Behold... the New Teen Titans Cartoon...

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Last episode I saw was the one where Raven's being all "nean" about Starfire marrying a bowl of spicy chili. If anything it was an excuse for another Trigon appearance given the father-daughter conflict they like to exploit.
But the tagline for this episode... "Have A Nice Day."
Does that make anyone else besides me want to scream it in an obnoxiousish voice before slamming the Titans with a barbwire-wrapped baseball bat? :grouchy:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Last episode I saw was the one where Raven's being all "nean" about Starfire marrying a bowl of spicy chili. If anything it was an excuse for another Trigon appearance given the father-daughter conflict they like to exploit.
I took the episode as self parody. It works much better on that level. After all, Raven is often times the only sane character in the show. Often times also the least terrible of the characters.

Meanwhile "I'm the Sauce" was done completely straight forward. It's just horrible.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
Am I the only one that thinks Silkie is adorable?

I mean come on, look at that thing. I just wanna hug it to death.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The St. Patrick's Day episode was once again the lame "Titans obsess over something stupid" type of plot (in this case, pinching others who don't wear green and teasing Robin over being a leprechaun) and them journeying to a magical land to resolve a conflict (in this case, taking some leprechaun gold to counter their bad luck).
I just got around to both that one and the Easter one, and all I can say is meh. Though I did like the call backs to Video Game References and Mask, the Sesame Street stoop cameo (with the skeletal remains of Oscar hanging out of the can) and the DBZ fight parody. And the Bad Luck song was actually catchy.

But the Easter one was just lame. I dug the bit at then end when it turned out Santa kidnapped all the other holidays, but even then it was like a minute before the end. The show's really gone downhill third season. There were a few good ones here and there, but it's just a formulaic mess now. I really wish they'd have someone on staff to write besides Ben Gruber. Seems like any episode he writes could have been for anything. There's nothing specifically Teen Titans-ish about them, and that's my new problem with the show. They're not using the TT characters to their potential. You could easily re-purpose these scripts for any comedy cartoon series. I really really miss them at least trolling the audience. I really wish they could get Amy Wolfram back to write some. At least she did something with the characters that was Teen Titansy.

mr3urious

Reaction score
But the Easter one was just lame. I dug the bit at then end when it turned out Santa kidnapped all the other holidays, but even then it was like a minute before the end.
And at least the Titans weren't A-holes to each other in this episode.

I really wish they'd have someone on staff to write besides Ben Gruber. Seems like any episode he writes could have been for anything.
Grube's episodes have indeed been the weakest in the show. Well, except for maybe the A-plot of "Nean", if only because of Trigon being Trigon.

The show's really gone downhill third season. There were a few good ones here and there, but it's just a formulaic mess now.
The best episodes this season so far have been "Leg Day" (I liked the parody of sentai/magical girl tropes in that one), "Fourth Wall" (Makes so much sense that Control Freak was behind this show), "Two-Parter" (Definitely a great use of DC's characters), and "Garage Sale" (The numerous callbacks to past episodes made that one shine). They utilized the wacky comedy format in a way that felt Titans-like, or at least superhero-like.

There's also an upcoming episode that seems to parody Batman v Superman, or at least tie into it, going by its title. Now that episode sounds promising.

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
The best episodes this season so far have been "Leg Day" (I liked the parody of sentai/magical girl tropes in that one), "Fourth Wall" (Makes so much sense that Control Freak was behind this show), "Two-Parter" (Definitely a great use of DC's characters), and "Garage Sale" (The numerous callbacks to past episodes made that one shine). They utilized the wacky comedy format in a way that felt Titans-like, or at least superhero-like.
While I'm usually not a fan of the "character gets obsessed with something" episodes, I also feel that 20 Percent (etc.) was a great episode if, for no other reason, the amazing visuals and stylized versions of the Titans.

And the Transformers reference. Of course the TF reference goes to the character who also plays Grimlock currently.

mr3urious

Reaction score
While I'm usually not a fan of the "character gets obsessed with something" episodes, I also feel that 20 Percent (etc.) was a great episode if, for no other reason, the amazing visuals and stylized versions of the Titans.
I know both of us have crapped on this show's animation in the past, but it can be really good when it wants to. The episode "Squash and Stretch" also made use of some nice cartoony animation, and I enjoyed the more detailed style of the "dark and edgy" Titans in "Let's Get Serious". Also, the chibi versions of the characters seen throughout the show (including the intro) have some buttery smooth motions that I wish were used in the main show, but it's most likely for scheduling reasons that it doesn't.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Upon watching a few episodes of Teen Titans Go, I agree that it's the worst show on Cartoon Network. I wasn't too worried about the new Powerpuff Girls show being bad,because I figured if the show stinks then the show will end and i'd never even have to think of the show ever again. It wouldn't change my love for the original show.

