Ballroom song.

NotAShrimp

Reaction score
Hello all. I've had trouble finding this tidbit of information. Is the song that is playing in the background of the ballroom scenes an actual classical piece or was it written for the show?

In either case what is it titled (if at all), who wrote it, and is a recording of it available somewhere?

I know I'm not much of a poster here, but I'd appreciate your help. Thanks!

Barry Lee

Reaction score
If you mean the at the dance skits? That music was made by Joe Raposo, it doesn't have a name nor is a classical peice.

NotAShrimp

Reaction score
Yes, I was referring to the dance skits. I see them more as Ballroom skits hence the reference. And I guess in retrospect "classical" wouldn't be a good definition of that type of music anyway. Perhaps Lawrence Welkesque would have been better. But besides that, Thank you Barry Lee. Do you (or anyone) know: Can a recording of this music or sheet music for this be purchased? Does it even exist outside of the actual skits?
As a seperate note, is Joe Raposo also the composer of the Swedish Chef intro music? And is this available outside the skit?

Barry Lee

Reaction score
NotAShrimp said:
Yes, I was referring to the dance skits. I see them more as Ballroom skits hence the reference. And I guess in retrospect "classical" wouldn't be a good definition of that type of music anyway. Perhaps Lawrence Welkesque would have been better. But besides that, Thank you Barry Lee. Do you (or anyone) know: Can a recording of this music or sheet music for this be purchased? Does it even exist outside of the actual skits?
As a seperate note, is Joe Raposo also the composer of the Swedish Chef intro music? And is this available outside the skit?
I dont think either compositions are available outside of the skits. Sorry, and I dont know if he did compose the Swedish Chef intro but I know that was also original. I'll look into it

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I don't think Joe Raposo wrote the opening Swedish Chef music. At the Dance premiered in The Muppet Show: Sex and Violence, where Joe Raposo wrote all of the music, but the Swedish Chef theme didn't.

The music in the At the Dance sketches was called At the Dance. That's how it is listed in albums such as The Mupopet Show 2 and Muppet Hits. I don't think there are any instrumental tracks without character dialogue available anywhere.

D

Dil

Two songs used in the At The Dance Sketches were sungable;
1. "Won't Somebody Dance With Me?" -- Gonzo
2. "I Won't Dance" -- Kermit & Piggy

NotAShrimp

Reaction score
So far this doesn't look good, but I'm really trying to get an instrumental version of either of these. Obviously the preference is to have is prerecorded, but its sounding like this doesn't exist. It would also be neat to see if sheet music exists for this too. Perhaps writing the artist (if they are still around) would be able to produce this, but I'd obviously be in need of whom that would be. Apart from wanting the music to be played (very possibly for the cake cutting at my wedding) I'm also just very curious. These tunes don't appear to ever be credited and they really helped define the show. I mean who doesn't know the Chef tune? And I'm sure we can all hum "At the Dance".

To Reply to Dil: I understand what you were stating, but my interest is in the instumental.

NotAShrimp

Reaction score
Anyone have suggestions (Who to PM/e-mail/where else to ask/look) to track down something physical (An audio recording, sheet music) for either of these pieces (other than THM Season 1 DVD)?
Even if I am unable to use either of these because the recordings don't exist etc, I'd still like to investigate getting as much information on the pieces as possible. I at least have a good start thanks to Barry Lee and minor Muppetz. I'm being a bit redundant, but these two pieces really helped define The Muppets for me and I have a great appreciation for them.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
I also remember hearing that they rewrote (or maybe just re-recorded) the "At the Ballroom" music for one of TMS seasons. I can't think where I saw that--I've read to many muppety books and websites--but I do remember that. One version is peppier.

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Well you are right Ruahnna, there have been many re-made. Such as the "At The Disco Dance" they made a disco version of it. And in the Carol Burnett episode they did a different version of the song as well. There are many others that have re-made versions too.