Batman Madness

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Something tells me those projects would be terrible no matter who starred in them. I'd say his rationalization is basically a personal interpretation of Batman, which is why this whole Affleck thing strikes a nerve. Other than that particular personal interpretation, I think he's onto something. I wonder how many of those lame petitions piled onto his inbox. I'd block them too.

Still, if anyone is upset about the choice, we all have to remember this is the studio's fault. If the studio holds this much sway in casting and film direction, I'd worry far more about the content of the movie than the actors in it. I see tell tale signs of Spider-Man 3 style shenanigans by the higher ups enforced on the film makers, who won't have too good a time writing the film, giving us a shoddy product and sinking the Superman film franchise they were so very careful to restart. It's one thing if MOS was a flop, but if the second one turns sourly into a toy commercial, they're going to destroy the franchise.

I'm not saying the movie's already doomed. It has some potential. But if the studio meddles with it, giving the film makers no reason to provide a quality script, they've done damage that can only be fixed by waiting another 4 years and trying another reboot then.
I can respect Oswalt's different point of view (even though I completely disagree with it), but not his eye-rolling hypocrisy. His statement wasn't profound or even clever. I expect better from such a funny guy. This was just old-fashioned Hollywood backslapping and a way to shoehorn himself into the hype with a hope that the favor will be returned down the line. It's really no big deal. His jabbering is just as silly as the rest of the noise. :stick_out_tongue:

My final thoughts on the casting controversy:
It's clear that most fans anticipated a more creative and thoughtful choice than Affleck. I did too! The decision was uninspired and it stinks of studio politics, but this is the direction that WB chose. It's now on their shoulders to make it a success. I like Batman more than I dislike Affleck so I really hope he pulls it off. My support is for Batman no matter who happens to playing him.​

The Bryan Cranston casting is a rumor. There's been no legit story about it. I'm a Breaking Bad fan, but I think that would be fairly uninspired too. I'd prefer a younger, more vital Luthor. A villain who seems like a savior. I see Lex as dashing, charismatic (and bald) entrepreneur who will point at the destruction Superman and Zod left in their wake in an effort to discredit his contribution to the world. They didn't adequately address that in the last film and the follow-up provides some great opportunities. Lexcorp could be the company to spearhead the rebuilding of Metropolis. In a way, this wouldn't be just Batman vs Superman. It will be Lex vs Superman too. Cranston is wonderful, but he's really none of those things and I don't think he should be typecast into this ill-fitting part. I doubt he'd be Snyder's choice, but anything is possible. :zany:

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Bryan Cranston casting is a rumor. There's been no legit story about it. I'm a Breaking Bad fan, but I think that would be fairly uninspired too. I'd prefer a younger, more vital Luthor. A villain who seems like a savior. I see Lex as dashing, charismatic (and bald) entrepreneur who will point at the destruction Superman and Zod left in their wake in an effort to discredit his contribution to the world. They didn't adequately address that in the last film and the follow-up provides some great opportunities. Lexcorp could be the company to spearhead the rebuilding of Metropolis. In a way, this wouldn't be just Batman vs Superman. It will be Lex vs Superman too. Cranston is wonderful, but he's really none of those things and I don't think he should be typecast into this ill-fitting part. I doubt he'd be Snyder's choice, but anything is possible. :zany:
It is? As long as we can get someone who can be a ruthless manipulative jerk. Like an unfunny, darker version of a character David Cross could play. I don't want to see cartoonish coward or Legion of Doom Luthor.

Meanwhile, Justin Timberlake weighed in and wants to be The Riddler...

In an interview with Fresh 102.7 in New York, Justin Timberlake weighed in on the Ben Affleck-as-Batman debate and threw his hat in the ring for a new take on one of Batman's iconic villains.
"I'll tell you the villain I want to play more than anything because I grew up loving Batman, funny enough, is the Riddler. The Riddler is my favorite villain," Timberlake said. "The Riddler was like a sociopath. He was proper crazy. So if I'm gonna play crazy, I wanna play proper crazy."
Ehhhhh... they've done worse... much, much worse...

Sounds and looks like he had a bad stroke.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
It is? As long as we can get someone who can be a ruthless manipulative jerk. Like an unfunny, darker version of a character David Cross could play. I don't want to see cartoonish coward or Legion of Doom Luthor.

Meanwhile, Justin Timberlake weighed in and wants to be The Riddler...

Ehhhhh... they've done worse... much, much worse...

