Beaker's language in the news

Kermieuk

Reaction score
This made the news here in the UK today on Heart FM.

Makes me laugh, Go Beaker!

Chris

Kye

Reaction score
Talking like Beaker will get you expelled!

Woah, I just saw this in the Online newspaper and NEEDED to share it with the Muppet Central world! :eek:
here is the original link...i cut and pasted below http://wbztv.com/local/meep.banned.danvers.2.1307139.html

Don't Say 'Meep' At Danvers High School
Join the Conversation: Principal Bans 'Meep'
Reporting
Christina Hager DANVERS (WBZ) ―

Beaker of the Muppet Show was known for saying 'meep'
Michael Loccisano/Getty Images

A new four-letter-word has some teenagers in Danvers afraid they might get their mouths washed out with soap.

The word is… meep.

Some say it was those pesky Muppets who started it.

Remember Beaker?

Some say it was the Road Runner.

It has no real meaning.

In fact, according to the Urban Dictionary, it's the most versatile word in the English language.

"It really has no meaning at all," said Danvers High student Taylor Allen.

"It can mean anything you really want it to mean," added her friend Stacey Cote.

But Danvers High School principal Thomas Murray doesn't care who started it, he just doesn't want to hear it on school grounds.

Murray called every student's home with an automated message and sent out a mass email banning the word from school.

"Please be advised that any student who has the letters 'meep' on their clothing or uses the words verbally will face suspension from school...the police are monitoring this situation as well."

The police? Really?

Students are using the word in all sorts of contexts with all sorts of meanings.

We asked if it was code for something menacing, but students said no.

"I think it's stupid to actually get suspended for saying meep," said student Mike Mazola.

Some say the students were using the word to taunt a specific teacher.

"Some kids would say it constantly," said student Kyle Sullivan.

"They would just walk by and just yell meep," said Allen.

"Whatever it means, must be pretty bad," said mother Stephanie Morrissey, who's told her daughter not to say it at school.

"If that word is off limits, then it is not to come out of her mouth."

WBZ tried to contact principal Murray to find out more about why he banned the word, but we did not hear back from him.

His letter said it was more about respect and appropriate conduct in school.

WBZ also reached out to the school commitee, the town administrator, and the superintendent of schools for comments, but all have refused.

What do you think?