Behold... the New Teen Titans Cartoon...

mr3urious

Reaction score
TTG! is more or less a Flanderized version of the original TT cartoon and DC Nation shorts. At least with the comedy-focused shorts, it was kept to a short length, rather than stretched out to 11 minute episodes. The very choppy and not-easy-to-look-at Flash animation is also like a Flanderized version of the anime style of TT.

However, I admit to enjoying Raven trying to hide her love of watching "Pretty Pretty Pegasus" from the others in the premiere episode, since I know how some of us feel. Also a nice little unintentional Actor Allusion, as Tara Strong voice-acts on both this and MLP. Same goes for Starfire's literal interpretation of some of the festivities for Cyborg's birthday party in the 2nd ep. :big_grin:

mr3urious

Reaction score
Oh, and guess what studio is involved with the animation? A Canadian one (and one John Kricfalusi was involved with), which means more money-saving potential for WB! And their other Flash-animated works look much better, too!

http://copernicus.ca/deploy/

Drtooth

Reaction score
Actually, the animation was the only thing good about it. And by which, it's good for Flash. Pretty smooth, but not quite Foster's Home.

But for an actual review, you took the words right right out of my keyboard. The characters are flat. Really, really flat. And when the heck did Robin become so... completely out of character? Like, he was not Robin like at all. Even during the quiet moments when they aren't fighting anyone or dealing with issues of grave importance, Robin wasn't so... well... egotistical and jerky. And somehow, they completely forgot Beast Boy was a Vegan. Which is pretty much like forgetting Fozzie Bear tells jokes, since he brought it up quite often in the series. The whole sandwich guardian thing seemed like something out of something like Mucha Lucha or Viva Pinata. Some show that revels in it's stupidity. It couldn't even have fun with that.

I would have liked the Character voiced by Tara Strong being a closet fan of a show Tara Strong does a voice in if Tara Strong bothered to mention said show is not like that. They even blew an opportunity for a biting parody of that series by turning it into a generic Care Bearsy gag. Only thing I even thought remotely funny was the end of the pie episode, which had the potential to end with a creepy Ren and Stimpy-esque dark note, but they panicked and pulled back on it. Not even bothering with Negative continuity. Though the fridge horror of Cyborg and Beast Boy's pie fight was kinda fun. Essentially throwing around dead people.

To me, the real problem is this. It's quite obvious they wanted to make a Tiny Titans cartoon, not a Teen Titans series. it even looks a little like Tiny Titans. If they wanted a comedy superhero series, the show they should have tried doing was a Teen Titans version of Marvel Super Hero Squad. Don't make jokes about pies and sandwiches and foods with funny names. Make fun of your own continuity, and be very sharp about it. MSHS got away with turning Professor Xavier's School for Gifted Children into a stereotypical high school where they fought a villain dressed as a lunch lady. That's wacky and a fan bonus. Hopefully the tone will change to comedy with some action in it, but so far, it's just a series of flat jokes and flat characters.

They really should have been exactly like those shorts. Animation and continuity referencing. Seriously, this show is worse than Krypto the Superdog. At least it was fun some of the time.

mostlikemokey

Reaction score
I am a huge, huge, HUGE fan of the old TT show, and personally, it might be a better idea if people did not connect the two shows in their minds. They are very different shows, from the looks of it, and sticking them together like they share any kind of continuity will only make this new one that looked worse. I've seen a little, and I guess it's kind of funny, but it's nothing compared to the original.
[dr tooth said;] And when the heck did Robin become so... completely out of character? Like, he was not Robin like at all. Even during the quiet moments when they aren't fighting anyone or dealing with issues of grave importance, Robin wasn't so... well... egotistical and jerky. And somehow, they completely forgot Beast Boy was a Vegan. Which is pretty much like forgetting Fozzie Bear tells jokes, since he brought it up quite often in the series.
Could anybody see Robin waiting in line at the grocery store while everybody else was fighting crime? I mean really? It would have made more sense to have Beast Boy or Cyborg doing it, given their fixation with food. Seems to me that they're just not putting enough thought into this series right now. Maybe things will pick up, who knows?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I am a huge, huge, HUGE fan of the old TT show, and personally, it might be a better idea if people did not connect the two shows in their minds. They are very different shows, from the looks of it, and sticking them together like they share any kind of continuity will only make this new one that looked worse. I've seen a little, and I guess it's kind of funny, but it's nothing compared to the original.
Except that they keep saying this is for the fans of the old show, the fans of the old show are going to love it, they got the same voice actors involved, not the writers.... I swear the second episode was written by the voice actor of Ron Stoppable... it does seem like a bunch of bad jokes Ron would say to Kim, only for Kim to roll her eyes. But above all, even thinking of it as a comedy... it's just not funny. And I laugh at everything. I even can find humor in Johnny Test of all things (First season, anyway). I'm going to give the show a second chance, maybe the next episode will be funny. But , again, the writers should have taken a long, hard look at Marvel Super Hero Squad. THAT is a funny series that turns the characters into parodies of themselves, mocking everything (except Spider-Man) in the Marvel Universe. And it was glorious.

