Avenue Q & puppet handling

buttons

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the correct forum but I am new to making/using puppets and I would adore if anyone could feed me some tips on how to use a puppet (like the ones in AQ--I have yet to learn puppet terminology). The reason? I am actually auditioning for Avenue Q in about two weeks or so, so if anyone could give me some pointers before the audition, which consists of cold readings and singing WITH using the puppets.

Sorry if that sounded confusing. Basically, any tips on how to make the puppet work?

Slackbot

Reaction score
Hints from a total amateur here...

Try getting a puppet with the same mechanics as the Avenue Q ones (mouth and arm rods) and just playing with it. get in front of a mirror and do stuff. Talk, lip-synch to a song, whatever, and keep your eyes on the puppet. Get the hang of putting your personality into the puppet. Get comfy with it. Work on lip-synch, so it actually looks like the puppet is speaking/singing. In particular, learn to open the mouth when it speaks rather than pinching the words out of the air, and keep the movement of the upper head to a minimum so the puppet doesn't jerk its head around and break eye contact while talking.

I found that it's fun to practice with a puppet by taking it out to meet people. I took my first puppet, Janken, to my sister's house and had him talk with my niece and nephew. I was afraid their dog would freak out, but apparently the smell of fur, fabric, and contact cement put him in the category of Uninteresting Things.

If you have a webcam, you might post a video of a practice session so others can offer tips on your technique.

Good luck!