Baseball 2006

Ziffel

Reaction score
Well the A's often get real hot after the All Star game.

Wow 9 in a row for the Phillies now, as they beat the Mets tonight.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Aaron Rowand had quite an amazing catch in centerfield last night for the Phillies. He ended up smashing into the fence and broke his nose. But he managed to hang on to the ball as he dropped to the ground. It's been submitted by several people on youtube.

Beakerfan

Reaction score
Aw, man! Just when I thought my A's were startin to perk up! They get clobbered 2-0 by none other than the Yankees!!!! Augh!

Ziffel

Reaction score
Well the Phillies continue to surprise. Swept three from the Reds at Cincinnati this weekend and have won 13 of their last 14 games.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Next up for the red-hot Phillies are my Milwaukee Brewers. The Brew Crew has been struggling of late with some injuries to starting pitchers so it looks pretty favorable for your Phillies. Let's hope the Crew can steal a few.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Yep, they battle each other this upcoming week. But during this weekend Philly was cheering for the Brew Crew, and was delighted that they took two of three from the Mets. Now the Phils trail NY by just a game.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Well the "red hot" Phillies are no longer that, thanks to a three game sweep at the hands of the Brew Crew.
And I'm glad to see that Barry Bonds still hasn't hit #714, though of course it's inevitable that he will eventually.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Go Brewers!!! They're a hard team to figure. They play great at home but really struggle on the road. Maybe that's due to their youth? I'm hoping for Ziffel's sake his Phillie's get hot again (maybe I shouldn't in case they are in a race with the Brew Crew for a wild card).

Maybe the ghost of Babe Ruth is haunting Barry Bonds. Hey, we can hope.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Someone at work today, in anger at the Brewers for sweeping Philly, referred to them as the Milwaukee SEWERS! But he said they look like they really have a good ball club this year and if they just had a couple more good pitchers they could really be there. Pitching seems to have been a chronic problem for that club. Not too many aces in their history.
Well I see interleague play is going on for this weekend with Philly vs. Boston and Milwaukee vs. Minnesota. It's kind of funny for Milwaukee because since they were in the American League not too long ago the "interleague" games for them are really teams they are long familiar with!

Ziffel

Reaction score
Well here we are at this thread 2 months later. :smile:

Well the Yankees and Red Sox are (as always!) in a battle for that division. Then we've got the surprise of 2006, the Detroit Tigers, still with the best record in the majors, maintaining a slight lead over last year's champion Chicago White Sox (and the surging Minnesota Twins). Can they hang on? I predict yes and also that they (the Tigers) win the World Series this year.

In the West of both leagues we've got a real toss up in the whole divisions. I predict San Diego and Oakland will be the winners there, though the Angels are HOT. I'd like to see the Texas Rangers pull it out since the last time they won a division was ..... never??

Rounding out the two other divisions, we've got the Mets sitting alone at top (but.... can those red hot Atlanta Braves come back YET AGAIN and take the division? I think the Mets will hang on, but considering the Braves have won 14 straight divison titles, I wouldn't count them out just yet. And of course, the Braves are right in the wild card race (just 4 games out). In the other division it looks like the St. Louis Cardinals again but they aren't having as dominate a season as they've had in recent years.

My World Series prediction at this point:

Mets vs. Tigers with Detroit winning