Sounds and looks like he had a bad stroke.
Yeah, the Cranston thing keeps making headlines, but there's no report to support it. If you read through each actual article, they inform you that it's just speculation. WB has met with a lot of people and I'm sure Cranston was one of them. It's possible. Personally, I'd prefer a late 30's/early 40's actor to play Lex. Someone who might have to shave his head. I'm even open to colorblind casting here. Still, my preference would be someone like Michael Fassbender. He was originally on my list for Batman, but he'd play an even better Lex.

Too bad he'll be busy playing Magneto for the new X-Men movies. However, someone like him would be my ideal casting. Not Cranston.

I have yet to see a compelling film performance from Timberlake. He should keep working at it, but such an iconic role like the Riddler deserves a seasoned actor. Not a Timberlake or a cheesy Jim Carrey. Off the top of my head, Ben Whishaw, Ralph Feinnes, Clive Owen, Edward Norton, Jude Law or Adrien Brody come to mind. If they want currently hot "name brand" casting, Ryan Gosling, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and even Leonardo DiCaprio would probably do a good job. Just my two cents.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have yet to see a compelling film performance from Timberlake. He should keep working at it, but such an iconic role like the Riddler deserves a seasoned actor. Not a Timberlake or a cheesy Jim Carrey. Off the top of my head, Ben Whishaw, Ralph Feinnes, Clive Owen, Edward Norton, Jude Law or Adrien Brody come to mind. If they want currently hot "name brand" casting, Ryan Gosling, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and even Leonardo DiCaprio would probably do a good job. Just my two cents.
Timberlake works well as a comedian, I guess. In fact, I'd venture to say he was the only good thing about that Yogi movie. I was stunned by how good his BooBoo was. That's something to take out of context. I severely doubt wanting to play a part will get him anywhere. I heard that the guy who played Luthor on Smallville wants to audition to play Luthor again this time. Though, I'd like to see him as the other DC character he once performed, The Flash. Say, that's an idea... but first...

If they want a Riddler for any future project, I want to see something in the same vain as The Batman's interpretation. Say what you will about that show, but Robert Englund's performance as The Riddler eclipsed the Batman TAS interpretation of the character. I wanna see a completely unbalanced dark interpretation of the character. Sort of something akin to a Heath Ledger version of the Joker type interpretation, only completely obsessed with thinking everything's a huge game, and getting frustrated when he loses. I like the TDK movies and all, but we were robbed by not having a Riddler film. Mainly because Leo DiCaprio was unavailable.

As for the Flash... now that I think of it, WB is going about this all wrong. While a Superman/Batman film could be fun, they're suing Superman to sell Batman or Batman to sell Superman, when they should use Superman to sell a JLA member/DC character that can't really hold a film on his own. The Flash, Martian Manhunter... maybe use it as another go at Green Lantern (preferably John Stewart, rather than Hal Jordan this time).

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Timberlake works well as a comedian, I guess. In fact, I'd venture to say he was the only good thing about that Yogi movie. I was stunned by how good his BooBoo was. That's something to take out of context. I severely doubt wanting to play a part will get him anywhere. I heard that the guy who played Luthor on Smallville wants to audition to play Luthor again this time. Though, I'd like to see him as the other DC character he once performed, The Flash. Say, that's an idea... but first...

If they want a Riddler for any future project, I want to see something in the same vain as The Batman's interpretation. Say what you will about that show, but Robert Englund's performance as The Riddler eclipsed the Batman TAS interpretation of the character. I wanna see a completely unbalanced dark interpretation of the character. Sort of something akin to a Heath Ledger version of the Joker type interpretation, only completely obsessed with thinking everything's a huge game, and getting frustrated when he loses. I like the TDK movies and all, but we were robbed by not having a Riddler film. Mainly because Leo DiCaprio was unavailable.

As for the Flash... now that I think of it, WB is going about this all wrong. While a Superman/Batman film could be fun, they're suing Superman to sell Batman or Batman to sell Superman, when they should use Superman to sell a JLA member/DC character that can't really hold a film on his own. The Flash, Martian Manhunter... maybe use it as another go at Green Lantern (preferably John Stewart, rather than Hal Jordan this time).
A Flash television program is reportedly being developed for the 2014 CW television season. Like Arrow, it won't tie into any of the movies. I bet they'll use the Stewart Green Lantern in the future JLA film. It's the smart move.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Two more superhero castings have been announced since Affleck's Batman and both have received mostly raves. Bradley Cooper as Rocket Raccoon in Guardians of the Galaxy and James Spader as Ultron in Marvel's Avengers 2. These are minor characters compared to Batman, but it must be said that fanboys can be fair-minded and actually applaud casting choices.

Drtooth

Reaction score
One of these days, I'm going to break the caps lock button right off the computer keyboard. I'm sick of accidentally hitting it and erasing what I was about to say.

