Banks extend EM.TV's "Junior loan" repayment term to end of May 2003

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
this is what eisner wants...he wants to wait as long as he can so the price can get at rock bottom...I would not be surprised if he turns around and buys them

Sarah

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
$70 million ain't cheap enough? It's better than the $200-250 million talked about two years ago.

And, from my standpoint, if it's just for the characters and library (if that's even an issue now), so be it. I'd rather have "Jim Henson Co." acquired, but EM.TV isn't even throwing in the Creature Shop, the division that makes the Henson company more than just "The Muppets."

I still "think" I don't "think" Disney will buy the Muppets. The last sentence of "final stages of negotiations" is still eating in my head.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
yeah, but eisner loves a deal....70 million? that's like us finding a $20 on the ground...he won't pass it up..he KNOWS the muppets can make money...he knows it...and he's itching to get them

he's just seeing how low it can go...he might eventually lose his chance, but i'd bet my boots he knows what exactly is going on

Sarah

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It's like a dance. It'll go back and forth until someone gets tired. Disney will come around. My money goes on that.

70 million dollars. That's like 5 Lizzie Maquire movies and a Max Keeble 2. :rolleyes: :grouchy:

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
as much as i don't want disney to own them *dodges muffins* i think they will end up buying them

Sarah

Luke

Reaction score
Actually if Disney can't get the deal they want from EMTV it wouldn't suprise me if they pulled out and didn't get the Muppets. We'll have to see.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
All Eisner needs to do once he gets them--if he gets them--is, at first, continue with the Muppet show for Fox that was announced last year, continue production on any other show Henson is working on or planning on (and their shows are mostly preschool anyway), and put the classic series and specials on TV. Just make the "Muppets" and "Jim Henson" brands active franchises again (and air those shows so I can RECORD them and have something new to watch!).

If you need to buy the licenses back instead of using the money for theme park rides, go ahead. Wanna wait 'til the Muppets ARE a successful brand again, just wait. Put a few walk-around characters around MV3D just to clarify the Muppet presence, do it. I haven't been to a Disney park in 12 years so, for right now, it wouldn't matter to me.

And keep the New York office open, screw the Chaplin lot (except the Kermit statue). The NY office to me is the physical symbol of Jim Henson Co. It has the mural, Jim worked there, it's got the Muppet wallpaper in the restrooms. If that's not that symbolism, I don't what is.

And that's my rant.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
does disney not see they could eaasily get 70 million back within 5 years (or less)

or any company for that matter.....

Sarah

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
People complain about what Disney did to the Pooh empire, but I have always enjoyed what they did. Sure, they've had that lack-luster Book of Pooh puppet show and the costume show in the 80s, but the animated TV and film projects are pretty darn good and Pooh would not be as popular as it is today if it weren't for Disney. I also think it's cool how Disney released merchandise with the original classic Pooh look. I know muffins might get thrown.

I disagree with Disney's approach to many things, but Henson's approach over the last decade has been scattered at best. As has been just stated, I hope they'd keep the Fox show in production. The fact is, that could go either way.

On the ABC front, Eisner has announced that he's making the network's success a top priority. They've made some baaaaad decisions this season. The inconsistent play of their new shows and premature yanking of them is one of the biggest causes. The churning out of cookie-cutter sitcoms is another. And now they are talking about killing The Practice. I think the monkeys are loose at that network. Sorry, rant over. Just illustrates that Fox is the better bet for a TV slot. They have a better track record even if it isn’t a glowing one. :zany: