*Beginers* - Eyes and Noses

GabeFirestone

Reaction score
Hey, everyone! I just wanted to help any beginers/intermediate-advanced puppet creators by listing some processes and materials that have been successful for me in creating noses, eyes, and other fatures:

Eyes:

MODEL MAGIC!!! It's a kind of solf, light-weight, air-drying clay that comes in many different colors, and is an easy to work. It's also not messy, and is non toxic. If you make round, flat, or whatever shaped eyes out of this, and then paint them, make sure to put a coat or two of varnish on them so they are shiny and don't crack! You can find this Model Magic at any craft store... :smile:

Also, you can use ping pong balls with painted/drawn-on pupils...

Black marbles work well, too! Just make a small incision in the face, and slip in the marble. You can add a drop of hot glue if needed.

Noses:

I make muppet-like noses (the round, Bert and Ernie kind...), and I've found that if you cut a circle of fleece, and do a running-stitch (up, down, up, down....) around the edge, it creates a draw-string effect. You can stuff this little "nose-bag", and then pull your thread tight. Using the same thread, stitch the bag shut, and then tie-off and cut your thread. This has been the best meathod I've found. Make sure to hide the "bad side" when you put the nose on.

I hope this helped people, because it helped me when I found/tried these processes. Now, maybe, you won't have to search all over the internet for these meathods! I'm only 14 years old, so I'm no expert, but for 5 the years I've been doing this, it's worked pretty well!

SesameKermie

Reaction score
Does the 'circle method' work for oval-/egg-shaped noses too? I've got a rabbit puppet with a nose like that and the nose just doesn't look right.

GabeFirestone

Reaction score
Yes, If you do the circle method with an oval-shaped piece of fleece, you should be able to get the same effect...

hope this helped! if anybody has any other tips that they know of about eyes, noses, mouths, and other "parts", please reply to this thread!

intozlight

Reaction score
I haven't heard it mentioned yet but Super Sculpy is a great material to use for noses, eyes and teeth. I can be sanded, painted and is pretty durable.
It also comes in colors and you can even embed a bolt for screw-on accessories.
I bakes in the oven and home and is very easy to work. It is especially wonderful if you want to make a large custom animal nose.
Most craft stores carry it.