But yeah. Batman's a character close to people... Rocket Raccoon and Ultron... especially Rocket Raccoon are only for those serious comic reads to know about. Like I said before, Disney is not doing themselves any favors by putting Guardians of the Galaxy in August. It's bad enough being obscure obscure as it is. I remember when Rocket Raccoon was announced for the DLC content of some Capcom vs Marvel game, and Mega Man fans were livid they chose an obscure Marvel character over a famous Capcom character. Only GOTG mainstream media I've seen was an episode of the current Spider-Man cartoon, where Rocket was played by Billy West.

Personally, I'm looking forward to Vin Diesel as Groot.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
One of these days, I'm going to break the caps lock button right off the computer keyboard. I'm sick of accidentally hitting it and erasing what I was about to say.

But yeah. Batman's a character close to people... Rocket Raccoon and Ultron... especially Rocket Raccoon are only for those serious comic reads to know about. Like I said before, Disney is not doing themselves any favors by putting Guardians of the Galaxy in August. It's bad enough being obscure obscure as it is. I remember when Rocket Raccoon was announced for the DLC content of some Capcom vs Marvel game, and Mega Man fans were livid they chose an obscure Marvel character over a famous Capcom character. Only GOTG mainstream media I've seen was an episode of the current Spider-Man cartoon, where Rocket was played by Billy West.

Personally, I'm looking forward to Vin Diesel as Groot.
August, shmaugust. I think the release dates are beginning to matter less and less. Tentpole films can now fail in the prime of summer yet be successful at other times of the year without much competition. If the trailer kicks enough butt, people will see the film. August really is not a handicap. In fact, this last weekend in August is probably going to be a good time for movies. I think this is a non-issue.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You're right, of course... now you can't even trust July! I swear, Despicable Me 2 was the only successful film that month.

Certainly Disney is doing wise to distance GOTG from Spider-Man's second film. Yet, I think they're trying too hard to give Maleficent a cushy spot. Disney jut can't make a franchise film that isn't POTC. I heard about Maleficent, and all I can think of is Sorcerer's Apprentice. And I completely forgot about that until I saw a promotional poster for sale at an independently run video rental shop that's somehow still in business.

But I do agree, the release date of a film is no guarantee of its success... but August has never been kind to movies, at least in recent years. The best you can get is a sleeper hit with a low budget making slightly over its budget. Nothing opened in August above 40 million this year. Not really a good place to put a huge budget film. Even if it could work for big named Marvel character like Captain America or Iron Man, GOTG seems like a hard sell. Once it was announced and they announced a CGI talking Raccoon-like alien, Howard the Duck was on more than a few minds. Disney/Marvel is taking a HUGE risk with this one, even if it was its tentpole May movie.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
You're right, of course... now you can't even trust July! I swear, Despicable Me 2 was the only successful film that month.

Certainly Disney is doing wise to distance GOTG from Spider-Man's second film. Yet, I think they're trying too hard to give Maleficent a cushy spot. Disney jut can't make a franchise film that isn't POTC. I heard about Maleficent, and all I can think of is Sorcerer's Apprentice. And I completely forgot about that until I saw a promotional poster for sale at an independently run video rental shop that's somehow still in business.

But I do agree, the release date of a film is no guarantee of its success... but August has never been kind to movies, at least in recent years. The best you can get is a sleeper hit with a low budget making slightly over its budget. Nothing opened in August above 40 million this year. Not really a good place to put a huge budget film. Even if it could work for big named Marvel character like Captain America or Iron Man, GOTG seems like a hard sell. Once it was announced and they announced a CGI talking Raccoon-like alien, Howard the Duck was on more than a few minds. Disney/Marvel is taking a HUGE risk with this one, even if it was its tentpole May movie.
And boy did Despicable Me 2 do well! I didn't expect it to do quite that well. Good for them!

Considering no trailer has yet been released, I think it's too quick to judge Maleficent. It could go the successful way of Charlize Theron's Snow White & the Huntsman or it could tank like Julia Roberts' Mirror Mirror. I don't really see the connection with Sorcerer's Apprentice because that was a complete departure from the source material.

Guardians of the Galaxy has pluses and minuses. Even through it's comic book based, it's not well known. The talking tree is more problematic than the talking raccoon. Again, I don't really see this as anything near Howard the Duck. That was an ironic bit of slapstick rather than an epic superhero film. It really is all about pulling off the trailer. I think they can do it. We'll see. It really is a gamble. If successful this signifies to Disney that the Marvel brand is good for more than just the well-known icons like Iron Man and Captain America. They can branch out into 75 years of material while DC and WB make their billionth iteration of Batman.