Maybe if the Titans fought their old villains more (Mother Mae Eye's cameo wasn't too impressive), and they did gags around that, it would be a better series.

Plus, the Brony jokes were funnier on Penguins of Madagascar. And they came out before Bronies were a thing.

Could anybody see Robin waiting in line at the grocery store while everybody else was fighting crime? I mean really? It would have made more sense to have Beast Boy or Cyborg doing it, given their fixation with food. Seems to me that they're just not putting enough thought into this series right now. Maybe things will pick up, who knows?
I dunno what's wrong. They've had fun versions of Robin before (The Batman/Young Justice... the second Robin in Batman TAS). I don't mind the tweaking of the character for the sake of humor, but this Robin is a consummate professional. Even when they had fun, he had a serious tone about him. Here, he's a ******. Not even funny. I cannot see this Robin acting like this, even for the sake of a joke. I mean, I like how they tweaked Leonardo in the new TMNT series to be not as mature and smart as he thinks he is, to the point of geeking out over a parody of the Filmation Star Trek series... but overall, he still is the most serious of the group. I dunno... for the sake of the joke, I can take Robin not looking at his beaten and bruised companions with concern, but the "I had it the worst because I had to wait" bit was just... if The Flea did it, it would be funny... if XR did it, it would be funny...if Beast Boy did it, it would be funny. Not Robin.

And seriously... Beast Boy eating a bacon sandwich? Did the writers forget that he "was some of those animals?"

Drtooth

Reaction score
UGH! Apparently people actually like this series.

Must be a female thing. They must think it's cute or something. I prefer cute and dangerous... like Max the rabbit of Sam and Max.

Seriously... I wanted to like the show when they first announced it last year.

robodog

Reaction score
Honestly? I lump it in the same category as Johnny Test. Okay to watch if there is absolutely nothing else but I'd never turn it on if there was anything even slightly better own. If there's an episode of Futurama on that I've seen hundreds of time and a new episode of Teen Titans or Johnny test I'm gonna go with the rerun.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The little kids like it. I can see why, but it's quite obvious that they only care about Demographic specific programming. Anyone older than 13 has to watch adult swim and nothing else. I think it's a sad realization that only adult cartoon viewers care about character development, long, fleshed out plot lines, and dramatic stories and characters.

Teen Titans Go seems like... well, you know an anime series that's sort of deep doesn't take itself too seriously, but slants more towards drama than comedy. Then well after it's done, it makes one or two comedy based OVA's with the characters squashed down.

Teen Titans Go is like that OVA series, only instead of one or two little episodes, it's a whole series and not as good. I've grown to be sort of okay with it, it can be funny at times, but it's missing a lot. It goes for generic kiddy comedy with the occasional adult bonus, but other than the background bits, they ignore the continuity and mythos that they should be making fun of instead. The episode with Raven's evil demon father being a parody sitcom style father? That was actually brilliant, and far better than most episodes. Even the episode that's essentially a gag about Speedy being an expy of Robin (noting that Green Arrow is very similar to Batman). We need more of that and less generic gags about trying to get the pizza delivery guy to deliver over 30 minutes.

Hopefully the second season will improve on that, and we'll see more of their original villains in parody form.

robodog

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever seen any of the Teen Titans show that this one is based off of but I've heard it was very good. And yes, this new show does have it's moments. There's always the chance it could improve.