1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Beaker in progress

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by Bear Man, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Bear Man

Bear Man Active Member

Beaker, based on a mailing tube wrapped with foam, in progress. Dyeing Antron to the right PMS colour for his skin tomorrow (thanks Rit dye doctor!). Thoughts?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. wulster

wulster Member

looking good m8

3. crazy chris

crazy chris Well-Known Member

Thats gonna look so good!! Great work!

4. Bear Man

Bear Man Active Member

Thanks guys.

Here's the next stage...just waiting for his hair fur to arrive
    [​IMG]

5. Muppetboy09

Muppetboy09 Well-Known Member

I want that Beaker...and Fozzie...and Kermit...nice job!

6. Bear Man

Bear Man Active Member

Thanks, Muppetboy09! Although the more I look at it, the more sure I am that his nose is the wrong colour. Oh well, it'll be easy enough to remove and re-dye the fleece

7. HunterPeeples

HunterPeeples New Member

Are you going to sell it?

8. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

Beaker's nose is light orange. Looks perfect to me. Fantastic job.:)

9. Bear Man

Bear Man Active Member

HunterPeeples - nope, this is just for my own enjoyment. Besides, Disney are notoriously fierce defenders of their copyrights and trademarks.

Muppetperson - thanks for the compliment! Beaker's nose colour does seem to change hue depending on what version of the puppet was in use, although I think my dissatisfaction with my version is with the intensity of the colour. Maybe it just needs to go for another, longer, swim in the dye bath!

10. FoxWorthy

FoxWorthy Active Member

I think it's looking great! I'm willing to get that the nose will look better to you once the hair is in place; it will make the nose 'pop'!!

I intend to make one too....if I can ever find the time. What's the mouthplate like?

11. Muppetlab

Muppetlab Well-Known Member

Love this! Good job :)

12. Bear Man

Bear Man Active Member

Thanks, Foxworthy. Mouthplate was pretty simple - just reasonably heavy-duty acrylic felt with a strip of gasket rubber on the lower jaw part to reinforce it and stop it stretching out of shape. I then put the red ultrasuede lining on top of that, and then a foam covering over the whole thing to give the fleece some support in the area of the head that was removed to allow the mouth room to hinge down.

Thanks, Muppetlab!

His lab coat arrived yesterday, but I'm still waiting for the fur I purchased for his hair to show up (tracking details show it's been in the country a week - Australia Post can be stupidly slow!)

FoxWorthy likes this.
  13. JammieJam

JammieJam New Member

He looks amazing, Bear Man! How will his mouth work? With a hand or a mechanism?

14. Bear Man

Bear Man Active Member

Just a hand, JammieJam

15. Bear Man

Bear Man Active Member

Fur for the hair has finally arrived. Next steps - attach it properly, and create his shirt.
    [​IMG]

FoxWorthy and HunterPeeples like this.
  16. HunterPeeples

HunterPeeples New Member

Is it a hand live style puppet?

17. Bear Man

Bear Man Active Member

Yes - at the moment there are some foam hands filling out the "gloves", however they are easily removed so that i can place my hands in the fleece. The arms of the lab coat need some further work - right now there's only a split in the seam near the elbow to allow my hand access to the fleece glove, I'm thinking I will just leave it like that since this will mostly be used as a poser rather than an actual puppet.

18. wulster

wulster Member

looking superb m8 well done.

19. FoxWorthy

FoxWorthy Active Member

Meep! Meep! Meeep! Meep! Meep! mep! mep! Meeeep!

:)

20. Bear Man

Bear Man Active Member

Thanks, wulster

Can anyone guess who's the next on my list?
    [​IMG]