But then I realized, CN doesn't care if a show sucks or not, if Teen Titans Go is still going, then what's stopping the new PPG show from lasting even if it sucks.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I know both of us have crapped on this show's animation in the past, but it can be really good when it wants to. The episode "Squash and Stretch" also made use of some nice cartoony animation, and I enjoyed the more detailed style of the "dark and edgy" Titans in "Let's Get Serious". Also, the chibi versions of the characters seen throughout the show (including the intro) have some buttery smooth motions that I wish were used in the main show, but it's most likely for scheduling reasons that it doesn't.
I'm actually quite impressed with the animation. At least they got that right. The first couple of episodes were iffy, but they managed to give the look a nice level of flow to the movement. I was initially disappointed that they didn't give it the look and animation of the "new Teen Titans" DC shorts (but they didn't give it the sharp writing or charm either), but now I have to admit, look is one thing this show has going for it, especially episodes where you see alternate versions of the characters. Even like the Rob Liefeldian versions of the characters from Let's Get Serious episode. That was a nice little stab at 1990's Marvel. Again, those are the episodes they should be doing.

Upon watching a few episodes of Teen Titans Go, I agree that it's the worst show on Cartoon Network. I wasn't too worried about the new Powerpuff Girls show being bad,because I figured if the show stinks then the show will end and i'd never even have to think of the show ever again. It wouldn't change my love for the original show.
Kids apparently love TTG and it is cheap enough to produce. While I really dislike how they air it so many times a day I can see why they'd do that considering kids pretty much watch things On Demand or digital now. As for PPG, I'm waiting for the broadcast premiere, but it sounds like those who are most butthurt by the show are those who take it too seriously. I know someone who was really ticked off at it, yet defended the anime which...it just isn't good. It's completely different humor and it just lacks the charm of what made the show work, and considering how many Godzilla/Sentai homages (in tone and even pacing), you'd think a Japanese studio would pick up on that, but they just made a standard Magic Girl show with the character names slapped on them. Even the TMNT OVA's had more effort to capture some of what made that one special.

As for TTG being the worst... I'll agree that of the shows in production, it's easily my least favorite...but... I can't say it's CN's worst thing ever. I needn't name a certain monkey based show, but even TTG made me laugh on occasion. I find the cheaply thrown together Cookie Jar produced Johnny Tests a lot worse (TTG is far better for at least not making whip crack sound effects every time someone so much as moves slightly). The live action series I won't bother about. And even if I'm going to say TTG is not even the worst show currently on the network. That distinction belongs to reruns of Baby Looney Tunes. I mean, the only good thing about it is...well... at least Yo Yogi isn't the worst Spinoff Babies series there is as a result. Seriously...Baby Looney Tunes is my trigger. At least TTG, even at its worst, is not as mind obliterating and anger inducing as BLT.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
I really wish they'd have someone on staff to write besides Ben Gruber. Seems like any episode he writes could have been for anything.
To be fair, Gruber did write quite a few good episodes, like "Squash & Stretch" and "Secret Garden".

I really really miss them at least trolling the audience.
Well, the new April Fool's Day episode "Batman vs. Teen Titans: Dark Injustice", which aired tonight, did just that. :laugh:

Upon watching a few episodes of Teen Titans Go, I agree that it's the worst show on Cartoon Network.
No, it is not. I strongly disagree with you. The network has had worse shows like the live-action stuff.

While I'm not sure if it's a BRAND new one, but did you guys catch the "My Cousin Vinny" reference in one of the episodes recently? I had one of those..."You're not....you're really not..." moments. Raven's "New York Accent" however, actually made it quite funny. Good send up.
The episode you are referring to is a called "A Farce". Like Let's Get Serious, The Return of Slade and The Fourth Wall, it is another episode where the show makes fun of itself and deconstructs the often-destructive behaviors of the Titans with Brother Blood and the Brain taking them to court and putting them on trial for it. The Titans are found guilty at the end.

And at least the Titans weren't A-holes to each other in this episode.
I agree. I also feel that the Titans haven't been as A-holish to each other and everyone else in recent episodes as they were in past ones. They still get in on some of that from time to time, but it seems that that aspect has been getting toned down a bit.

I guess the events of "A Farce" have really been having a major effect on the series and causing the Titans to tone down their bad behaviors... :big_grin: