used towards their creation. Obviously I was disappointed.

So seeing as how they're now selling what appears to be a pretty good replica, it almost seems weird to me, like they've revoked their old copyright standards and practices. Of course, it's Diney now, not the Hensons, so I realize all bets are off.

But given that my interest in the Muppets is still as strong today as it was when I was ten, I'd obviously buy one of these Kermit copies if I had the cash.
  2. lowercasegods

lowercasegods Member

Actually, I'd like to retract that last statement.

For my birthday last month, my beloved fiance Laura bought me a mint condition, never-been-out-of-the-box Kermit doll circa 1981, the one with the Sesame Street News trenchcoat and fedora. I had that same doll back when I was seven, and it was my favorite toy ever. Sadly, the doll got wrecked and lost long ago. So having Laura find me a brand new one and repairing that broken part of my lost youth meant the world to me. So what I'm saying is, that Fisher Price Kermit doll means more to me than any dead-on replica ever could. So I guess I won't be buying it after all!:)
  3. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

OMG! Jay I had that same one! Actually I still do, but it's in rough condition. That is absolutely the best replica ever (except the hands of course). What a fantastic gift!!!
  4. rumtar_10165

rumtar_10165 New Member

years ago I made my frist muppet lookalike. It wa for a school project. aAnd I got an A++ for my Kermit in a tux. But unfotntely I had it damaged due to school bullies.
  5. lowercasegods

lowercasegods Member

Okay, I'm forming a possee to head out and kick the crap out of those Muppet-damaging bullies. Who's with me?
  6. wes

wes Active Member

Yea! lets Hot glue and Feather Them(Random Puppet builders joke):p :) :sleep:
  7. tomahawk

tomahawk Member

Who's damaging the Muppets?
  8. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

I'm on your side. Just that I know that I'll be buying all the replicas. That is if I have the cash too.
  9. lowercasegods

lowercasegods Member

Just read rumtar_10165's post, three before this one.
  10. rumtar_10165

rumtar_10165 New Member

I hate to say this but first not only they dammaged him they did others.
    and second it was 30 yrs ago when I was 10.
    but hey thanks for the back up, but it's 30 yrs too late.
  11. lowercasegods

lowercasegods Member

Oh well. If I ever get that ol' time machine up and running again, consider yourself avenged!
  12. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

We seem to be losing momentum with this thread.So to put it back on track, I found an article with pictures on some foreign forum www.collectiblez.nl Could it be Netherlands? Can anybody translate? Something about $199. Dont know how they could have a price when it is"still in the pre-production phase."Kermit looks uncomfortable with his leg in one pic!
  13. keithallison

keithallison New Member

I hate to sound negative... but I probably will. I wouldn't mind owning a kermit replica.. and a bunsen honeydew and an ernie.... The MR replica looks great except for the mouth... in the fornt-on pose, it looks goofy.... anyhoo, I can't believe that nobody in this thread mentioned the one true fact here. Once these go on sale, one or more people will buy a replica, grab the closest seam ripper and make replica replica's. You'll be able to buy them on ebay for $100. It's a cold hard fact that people nowadays do not respect copyright laws. Everything is fair game to them. THEY will do more damage to the muppets than MR or Disney will ever do. Oh.... and when they ripoff the patterns from the MR replica, they [the thieving scum] will make it into a workable puppet to sell on ebay as 'an authentic kermit replica puppet made from the original pattern'.... then people will buy it for $1200.
  14. Whatever

Whatever Active Member

Translation:
    The Muppet Show fans (verb)! Master Replicas comes with an exact copy of the original Kermit the Frog. The exact replica would from the original Henson. Growing release date, something 2006. the retail price lies at 199 dollars.

Sorry, I don't speak Dutch very well. In fact, I don't speak it at all really, but I can usually get the gist because it's similar to German.
  15. rumtar_10165

rumtar_10165 New Member

I agree to what you say there be fake muppets not original.
    I remember as a child what Jim Henson said in a book. Quote It's usally best to keep the muppets original. We frown on fakes and carbon copiesthe original is always the best but lets ask the important Question, did Henson and Walt disney give them permission?
  16. tomahawk

tomahawk Member

I would think that Disney would have to give them permission. It's under the Disney line that Master Replicas is producing. If you go to the website(Master Replicas) you''ll see the other Disney stuff they are doing.
  17. tomahawk

tomahawk Member

So I was looking at the new Toy Review magzine last night and they have a whole page dedicated to Master Replicas. They also had two new pictures of Kermit. They had him on a directors chair and a log. He looked really good. First off they said the paterns were based off of the poseur Muppets not on the actual Muppet puppets. They also said they were planning on releasing two a year. This year(2006)would be Kermit in the first quarter and Animal in the second half of the year.
  18. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

I wonder how folks feel about owning this as a fake Muppet that are for the changes in voice actors and performers for other Muppets? If you get what I mean there, the whole double-standard thing? Anybody fit that description? Just curious because...I'm...curious...
  19. muppetperson

Great!Does Kermit's mouth still have that down turned look or has it been revised?:)
  20. muppetperson

I have always wanted a Muppet to live with me.I could never get the actual thing,so this is the next best.I am against substitute performers but a lot of people are blaming this as a Disney thing.The Jim Henson company have done this.Miss Piggy for example was Richard Hunt for the first season of TMS.If you study who performs what characters,you will see that there is a Main performer,substitute performer and understudy for when the other two arent available.You will see different performers doing the character for different films.This was BEFORE the Disney takeover.Still dont like it.I guess now you can only be a fan of the character instead of both the character and Puppeteer because you wont be sure if it is the same.:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.