1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Meet Julia
    Sesame Street's newest Muppet has autism. Meet Julia this Monday on HBO and PBS. Then discuss the anticipated episode with fans.

3. Sesame Street Season 47
    Sesame Street's 47th season officially began Saturday January 7 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Beaker in progress

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by Bear Man, Dec 5, 2015.

1. FoxWorthy

FoxWorthy Active Member

Piggy? Looks like a bottom jaw to me.

2. rowlfy662

rowlfy662 Active Member

That Beaker looks amazing & by looks of things your building a Bunsen to go along with him awesome :)

3. FoxWorthy

FoxWorthy Active Member

Oh yeah! LOL! Duh!! Silly me....*delete* ;)

4. Bear Man

Bear Man Active Member

Not Bunsen...
    [​IMG]

5. Muppetboy09

Muppetboy09 Well-Known Member

Swedish Chef? That lower lip is so distinguishable!

6. Bear Man

Bear Man Active Member

Yep - Chef's on his way!

7. Kermieuk

Kermieuk Well-Known Member

Great puppets. Could you tell me where you managed to find the long pile orange hair for Beaker?? I've spent hours looking??? :) many thanks.

8. Bear Man

Bear Man Active Member

Mendels. Orange Party Monster. I've actually just "rehaired" him, and would recommend giving the fur a boiling treatment briefly before yo use it...the fur as it is, is a little too wispy.

WhoseLineFan and Kermieuk like this.
  9. Bear Man

Bear Man Active Member

Finally got him finished…
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

How is Sweedy going?

WhoseLineFan likes this.
  11. Bear Man

Bear Man Active Member

Look! Over there! It's a clumsy attempt to distract you so I can avoid answering your question!

In all seriousness, he's been put on the back burner. Trying to work out exactly how the original Chef's mouth was constructed is not as easy as I'd thought it would be, and since I'd be looking to make him from fleece-covered patterned foam rather than flocked foam latex, there was the added challenge of coming up with the right mix of foam types and densities so that his face would move properly. He's still the next muppet I plan on replicating, but all that foam was getting very expensive!

muppetperson and WhoseLineFan like this.
  12. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

So, nothing cookin' ! :hungry: I guess that is why there is no Swedish Chef replicas around (that I know of). But I am sure you can do it, and look forward to one day seeing the finished product. Bunsen has the same style mouth. Maybe ditch the foam and look for a rubber basket ball as the skull. You could then make a slit mouth that would open and close. You would have to make an internal sleeve/grip to operate it. Then you have to find some kind of flexible fleece. Also, you would have to glue wadding onto the head to change the round shape.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    WhoseLineFan likes this.
  13. Bear Man

Bear Man Active Member

The problem is getting the right parts of the skull to flex - the chef's mouth looks like it moves from almost a horizontal slit to a diamond shape. As soon as you add his big lower lip, though, that reinforces the lower lip as a straight line and the mouth no longer wants to flex that way. Still, I'm reasonably sure I've thought through the solution, and with a combination of improved internal supports, a variety of foam types and a completely foam mouth plate, I'd be surprised if my solution failed. Now all I've gotta do is find the time to build it!

muppetperson likes this.
  14. muppetgem

muppetgem Active Member

Wow, looks amazing! :D