Beaker Mouth Mechanics

rtgentry

Reaction score
I am messing around with a very raw prototype beaker puppet that I have made from scratch. From what I can see in developing my own is that once you cut the mouth out of the tube you would need to build a thumb cup "INSIDE THE tube/mouth. Which I think would go inside the tube and then covered with the mouth/tounge lining, creating the thumb pocket.

The first time I did it I put the thumb cup outside the tube. BUT once you develop the neck sliding thingy your tube needs to be flat and that doesnt allow you to have your thumb cup on the outside.

I put a cross bar inside the head (cut dowl or pencil) that allows my fingers to grip and hold the puppet head in place.

rtgentry

Reaction score
The tube I am using is about 4" in diameter. Its actuall just two swiss miss hot chocolate can rigged together and covered in duct tape.:eek:

MuppetMazz

Reaction score
The Six Hundred Penny Lab Assistant....

Dr. Bob: He's dead
Bunsen: No. We can rebuild him.

MuppetBud

Reaction score
Hi,

Does any one have a diagram, or could explain in detail how the mechanics of beakers mouth and head operates? I have heard his head was made of cardboard shipping tubes. I have found what is called telescoping shipping tubes on the net for real cheap. I was wondering if someone here could tell me how his mouth works and how it would be mounted inside the tube. I am assuming beaker is a Rod puppet with live hands? The whole idea of this type of mouth and head movement has me stumped. I have done a search here on beaker, but not too many people have talked about that aspect of him.

Thanks Bryan

I've been working on a Beaker replica as of late... The head design is very simple as is the mouth mechanics. A 5" cardboard tube is used and the mouth is cute and hinged. I used a metal rod which I bent into a circle/ring in one end. This rod is attached to the hinged mouth with the ring at the bottom. A wooden dowel is attached inside for your fingers to grip and your thumb goes into the ring to work the mouth.

Muppetlab

Reaction score
I to am in the process of building a beaker replica at the moment. I have done some experimentation around the mouth mech and agree that keeping it simple works best.
The mouthplate is the same as a regular mouthplate.. Only vertical instead of horizontal.

Face Ache

Reaction score
I made a quick and not-overly-accurate Beaker a few years ago, and this was my mouth mechanism - the grey bit being coat hanger. No need to put your hand inside the head.